Problems Upgrading GA-965P-DS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems Upgrading GA-965P-DS3

To support my Photoshop habit, I decided to update the old P965.

After running a 3.2 ghz processor w a gb of cheap crucial ram, I decided to up the ante a bit. First I switched to 4 gb of 4-4-4-12 PQI RAM (4 x 1 gb). No problems. Then I added a Q6600, and started to get system hangs. I get a BSOD more often in Photoshop than elsewhere.

A M$ note that came up indicated a possible BIOS issue where the core dump indicated a BIOS and processor mis-match.

I didn't flash the BIOS from the original F4 version.

I noticed the BIOS says the procesor temp is 20 deg C (which seems unlikely) and the Zahlman copper orb style cooler wasn't running very fast. The case is well ventilated, but does not seem to be putting out much heat. I figure I should set the fan on full (manuL) for any future experiments.

As the system is in an akward spot, I haven't checked the board rev yet (took me some time to figure out just where to look, but I'm there now), but I know its the F4 version sold in the US, and by inference, I'm assuming its Rev 1.3 (yes, I'll check for certain before I update the BIOS).

So, is it crappy RAM, wrong BIOS for the Q6600, or excessive heat that's the first priority?

Any thoughts on a path forward will be appreciated.

Dave

Re: Problems Upgrading GA-965P-DS3

Check your DDR voltage Those chips may need 2.0~2.2(if not a little more). You need to find out what the spec voltages are

Go to the M.I.T. section in the BIOS.

Since by default the DDRv is 1.8v, you need to increase the DDR Overvoltage to match your memory's spec.

While your there up the MCH overvoltage to +.100~.150.

Highly advise that you use MemTest86+. It's a free download. You just need to figure out which version coincides with your chipset.

Comment

Well, first you should update the BIOS since that is a old BIOS. And second, when you install a new CPU you should always Load and apply optimized defaults in the BIOS (This you will have covered when you flash properly)

Second, depending on what CPU you are coming from, Likely a PD or P4 right? You should do a clean install of windows

And that with the above suggestions and you will be back in business

Comment

Thanks!

Will proceed down this path and report results.

Dave

Comment

After upping the MCH voltage 0.1 v, things stabilized a lot.

Using Memtest86 (albiet ver 2.x) I was getting some errors on test 5

The board said Rev 1.0 so I dug up a 1.0 BIOS (F13) off the TW board. Off on a tangent, I found I couldn't use a USB stick for the BIOS upgrade. After digging up a floppy, I got the BIOS upgraded. Then renewed the Windoze install and updated the drivers.

This got the core temps straightened out - I'm seeing mid-thirties for the cores now and the CPU cooler runs fast on auto.

Now the system is stable and Memtest86 (ver 3.4) isn't showing any errors.

Thanks a bunch!

Comment

Nice to hear you are running smoothly. I do recommend Memtest86+ though, over memtest86/Memtest. >>>
            Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

And again, great to hear you are having much better luck now! Post back anytime

Comment

Working...
            X