Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put in 4Gb more of RAM(8Gb total)...another BSOD!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put in 4Gb more of RAM(8Gb total)...another BSOD!!

Kept the same timings/sub-timings as with 2x2Gb.

Booted up the DDRv +.30v for a total of 2.1v spec.

Got the MCHv at +.200

About 2 hours passed after putting in 2 brand new 2Gb Mushkins (for a grand total of 8Gb of RAM...I'm running XP Pro x64 Edition now) that I got a BSOD. Was in the middle of Windows Updates.

So, do I need a little more voltage for DDRv and/or MCH???

Do I need to loosen up the timings a hair???

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Put in 4Gb more of RAM(8Gb total)...another BSOD!!

Maybe more MCH, just abit. No more Ram voltage will be needed, and you can likely run 2.0

Using the same settings as 2x2 is likely your issue. I would raise them all back up high, and slowly lower/tweak them again.

Why 8GB?

Comment

and you can likely run 2.0
      Are you saying the RAM voltage could be run at 2.0v?? Spec calls for 2.05~2.1v.

So I take it that "...more RAM = more voltage..." is incorrect.

MCH overvoltage is already at +.20v. You still think I might a little more like say +.225~.250????

Why 8GB?
      Why not?? Got the XP Pro x64 Edition installed. Ran fast with the 4Gb in, even faster with 8Gb in. Sees all the memory now. I'm still learning the in's and out's of 64-bit.

I had a feeling the timings were a little too tight.

Comment

Well Mushkin tends to like Less voltage actually. And what you see as spec's is ONLY the warrantied amount, not what is needed at all

Ya, maybe more MCH, maybe not. Only testing can let you know, you may need .3+ even

Well why not I would say is you will never use 4GB unless you are a video producer so no need and it does cause more points of failure and stability/heat

Ya, loosen up your ram timings for sure so you can tweak them again for 8GB as it will not be the same for sure with double the IC chips now being used

Comment

Raised the MCHv to +.20

Last night I tested with MemTest86+. I ran it for 1 complete round (about 1 hour 15 minutes) and came up with no errors.

I ran MemTest86+ again this morning, with the same settings (I think...), and I got errors up the ying yang right off the bat. I went back into the BIOS, loosened up all the sub-timings 2 clicks. All that succeeded in doing was slowing down the memory speed. Still got errors, and lots of them. What the heck happened????

Right now I am testing just with the original 2x2GB Ascents installed. Don't forsee any errors with that. Then I'll test with just the 2x2GB XP2's and see what happens....

Comment

UPDATE

Tested the 2x2GB Ascents by themselves, 1 full round, passed...

Tested the 2x2GB XP2's by themselves, 1 full round passed....

Testing with 2x2GB XP2's and (1) 2GB Ascent: the XP2's in the #1 and #3 Slot and the Ascent in the #2 slot.....
            Last edited by DavidDavisLeeSomething; 10-18-2008, 03:32 PM.

Comment

just so i know for the future, what static tread do u use?

EDIT:
              OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG I HAVE 69 POSTS!!!! IM Pr*n STAR!@!
              xP

Comment

Static Read (Performance Level) is 6

Comment

why won't you try it higher as 10-11(for 4*2GB):S and then tweak it down..
                  dam you, u had to post back so fast?! now i dont have 69 posts anymore :<< jk :P

Comment

With all 8GB in I had the tRAS on 18, Static Read on 8 and I had all the other subs +2 clicks as well, slowed the memory down quite abit...still got tons of errors

Comment

Still testing with 2x2GB XP2's and (1) 2GB Ascent: the XP2's in the #1 and #3 Slot and the Ascent in the #2 slot.....

Standard Performance

5-5-5-15

tRRD ------------------------------ 4
                      Rank Write to Read -----------------4
                      Write to Precharge ------------------8
                      Refresh to ACT --------------------- 68
                      Read to Precharge ------------------4
                      Static Read ------------------------ 6
                      Static Read Phase ------------------AUTO

So far, so good....

Comment

well the memory sticks are not faulty right? cause u get no errors.
                        so what left are timings, or voltages :S when u try 2*4 i say try static 11 just to be sure!
                        and i dont know how the over voltage works, but i believe you need 1.34 which is +0.24 if im not mistaken.
                        driving strength 1066?

Comment

Got DDRv +.25 for total of 2.05v. Won't need to go any higher than 2.1v for DDRv according to Mushkin.

Got the MCH +.250v...

Still testing with above setting, so SLOWWWW in Flex Mode. Manual says it's supposed to be same as Dual Channel Mode. Memory speed went down to 4070 MB/s in MemTest from approx. 4700 MB/s with 2 sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidDavisLeeSomething View Post
                            Got DDRv +.25 for total of 2.05v. Won't need to go any higher than 2.1v for DDRv according to Mushkin.

Got the MCH +.250v...

Still testing with above setting, so SLOWWWW in Flex Mode. Manual says it's supposed to be same as Dual Channel Mode. Memory speed went down to 4070 MB/s in MemTest from approx. 4700 MB/s with 2 sticks.

ROLLING ON FLOR LAUGHING OUT LOUD!!!
                            that's sad man XD
                            nvm u'll do some tweaking afterward :S

Comment

I'm not gonna tweak the timings yet. I'll see how this SLOW test goes then I'll put the other 2GB Ascent in the #4 Slot so I gets real Dual Channel speed.

What's with the manual saying that Flex Mode is the same as Dual Channel...unless they're talking about having all 4 slots occupied but with different size chips.

Comment

Working...
                              X