Problem with GA-X48-DS5 and Q9550?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with GA-X48-DS5 and Q9550?

I'm having a problem with a system I built. It's only the second one I've built so I want to hear the "I know it's stupid but did you check..." type of questions.

The problems:
    1. the speed of the cpu varies. From 1.999GHz to 2.666. It never gets up to 2.83. I have EIST disabled in the bios and the dynamic energy saver stuff is off. This is according to cpuz and other utilities. They agree on the speed. The speed does increase under load but never above 2.666. Then when idle it drops down to 1.9999

2. I can run one instance of prime95 on any core and it is fine. I can run 2 instances on any two cores and it's fine. But when I start the 3 instance the system locks up solid. I have had all cores loaded around 80% doing other things. I can run 3dMark06.

3. I'm trying to use a raid setup but I can't get into the raid setup bios. On screen it says <ctrl> <I> but that does not work. Hit it once, 20 times or hold the keys down constantly.

The temps dont seem out of line. Idle the cores are 36,32,38,28.

The system:
    Q9550 E0 stepping, GA-X48-DS5 mother board with f8a bios, Corsair TX 750W ps, Asus 4870X2 TOP graphics board, 8GB OCZ 1066 memory, Vista X64, cosmos case with 4 fans, version 8.10 of CCC

Anyone have any thoughts?

Re: Problem with GA-X48-DS5 and Q9550?

I fixed the issue with the cpu speed. I missed disabling either C1E or TM2 or both.

But I still have the problem with running more than two copies of prime95 and the problem with being unable to enter the raid setup in the bios.

Comment

C1E and EIST is speedstep, you want TM2 enabled.

Use orthos, it will only need one instance to load all cores. Without you posting your speed you are using I really could not say why Prime fails for you. 8GB of memory is likely why, if you have all the memory and voltages on Auto that is why. 8GB needs several things manually set (MCH Voltage, Ram voltage, trfc)

RAID must be enabled in the BIOS and setup before the system is intalled, and you must load a RAID Driver when you install the system (Vista, Via the "Load Driver" Button when you see disks to choose to install to)

And please do note there is two RAID Controllers on your board and both have separate BIOS options. The Intel Controller uses the yellow ports And is the settings for it are the very top part of the Advanced BIOS page. The Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller uses the purple ports and is the Middle settings of the above mentioned page.

They also of course use different OS install drivers, so keep note of that when you load your driver. You can use USB Stick to load drivers off of for vista (You want the -1MB driver for either Intel/Gigabyte for OS install) >>>
      GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Driver - GA-X48-DS5

Comment

Thanks.

I did up the memory voltage to the 2.1v the memory wants. Do I really need to change the other items ? If so what do I change them to? I see MCH voltage but I didn't see trfc.

I do have raid enabled. I have the two drives plugged into the intel ports. I see the raid bios messages on the screen and the hit ctrl I <ctrl> to enter setup but that doesn't work. It does list the drives correctly but then says they are non-raid drives. What does that mean? Would that have anything to do with the problem?

I went ahead and installed vista. I did install the raid driver during the install. Are you saying that now that I have vista already installed I can't set up the raid array? Assuming I could get into the bios setup.

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
        C1E and EIST is speedstep, you want TM2 enabled.

Use orthos, it will only need one instance to load all cores. Without you posting your speed you are using I really could not say why Prime fails for you. 8GB of memory is likely why, if you have all the memory and voltages on Auto that is why. 8GB needs several things manually set (MCH Voltage, Ram voltage, trfc)

RAID must be enabled in the BIOS and setup before the system is intalled, and you must load a RAID Driver when you install the system (Vista, Via the "Load Driver" Button when you see disks to choose to install to)

And please do note there is two RAID Controllers on your board and both have separate BIOS options. The Intel Controller uses the yellow ports And is the settings for it are the very top part of the Advanced BIOS page. The Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller uses the purple ports and is the Middle settings of the above mentioned page.

They also of course use different OS install drivers, so keep note of that when you load your driver. You can use USB Stick to load drivers off of for vista (You want the -1MB driver for either Intel/Gigabyte for OS install) >>>
        GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Driver - GA-X48-DS5
        </ctrl>

Comment

Ok, a little googling and trfc = refresh to ACT delay right? It looks like auto set that to 72? So do I need to change it higher? I'm assuming that when the bios shows 72 Auto that means the auto value is 72.

Comment

Yes, sorry trfc is refresh to act, And Auto values that you see are not always used. Best to set manually. And yes, to be stable with 8GB it would be best to manually set/tweak it all. Auto is made for 2x1 so users may get into the BIOS with most any ram, and for sure is not the best to run even with 2x1

As for RAID, you have to set up a RAID array, meaning create one in the RAID BIOS. Did you read the manual? It shows you how to do this, there is too many steps for me to list them out, but it is simple. You choose the disk, stripe size and Array type basically and then create it

And no, since you have already installed vista (With the AHCI/SATA driver, as it would not install the RAID part of the driver with no RAID Present) you will have to reinstall vista. You have to create the RAID Array first in the RAID BIOS, and then install vista.

Please do read the back of the manual about installing Vista, and setting up RAID if you have not. It is all shown there with images to guide you >>>

Not trying to sound unhelpful at all with the manual comments, it is just easier for you to read how to setup RAID then for me to explain it to you. It is in the back of the manual in chapter 5 I believe >>>
            GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Manual - GA-X48-DS5

Comment

sorry for hijacking your thread mate :)

i have almsot same computer as you and i also have 8gm ram

what is the manual settings i have to change?

i dont have same memory, i have 8g of Corsair XMS2 DHX TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX

Comment

No problem.

In regards to the manual settings for 8GB of ram. What do I need to set trfc to? Is manually settting it to 72 ok? Higher? Lower? And what about the northbridge voltage? How much higher should I increase it? And once I enable the manual setting of those parameters will I have to manually set the values of all hte other settings or can I use the default values that will be there?

No problem with the suggestion on reading hte manual. My problem is I can't get into the raid setup bios. I see the message on the screen to hit ctrl -I to go to the setup but it doesn't work. No matter when or how many times I hit ctrl-I it doesn't enter the raid setup. Is there any bios setting other than the raid enable setting I have to change to be able to enter the raid setup bios?

thanks,

Yes, sorry trfc is refresh to act, And Auto values that you see are not always used. Best to set manually. And yes, to be stable with 8GB it would be best to manually set/tweak it all. Auto is made for 2x1 so users may get into the BIOS with most any ram, and for sure is not the best to run even with 2x1

As for RAID, you have to set up a RAID array, meaning create one in the RAID BIOS. Did you read the manual? It shows you how to do this, there is too many steps for me to list them out, but it is simple. You choose the disk, stripe size and Array type basically and then create it

And no, since you have already installed vista (With the AHCI/SATA driver, as it would not install the RAID part of the driver with no RAID Present) you will have to reinstall vista. You have to create the RAID Array first in the RAID BIOS, and then install vista.

Please do read the back of the manual about installing Vista, and setting up RAID if you have not. It is all shown there with images to guide you >>>

Not trying to sound unhelpful at all with the manual comments, it is just easier for you to read how to setup RAID then for me to explain it to you. It is in the back of the manual in chapter 5 I believe >>>
                GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Manual - GA-X48-DS5
                Last edited by GuruMediation; 10-24-2008, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Not a problem. Glad the questions also help someone else.

Originally posted by selo View Post
                  sorry for hijacking your thread mate :)

i have almsot same computer as you and i also have 8gm ram

what is the manual settings i have to change?

i dont have same memory, i have 8g of Corsair XMS2 DHX TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX

Comment

@ Guru, yes you have to enable RAID in the BIOS before you can get into the RAID BIOS. Do you have a PS/2 Keyboard? I ask this because I thought maybe you are using a USB Keyboard and it is having issues with things. But since you can get into the BIOS via the delete key maybe not. You may just need some BIOS settings changed. Please post a pic of your advanced BIOS page or tell me the settings you are trying to use for RAID, and where you have your disks plugged into

To both of you, for 8GB you would need to set these ranges for a loose run, and then lower and test as you go >>>

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-6
                    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 4-6 (9-12)
                    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 6-8 (11-16)
                    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 60-75 (Depends on speed, quality, other settings. May need more or less)

Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-8
                    Static tRead Value_______________7-12 (Depends on FSB speed/ram speed and ram quality)
                    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto] << always leave

GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal] <<< 100-250ps

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] =2.1V (Check your ram sticker, 2.0 may be fine either way)

PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
                    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
                    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V - +0.35V]

Comment

I don't mean to sound like an idiot but which range shoud I use? For
                      should I use 4-6 or 9-12? And which one is considered loose? I'm guessing whether high or low is loose will vary from parameter to parameter? Since I don't know what any of these values mean how do I find out which value to use? I'm not interested in over clocking I just want to run things at their rated speed.

thanks,

@ Guru, yes you have to enable RAID in the BIOS before you can get into the RAID BIOS. Do you have a PS/2 Keyboard? I ask this because I thought maybe you are using a USB Keyboard and it is having issues with things. But since you can get into the BIOS via the delete key maybe not. You may just need some BIOS settings changed. Please post a pic of your advanced BIOS page or tell me the settings you are trying to use for RAID, and where you have your disks plugged into

To both of you, for 8GB you would need to set these ranges for a loose run, and then lower and test as you go >>>

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-6
                      Write to Precharge Delay_________ 6-8 (11-16)
                      Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 60-75 (Depends on speed, quality, other settings. May need more or less)

Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-8
                      Static tRead Value_______________7-12 (Depends on FSB speed/ram speed and ram quality)
                      Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto] << always leave

GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal] <<< 100-250ps

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                      DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] =2.1V (Check your ram sticker, 2.0 may be fine either way)

PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
                      FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
                      (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V - +0.35V]

Comment

Hey, you dont sound like a idiot! If you did not ask, then maybe that would be silly

All of those, the higher values are loose/more stable, but that particular one you asked about by name should benchmark at both ranges as either could be best depending on your ram.

The rest, all higher values are loose and the lower you go will increase performance/decrease stability without testing

Comment

Ok, I'm a little smarter. I read the great post you put up on memory timing. I ran memset and this is what it is reporting for the SPD values.
                          5-5-5-15
                          command rate 2T
                          row cycle time 26
                          refresh cycle time 71
                          ror to row delay 4
                          write recovery time 6
                          write to read delay 4
                          read precharg 4
                          refresh 7,8
                          voltage 2.1

this is with all memory related settings at auto except the voltage. I increased that 0.3

One thing that is strange is the tRAS value. Memset is reporting 15 but the memory spec says 18

So, what would you suggest as far as setting changes?

Oh, I found the problem with not being able to get into the raid setup bios. I am using a usb keyboard. It works for the main bios but to make it work for the raid bios I had to change the bios setting to use the usb keyboard in ms-dos mode. The default is disabled.

Hey, you dont sound like a idiot! If you did not ask, then maybe that would be silly

All of those, the higher values are loose/more stable, but that particular one you asked about by name should benchmark at both ranges as either could be best depending on your ram.

The rest, all higher values are loose and the lower you go will increase performance/decrease stability without testing

Comment

SPD settings from Memset are just what is programmed into your ram, if you use SPD in your BIOS they will be used. If not, what you manually set is all that will be used, and can be seen on the main Memset page only

As for changes... Not sure. What do you have set in the BIOS? And really it would be up to you what would be stable or not anyway as you should test your ram as you lower the settings. The ranges I gave you before are what you should use

Comment

Working...
                            X