Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-DS4 new build

Hello everyone,

I am going to build my first PC and will hopefully get some help here to do just that.

My specs are:
    EP45-DS4
    E8500
    2X 1GB DDR2 Corsair Dominator CM2X1024-8500C5D (2.1V)
    Temp (7900GTX)
    Corsair 620HX PSU
    Antec P182
    DVD/CD drive
    Samsung F1 Spinpoint 750GB HDD

1. I have read that it is best to build outside the case first off to see if MB posts, hence I will connect keyboard and mouse and display, no HDD or Optical drive. What would be the expected outcome if all is well, will it say no OS found or no HDD drive and no LEDs to indicate fault, is that correct?

WILL IT FAIL AS RAM IS 2.1V I believe default on MB is 1.8V, so do I need to switch MB on go striaght into setup and change RAM voltage first?

2. If that is all good, then do I build it inside and attach HDD and optical drive.

What should be the final message this time?

3. In the manual it says first load OS and then after OS is loaded, insert gigabyte CD and install drivers, that seems odd, is that correct?

many thanks

krishan
    krishan

EP45-DS4
    E8500
    4G Corsair CM2X1024-8500C5D 1066MHz 2.1V
    Samsung spinpoint F1 750GB
    XFX 898MB 260GTX
    Corsair HX620

Re: GA-EP45-DS4 new build

Congrats on making your first Build, it is fun (And addictive so watch out ) !!!

1. Yes, you can do this if you like. Yes, it will say no disk found after the BIOS post screen and IRQ screen go by. You can be sure the system works just by seeing the BIOS outside the case, if you can get into it you are fine. "Most" all ram, be it 2.1 or 2.3, ect will default to 1.8V so you should be fine. If you have a Older DDR2 stick just incase that would be good, as I have saw a few Corsair's recently that would not post at 1.8V. But it is a Standard/law Type of thing, By this rule All DDR2 should post at Defaults of 5-5-5-15/18 @ 800Mhz, 1.8V.

2. Message will be the same until you set your disk settings properly in the BIOS, then you can install Windows

3. Yes, that is correct, you will need to install windows and then install your drivers off the CD, such as sound drivers, chipset, ect.

Good luck, and post back with some progress reports as you get going. When do you plan to start?

Comment

I think I will start next week, I want to build up a action plan and sort of know what to expect at each stage.

You mention I need to figure the HDD is BIOS, why? I thought I only have to partition it and then load windows, I am not doing RAID which I would have to go into BIOS and change setting, but I thought with a standard drive you dont have to do anything.

Can you confirm if it does not POST on the RAM will the RAM LED be on? and do I go into MD Tweeker and take DRAM Voltage of auto and set to 2.1V?

Also, if ever a MB does not complete POST can you press the power button to start if off again and then go striaght into BIOS to make changes?

thanks
      krishan
      krishan

EP45-DS4
      E8500
      XFX 898MB 260GTX
      Corsair HX620

Comment

Sorry but one other question, there is a difference between pin outs on the P182 and EP45-DS4 on HD Audio, please look at pin 6, while on 97 Audio it all seems ok, so would you say its better to connect the 97 Audio to header from case front panel?

krishan
        Attached Files
        krishan

EP45-DS4
        E8500
        XFX 898MB 260GTX
        Corsair HX620

Comment

Depending on what system you plan to install, you will need to load a driver. And yes, you must configure the BIOS disk settings

Ya you will be able to set the voltage to 2.1, but depending on your sticks of ram it may or may not boot at 1.8. All ram should though, so I would not worry about it

Ya, you can use the power button to restart the system. What is the differences between pins 6? And yes, you can use AC'97 if you like, but You may also just need to remove or move a wire for HD.

Ill check this post when I get back later today as I am about to leave. If you want post me pic's of both diagrams and I will let you know

I do not have office installed, so you will have to tell me what pin 6 differences are or Post some pics
          Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 10-18-2008, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Re: Hmm.. That's realy cool!

Originally posted by imana86
            hmm.. That's realy cool! ------ jim (hot kicks).
            dam you, i entered the site!!!

Comment

[quote=Lsdmeasap;264765]Depending on what system you plan to install, you will need to load a driver. And yes, you must configure the BIOS disk settings

Could explain this please I don't have a clue

Ill check this post when I get back later today as I am about to leave. If you want post me pic's of both diagrams and I will let you know

There is attachment already called audio, the left hand side is the antec P182 with pin 6 as MIC2_JD, I googled that and it said it is the MIC return, so it might be ok, not sure.
              cheers
              krishan

********OS is XP HOME**********
              Last edited by krishcanag; 10-18-2008, 11:14 AM.
              krishan

EP45-DS4
              E8500
              XFX 898MB 260GTX
              Corsair HX620

Comment

In the BIOS, Advanced BIOS Settings page, you will have to set your disk settings. This is all in your manual, do you not have the board yet? If so, I understand, if not you should read the manual first for sure since this is your first build.

You will have to have a floppy for XP to install a SATA driver, or slipstream it to your install disk. Vista will allow you to use a USB, but XP will not. Some XP Disks may have the driver already on it, but not likely if it is a Purchased or OEM copy.

You will have to press F6 and load the driver in XP before the install starts, you will be asked. In vista you will use a Load driver button.

Here is your manual PDF incase you do not have the board yet and are just wanting to gain some knowledge before you get started. The Install Directions are towards the end >>>>
                GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Manual - GA-EP45-DS4 (rev. 1.0)

I see the attachement, but I said I do not have Office installed so I cannot view it. Please post pics of the diagrams. You can upload them to tinypic.com and place the direct url here in img tags like so >>>

[img]Direct URL of Image goes here[/img]

Comment

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> Hi</v:shapetype>
                  <v:shapetype stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"></v:shapetype>
                  <v:shapetype stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600">firstly, thanks very much for your help.</v:shapetype>
                  <v:shapetype stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"></v:shapetype>
                  <v:shapetype stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600">I have attached antec pin outs, as you can see page 30 of gigabyte manual says pin 6 should be GND, Antec says it is MIC2_JD which could be return for the mic. What to do think, safe to put it on HD?</v:shapetype>
                  <v:shapetype stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600">Ok I have the MB and did not see chapter5. so yes read it. According to manual since I have one disk I select option 7 and then that should copy file over to floppy, is that correct?</v:shapetype>
                  <v:shapetype stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600">Can I use a win98 startup disk, no experience of bookdisk on XP?</v:shapetype>
                  <v:shapetype stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600">Also is BIOS i go to int. peripherials and set top meanu option to AHCI mode, is that correct?</v:shapetype>
                  <v:shapetype stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600">krishan</v:shapetype>
                  Attached Files
                  krishan

EP45-DS4
                  E8500
                  XFX 898MB 260GTX
                  Corsair HX620

Comment

Since the antec P182 does not have a case speaker I came arocss this and bought it, a pizo speaker. Can this be connected to the speaker for beep codes and does it matter which around it goes? One of the legs is makes KSP (white wire)
                    Attached Files
                    krishan

EP45-DS4
                    E8500
                    XFX 898MB 260GTX
                    Corsair HX620

Comment

I would use AC'97 and remove the 6 and 10 Pins from your case wire.

If I understand you right, yes you would choose AHCI in the BIOS and then #7 is to copy the intel AHCI Driver onto a floppy. Once loaded using F6 you will be asked to select the exact driver you want loaded, choose the one with AHCI and ICH10R in the name and then windows will install.

You do not have to use AHCI though, you would use the same driver though. Just set AHCI/RAID mode to disabled.

Ya, you can use that speaker, any speaker will do. And it should work either way plugged in. But I do believe that the white wire is the POS + one if you wanted to plug it in properly

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                        I would use AC'97 and remove the 6 and 10 Pins from your case wire.

OK

If I understand you right, yes you would choose AHCI in the BIOS and then #7 is to copy the intel AHCI Driver onto a floppy. Once loaded using F6 you will be asked to select the exact driver you want loaded, choose the one with AHCI and ICH10R in the name and then windows will install.

You do not have to use AHCI though, you would use the same driver though. Just set AHCI/RAID mode to disabled.

If not AHCI what could you select for but you say I should slect disabled!!

I am now a bit confused, so I go into Integ. Per.. and make sure SATA RAID/AHCI mode is disabled as default (then there is no changes to BIOS since I am not doing RAID, you said I had to configure BIOS at the start of this thread, so I am confused, except getting the driver and then installing it)

Next follow 5-1-2 making driver diskette, Now the only way I got this to work was, on my labtop I just opened as normal, went into bootdrv dir. and double clicked menu and then it loaded the files onto a:\ not USB.

Ya, you can use that speaker, any speaker will do. And it should work either way plugged in. But I do believe that the white wire is the POS + one if you wanted to plug it in properly
                        ok thanks, I think that just about covers the full process, I would like to submit a procedure in full to this thread that you could go through and tell me if I what I expect to happen and what will happen may differ.

thanks
                        krishan
                        krishan

EP45-DS4
                        E8500
                        XFX 898MB 260GTX
                        Corsair HX620

Comment

If you do not select AHCI, you should select Enabled for the next one below "SATA Native Mode" Enabled. So yes, either way you would be setting something.

If you do not have a floppy you will have to buy/borrow one. You can download the driver directly from gigabyte but it will not do you any luck without a floppy anyway. In XP you MUSt use a Floppy to install the driver. USB will not work for XP. Floppy ONLY, or you can slipstream the driver (Which can be complicated)

Like I said, you may also Try installing it without the driver (Not if AHCI is chosen) and if XP Shows you a disk to format/install to then you are good to go. If not you will HAVE to get a floppy, they are only about $5-8 And can be a lifesaver if you have a BAD BIOS Flash. I would not ever run a system without one

Comment

[quote=Lsdmeasap;264985]If you do not select AHCI, you should select Enabled for the next one below "SATA Native Mode" Enabled. So yes, either way you would be setting something.

OK Thanks

I did it already from the CD, just that it never happened as the manual said, when I inserted a USB just to see and double clicked the menu.exe, it came with a error message but when I also added a floppy, it saved the fiels to floppy, the manual says that is another way but it goes to USB, it did'nt it still went to floppy. I will get a floppy drive. My win 98 boot disk works to get me to a a prompt and I can again bring up the list with "menu" but it fails to copy the files over to floppy, only method that works is the explore CD and doubl-click menu.exe

There is some arguement as to if AHCI is better than IDE I would select the one you think is best for a new builder, so lease tell me which one is better to select for less problems.

PS. On the website is also a another file "Intel ICH9R/ICH10R Driver (Preinstall driver, press F6 during Windows* " does this also need to be downloaded and done or is just having done the option 7 from the supplied CD will that already have both parts and therefore I do not need anything further

thanks
                            krishan
                            Last edited by krishcanag; 10-20-2008, 04:23 AM.
                            krishan

EP45-DS4
                            E8500
                            XFX 898MB 260GTX
                            Corsair HX620

Comment

The actual file you want is inside the bootdrv folder on the CD, you can copy it to your desktop and manually extract it. The file for Intel 32Bit drivers is located here >>>F:\BootDrv\MSM32.exe (MSM64.exe for 64bit). Copy to your desktop or a new emtpy folder and double click it, it will then extract the files. Or you can use winrar to extract to a folder (As shown below)

I do not like AHCI, and since you had to ask I would suggest you use normal SATA operation. IDE is just the name of normal SATA, it wont be as slow as IDE it's just called that if you were worried

That driver is the exact one you are trying to get off the CD, either the above method I just wrote to get you the driver or downloading it will be fine. They are both the same.

So you are not confused about it further, here is the exact files you should see from extracting the file off the CD, or downloading the correct one >>>

Comment

Working...
                              X