EP45 DS3P - Wide Range of Problems Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45 DS3P - Wide Range of Problems Help please

Hello, I recently upgraded my old asus motherboard, ram and cpu because i suspected failings, mainly mobo mem slots. Now i bought a brand new Gigabyte EP45 DS3P, 2 sticks of 1gb Hyper X 1066 mem and a intel 8500 (3.16 ghz) cpu.

My current specs

8800gt 512mb
    2x1g 1066
    8500 3.16ghz
    EP45 DS3P
    2x750gb Raided samsung
    450w PSU
    Dvd-rw

I installed the new mobo with ram/cpu onboard into my case(iCute) plugged everything in and tried to boot (with my old 600w psu). But something was causing the cpu_led to flash and the system rebooted before it could even intillise bios. I swaped the 2 mem sticks from the 0, 2 slots to the 1, 3 slots and it booted. (odd). i next installed my raid then windows. Now heres the fun bit, it starts blue screening randomly (about twice a day) with nothing linking them. IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL is the message displayed i think, once i got a BAD_POOL_CALLER. I have also had a few random freezes. I pulled out the power and switched my ram for 2x1g 800 mem. They work fine in the yellow slots it seems. About an hour later i get the IRQL bluescreen again, now before i could write down the message my screen cuts out and system reboots. I installed an antec 450w psu and switched plugs on the wall. Still bluescreened random. (i started installing software before bluescreen and didnt make a backup =|) shuffling the sticks around doesnt seem to help either. My vaultages with my 450w are all as they should be... a bit over but only about .01 .

Also, my new hardware seems to lag on some games which i never lagged on before i upgraded. Some are much better then my old system i.e (crysis) but i still feel asif my computer is slower than it should be. I have tried reinstalling these games, reinstalling the latest nvidia drivers, searched for virus/malware/spyware. But all for naught...

I will post more of the troubleshooting i've done once i confirm with somebody.

Please help ^^ and ask for any additional infomation i forgot, this is the 2nd computer i've had in a row that just seems to have constant problems (have had this new system for about a week).

Regards Spoony, contact me via pm or [email protected] or just here.
    Last edited by Spoonysam; 10-22-2008, 11:48 PM.

Re: EP45 DS3P - Wide Range of Problems Help please

Sounds like ram settings to me. First off please test each one of your 1066 sticks at stock timings and manually set voltages with Memtest86+ to be sure you did not get sent a dead/dying stick >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

You did load optimized defaults for your system once you got up and running right? If not, you should do this. Load optimized defaults in the BIOS, save and apply and reboot BACK TO THE BIOS. You MUST do this to set your disk settings again for your RAID array, if you do not and let windows try to load you will corrupt your array. By the way, you are using the latest BIOS right? If not, please do go ahead and update it (DO NOT USE @BIOS) please see this for your various Qflash and flashing options >>>

P45 is a bit tricky, especially with ram and ram timings. I would assume this is likely your IRQ_Less... Issue, and probably also you game performance issue as well

Also be sure you also set Init First Display to PEG in integrated Peripherals page for the first PCIE slot (Peg2 for the second if you are using it)

Then please post for me what settings you are trying to use and I will advise you of what would be best for your setup and CPU speed. Ohh, you can put back in your larger PSU as I doubt highly this is the issue >>>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
    [b][u]MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)[/u][/b]
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: 
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 

[b][u]Clock Chip Control [/u][/b]
    [b][u]Standard Clock Control[/u][/b]
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled] 
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: Mhz
    [B]PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100[/B]

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

[b][u]Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter][/u][/b]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 

[b][u]DRAM Performance Control[/u][/b][u][/u]
    [B]Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD][/B]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

[b]Standard Timing Control[/b]
    CAS Latency Time........................
    tRCD .........................................
    tRP'...........................................
    tRAS..........................................

[b][u]Advanced Timing Control[/u][/b]
    tRRD...........................................
    tWTR..........................................
    tWR............................................
    tRFC...........................................
    tRTP...........................................
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

[u][b]Driving Strength Profiles[/b][/u][b][/b]
    Driving Strength ............................

[b]Channel A[/b]
    Static tRead Value.........................:7-10
     tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
     tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
     tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

[b]Channel B[/b]

[b][U]Motherboard Voltage Control[/U][/b][U][/U]
    Voltage Type.………... Manual
    [b]CPU[/b]
    CPU Vcore….……….........................:
    CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: <<< Leave
    CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: <<< Leave
    CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above)
    CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above)

[b]MCH/ICH[/b]
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 
    MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
    ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< Leave
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< Leave

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 
    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

[b][U]Advanced Settings[/U][/b][U][/U]
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

[b][U]Integrated Peripherals[/U][/b][U][/U]
    Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL stop errors are caused by software not hardware. When Windows is in the middle of scheduling an execution thread, it puts the processor at an Interrupt ReQuest Level (or IRQL) of ‘Dispatch’. This blocks further software interrupts from the scheduler until the process is complete, and nothing else is allowed to do anything that requires the scheduler to act. accessing a memory address in virtual memory is such an activity, because when a process generates a VM page fault, it is usually suspended while the slow hard disk gets around to delivering the requested page. The upshot of this is that drivers (and everything else but especially drivers) are restricted to the contents of physical memory while the IRQL is at dispatch. If anything breaks this rule (say because a corrupted pointer tries to access a random memory address), XP flings up the BSOD.

So the short answer is, you've got a driver issue. You can try reducing the size of your page file (for XP My Computer -> Proerpties -> Advanced -> Performance -> Advanced and then hit the Change button at the bottom)... 2GB or less should be fine, even if Windows recommends more. If this doesn't work, download and install the latest driver revision for your card (GeForce Release 178) and the latest OnBoard Sound and SATA drivers (although it could be your LAN driver as well if the connection is receiving/sending something and errs during the IRQL state) for your mobo (GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Driver - GA-EP45-DS3P (rev. 1.0)).

And if all else fails, try doing a clean reinstall of Windows and install the newest drivers for all your hardware.

EDIT: also, you might try flashing your BIOS to a newer revision before trying a full install of Windows.

Comment

Thanks, i will do all that is mentioned above. Just give me a bit.

Thankyou for responding so quickly

Comment

Bong, I can cause the same BSOD with incorrect timings as well, but ya you are right for sure too. Just wanted to comment to you that it can indeed be timings too tight as well.

Comment

yeah you could if you lowered you tRAS enough that it caused the data to become corrupted... its just that in my experience this type of error usually comes from software interface issues

Comment

Yeap, that and also To low of tRD can cause MANY BSOD's unrelated to the actual issue at hand, such as a IRQ BSOD. Memory often causes issues that seem unrelated for some reason

Comment

woohoo, currently after installing another psu and putting the 2x 1066 ram back in the computer fails to boot. the phase leds flashed for a few milliseconds and then the normaly red dormant phase light switches to orange and attempts to boot all fail. Puting back old 600w power supply, i dont know why. Why wont **** just work :'(, no i havnt run my finger up and down the contacts or zapped my mobo. =| this is getting rediculus i'm starting to wonder if i have some fault within my house electrics or ... just insaine bad luck.

Old 600w wont work either =/ please advise

Also very slight movement on the graphics card fan.
                Only thing unusual was we hit the pause button on the keyboard so we could read the bios version. Then went off to dinner, when we returned the computer was off and failed to reboot. could it be stuck in a weird power save level?
                Last edited by Spoonysam; 10-23-2008, 05:10 AM.

Comment

changed graphics card from 8800gt to 7900gt... Woot looks like my gcard is once again broken (i've had 3 faulty 8800gt's issued to me before this one) looks like there was a little cable jamming the fan, hope like hell it didnt short circut. any ideas?
                  Last edited by Spoonysam; 10-23-2008, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Bump

Comment

try removing the heatsink (be sure you dont wreck up any leads) and plug the card into your PCIe x16 slot with the heatsink/fan assembly just sitting beside it, ensuring there is nothing impeding the path of the fan and no crossed wires, bad solders etc. If you can boot like this, reattach the heatsink and game on! sometimes just taking things apart and doing nothing will make it work just because you dislodged something here or there

if all seems OK and you still cant boot, then you've either got a totally different problem or you're in need of an RMA

EDIT: oh yeah... there's really no need to bump after a mere 4 minutes... some might consider that spamming

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                        Sounds like ram settings to me. First off please test each one of your 1066 sticks at stock timings and manually set voltages with Memtest86+ to be sure you did not get sent a dead/dying stick >>>
                        Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

We booted with the 1066 HyperX memory in slots 1 and 3 (Red). Correctly identified as 1066, but 5-6-6-15 at 1.8V. Set the voltage to 2.2V. Rebooted OK and saw POST. Moved memory to slots 0 and 2 (yellow). Would not POST. Just powered up, spun the fan for a second or so, then rebooted. It repeated this cycle until powered off. Reset voltage to Auto (1.8V) and moved memory back to slots 1&3.

While checking the BIOS version we hit the pause key on the keyboard, noted the BIOS version, then went to dinner. When we came back the machine wouldn't boot. As noted below, we found the Gigabyte 8800GT card had died. Tried it on my ASUS P5B mobo and it was still dead.

Not good for a new Gigabyte motherboard - especially with a new power supply (Antec 500W).

You did load optimized defaults for your system once you got up and running right? If not, you should do this. Load optimized defaults in the BIOS, save and apply and reboot BACK TO THE BIOS. You MUST do this to set your disk settings again for your RAID array, if you do not and let windows try to load you will corrupt your array. By the way, you are using the latest BIOS right? If not, please do go ahead and update it (DO NOT USE @BIOS) please see this for your various Qflash and flashing options >>>

Yes, we did load the optimised defaults. Tried again anyway - made no difference.

P45 is a bit tricky, especially with ram and ram timings. I would assume this is likely your IRQ_Less... Issue, and probably also you game performance issue as well

A BIT tricky? Seriously tricky and dangerous!

Also be sure you also set Init First Display to PEG in integrated Peripherals page for the first PCIE slot (Peg2 for the second if you are using it)

Yes. Did that.

Then please post for me what settings you are trying to use and I will advise you of what would be best for your setup and CPU speed. Ohh, you can put back in your larger PSU as I doubt highly this is the issue >>>>

Keeping the new one on, just in case it was a power supply problem earlier - although that didn't stop the video card dying.

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
                        [B][U]MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)[/U][/B]
                        Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto
                        CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 9x
                        Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0 +0.5
                        CPU Frequency ...........................: 3.16Ghz (333x9.5)

[B][U]Clock Chip Control [/U][/B]
                        [B][U]Standard Clock Control[/U][/B]
                        CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled] Disabled
                        CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: Mhz 333
                        [B]PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100 Auto[/B]

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled] Disabled

[B][U]Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter][/U][/B]

[B][U]DRAM Performance Control[/U][/B]
                        [B]Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD] Standard[/B]
                        Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled Auto
                        (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto] Auto
                        System Memory Multiplier ..............: auto
                        Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 1066
                        DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual] auto

[B]Standard Timing Control[/B]
                        CAS Latency Time........................5 (all auto)
                        tRCD .........................................6
                        tRP'...........................................6
                        tRAS..........................................15

[B][U]Advanced Timing Control (All this stuff is on auto)[/U][/B]
                        tRRD...........................................
                        tWTR..........................................
                        tWR............................................
                        tRFC...........................................
                        tRTP...........................................

[U][B]Driving Strength Profiles[/B][/U]
                        Driving Strength ............................

[B]Channel A[/B]

[B]Channel B[/B]

[B][U]Motherboard Voltage Control[/U][/B]
                        Voltage Type.���... Manual Auto
                        [B]CPU[/B]
                        CPU Vcore�.���.........................: Auto
                        CPU Termination�..... 1.200V*.......: <<< Leave Auto
                        CPU PLL�������....1.500V*.......: <<< Leave Auto
                        CPU Referen.����....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto
                        CPU Reference2���,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto

[B]MCH/ICH[/B]
                        MCH Core�����.....1.100V...........: << Auto
                        MCH Reference�.��.0.800V...........; <<< Leave Auto 0.760
                        MCH/DRAM Ref.�......0.900V...........: <<< Leave Auto
                        ICH I/O������.....1.550V............: <<< Leave Auto 1.500
                        ICH Core����...��1.100V............: <<< Leave Auto

DRAM
                        DRAM Voltage ��....1.800V............: (Was 2.2, but set back to Auto, 1.8V)
                        DRAM Termination .�0.900V............: <<< Leave Auto
                        Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave Auto
                        Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave Auto

[B][U]Advanced Settings (no advanced settings set)[/U][/B]
                        Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                        No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                        CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                        C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                        x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                        CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                        CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                        Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

[B][U]Integrated Peripherals[/U][/B]
                        Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB
                        I've embedded my answers in the quote. The answers are in red.
                        Last edited by Spoonysam; 10-23-2008, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Thanks BongWizard. We removed the heatsink and it works fine. Reconnected the fan and the fan spins. Something must have been jammed or something. Great tip!!

Comment

So you all up and running now? It was a GFXc card issue or what?

If you still have issues with your ram I would advise these settings for you >>>>

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
                            Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Fast
                            CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 9x
                            Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0 +0.5
                            CPU Frequency ...........................: 3.16Ghz (333x9.5)

Clock Chip Control
                            Standard Clock Control
                            CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
                            CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: Mhz 333
                            PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled] Disabled

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]

DRAM Performance Control
                            Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD] Standard
                            Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
                            (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [333]
                            System Memory Multiplier ..............: 3.20
                            Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 1066
                            DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
                            CAS Latency Time........................5
                            tRCD .........................................5
                            tRP'...........................................5
                            tRAS..........................................15

All settings below, set to highest first, then later lower one by one testing between each move

Advanced Timing Control (All this stuff is on auto)
                            tRRD...........................................3-6
                            tWTR..........................................3-6 (May need 12 to boot thru first time)
                            tWR............................................4-6 (May need 14 to boot thru first time)
                            tRFC...........................................38-42 for 2x1 (May need 48 first time)
                            tRTP...........................................3-6

Driving Strength Profiles
                            Driving Strength ............................1066 or 1200, the latter may be better

Channel A
                            Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
                            Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Channel B
                            Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
                            Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
                            Voltage Type.………... Manual Auto
                            CPU
                            CPU Vcore….……….........................: Auto
                            CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: <<< Leave Auto
                            CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: <<< please set to what you see as Auto, auto often overvolts this

CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto
                            CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto

MCH/ICH
                            MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: <<1.1-1.2 for stability
                            MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave Auto 0.760
                            MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave Auto
                            ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< Leave Auto 1.500
                            ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< Leave Auto

DRAM
                            DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.0-2.1 (2.2 is hot, and likely not needed, but it very well could be, I would try 2.1 and if all the above does not help use 2.2 and put a fan on the ram)

Comment

We still have a problem with the video card.

We cleaned off all the old heatsink compound and put the heatsink and fan unit back on using a light smear of Unick heatsink compound (the stuff Dick Smith sells).

After a couple of minutes there was a burning smell. The top of the capacitors were too hot to touch. Also an area with a diameter of 2cm around the capacitors was very hot; the card has never been so hot after just simple idleing. The copper part of the heatsink (gigabyte 8800gt 512mb with Zulman heatsink + fan), smelt burnt and charred. We shut down and cleaned the card of any dust, in case reinstalling the heatsink had moved some dust over a hot spot, then tried again. We installed RivaTuner to find out how hot the card was getting. By the time i had started to read the manual a person 3m away could smell the burning. We called it quits and shut down until we talked to you guys.

The only review I can find for Unick heatsink compound is on Overclockers.com.au, and it estimates a 2 or 3 degree difference between it and Arctic Silver II. I suspect it isn't, because of the heat problem with the capacitors, but is there any chance it might be a heatsink compound problem?

This is starting to sound like an RMA job. Have we voided the warranty by removing the fan and heatsink?

Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                              X