Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA78GM-S2H / AMD Phenom X4 / Corsair Lockups

Re: GA-MA78GM-S2H / AMD Phenom X4 / Corsair Lockups

I do not know much about AMD, but I can tell you with 4GB you need to add Memory controller Voltage and set Refresh to act delay (trfc) as high as your board will allow (54+ is needed, some allow this some do not). And be SURE your ram voltage it also set to 2.0-2.1V (Likely your ram spec on sticker right?)

Here is OCZ not about this, Corsair I am not sure about if they will help you or not >>>
    The importance of tRFC and 4/8GB of memory - OCZ Forum

If you do need me to get you a tool to change your SPD Value for trfc (If your board will not allow a high setting) let me know and I will provide you a link. WILL Invalidate your warranty

Comment

Thanks for the advice, it is very much appreciated.
      I'm a little confused over the trfc setting. I've looked in the BIOS and I seem to have options of 75, 105, 127.5, 195 and 327.5 - I don't seem to have the values that you and others have quoted. Am I being a bit dumb here and am looking at the wrong thing?
      I've tried various combinations of trfc and voltage but have not found one that seems to improve matters. Some combinations result in either a complete failure to boot at all or they hang during the POST.
      Thanks for the offer of a tool to change the SDP (I'll have a read about what that is and get back to you if I decide to go down that route).
      I'll have a go at a few more permutations to try and narrow this down a bit.
      Thanks again for trying to help

Comment

Ya, Intel and AMD are different, that is the correct setting. I just did not mention it that way because not all AMD boards have it written like that either.

127 or less is the normal for 2x1, so I would think you should set 327.

Good luck, and let me know how you get along. Hey, have you asked the RAMGUY, Corsair Support forum for settings? >>>
        The Corsair Support Forums - Powered by vBulletin

You may be able to get some more direct answers there.

Comment

Thanks once again. I'll try RAMGuy at Corsair and see if he can help out. I did try 2x1GB in the box and it ran all afternoon without skipping a beat.
          Cheers.

Comment

Ya, it is just 2x2 needs some tweaking for sure. Let me know if the Ram guy is of now help, Ill look up your specific ram and find some others settings for you

Comment

Great, if you find anything out do let me know.
              I've started a thread over on the Corsair site (with RAMGuy), if that leads to a solution I'll post it back here as well.
              Thanks

Comment

I did find you a 100 Page thread about your board >>>
                The Official Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H RS780 mATX Thread - AVS Forum

Maybe that will help, I would imagine you can find tons of settings in it

I did just see he suggested just that to you! I suggest you ask him directly what trfc setting you should use, this is the issue most of the time.

Aside from the above link, here is a Few forums that have AMD Specific sections where you should get a more clear answer about general AMD 2x2 trfc and other settings >>>

Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

EXTREME Overclocking Forums - Learn To Overclock Your PC Hardware

Motherboards - [H]ard|Forum
                Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Thanks once more for the reply and the links - I'll take a look at them tomorrow when I have more time. It's really funny that you are following the thread on the Corair site and that you predicted that they'd suggest running the memory more slowly (i.e. at 667). The setting they provided have left me with a working machine for which I'm grateful (I'll list their suggestion here too for completeness) and you are right that it is disappointing. After all, if you bought a Ferrari you'd not expect to be told to keep it under 100mph when the marketing blurb says it will do more!

The suggestion (which worked) from RamGuy:

MB Intellegent Tweaker

DRAM Configuration = Enter

tCL (CAS Latency) = 5T
                  tRCD (RAS to CAS R/W Delay) = 5T
                  tRP (Row Precharge Time) = 5T
                  tRAS (Minimum RAS Active Time) = 15T
                  1T/2T Command Timing = 2T

Leave all other Memory Timings to Auto

CPU Clock Ratio = 12X
                  CPU Host Clock Control = Manual
                  CPU Frequency (MHz) = Set to 200
                  Set Memory Clock = DDR 667

System Voltage Control = Auto
                  CPU Voltage Control = Auto
                  DDR2 Voltage Control = +.2v
                  CPU Spread Spectrum : Enabled (I didn't find this setting)</pre>
                  Thanks
                  Last edited by NickJones; 10-22-2008, 12:49 PM. Reason: typeo

Comment

Spread Spectrum, do you have the latest BIOS for your board? If so, then on the MAIN page of the BIOS hit Ctrl + F1 and the screen will flash, then go into MIT and see if you can see it as it may be a hidden setting.
                    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your advice. You are right, I will make enquiries to see if I can return the memory.
                      Cheers
                      Nick

Comment

Good luck, and keep us posted on what happens

Comment

As a closing note for anybody who may be interested - I did return the Corsair memory and swapped it for some Kingston equivalents KHX6400D2K2/4G. These were a lot easier to live with, in the BIOS I loaded the optimized defaults and set the speed to 800 - job done. No messing around tweaking voltages. Thank you ebuyer.com for doing the swap and turning them around in double-quick time
                          Last edited by NickJones; 10-31-2008, 02:10 PM. Reason: Tweaked the URL

Comment

Nice to hear it! So you all good then?

Comment

Working...
                            X