Standby Hell - Version Two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Standby Hell - Version Two

I think wake Source RTC may be your network trying to get a New IP or sync with Microsoft's clock. Did you go thru Device manager and check each USB and network items power tab and disable Wake on LAN for each?

Ohhh, sorry I see you have.

Try to disable this clock sync and see if it fixes it. Control Panel, Date and Time, Internet Time tab >>>

Hmm, that Active Sync has me thinking as well, maybe it scans for something to sync to every 2 hours? Can you either disable it's service from startup Automatic in Services, or uninstall it to test this out? It is where I would be checking next

What does this command tell you as far as what should be able to wake the system>>>
    Code:
    powercfg –devicequery wake_armed

Comment

The "powercfg –devicequery wake_armed" returns nothing...just back to the prompt.
      I'll try turning off internet time sync, but I've always had that on all my computers for years and never seen this problem.
      I have set up a static IP on the router, so not sure why one machine would try to renew its IP address. Never happened before.
      Maybe I should install the new Realtek drivers from Giga? I didn't do that for the latest set of driver updates that came out about a month ago.
      WRT ActiveSync, what's weird is that I have set those services to manual and stopped it from autostarting, but the damn thing (Sync Center) comes back on every time I come back from standby. I've never seen a program re-instantiate itself after coming back from standby. Usually, when you kill it, it stays killed until restarted, or when the computer does a full boot. This thing has a mind of its own... However, it is useful, so I don't want to get rid of it. But for testing purposes, I'm going to uninstall and see what happens.
      What do you think about the ACPI Fixed Feature thing?
      Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
      Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

Hmm, well that sounds like you have everything set to disabled then to be able to wake the system. But it may only check for hardware

Here try using this (Or windows defender, tools, software explorer) to disable Sync from startup >>>

Will be in control panel once installed, Startup

Not sure about that ACPI Fixed feature, what did you gather from it? I think I may have missed it or forgot in all my looking around

Comment

From what I have heard, my RTC and Fixed Feature info really doesn't narrow things down much, except to implicate some (piece of shyte) software that that has decided it wants to turn my machine on every two hours. (That engineer better hope I never find him...)
          I plan to just uninstall apps until I fix it.
          -MXC
          Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition

Comment

Getting anywhere? I know, if it was me, I would setup a dual boot to check and see how a clean install works. Then if it is fine, I would delete the old setup and run the new clean install. Install programs one by one making a restore point before each new install and test between each. It may take you some time to do that, but you will find your culprit. I can say, sometimes uninstalling a program will not remove it all or properly and fully remove all the things it has set.

Even with a proper Uninstall program some things may be left behind (I use Your Uninstaller 2008), works far better then just using built in installers, removes junk left behind in the registry and windows/program folders after the normal uninstaller is done running

Comment

Yes, I just got the solution from someone that I PM'd on the Green Button. What a lifesaver. This morning was the first time in 2 weeks that I checked the logs and saw the computer stayed in standby all night. I was not looking forward to reinstalling Vista and all my apps just for this...what a huge pain. Anyway, the fix is essentially disallowing Vista to autowake via the RTC/Timer. Let me test it out and confirm everything, then I'll post the concluding post here for any poor soul who runs into the same problem.

Comment

Nice to hear. Please post your test results along with the fix method once you are sure it works.

Comment

Ok, I have turned back on everything that was turned off in an attempt to circumvent this little problem. And I have tested again overnight with no uninvited wake-ups. Basically, what I did (on advice from a guy at The Green Button) was to disable the RTC wake ability in Vista. This, of course, will stop your machine from auto-waking for any reason - to record a show, defrag, whatever has been set to auto-wake. I personally have no use for auto-wake - when I put the machine to sleep, I want it to STAY THERE!
                  So, here are the steps:

1. Open a CMD prompt
                  2. powercfg -setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_sleep bd3b718a-0680-4d9d-8ab2-e1d2b4ac806d 0
                  3. powercfg -setdcvalueindex scheme_current sub_sleep bd3b718a-0680-4d9d-8ab2-e1d2b4ac806d 0
                  4. powercfg -setactive scheme_current

This changes and applies a new power scheme that stops the machine from being woken from sleep. In my case, I have a desktop system and probably didn't need to set the DC option, but I did both anyway. Thankfully, I was able to find the only person on the planet who appears to know how to do this...

The only remaining issue is that I still don't know what horrible piece of software thought it was a good idea to wake my machine every 2 hours...I would certainly like to know. But happy to have defeated it, even if it remains anonymous...
                  Last edited by mxcrowe; 10-20-2008, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks, So does that still allow you to wake when you want? I assume so, just thought I Better ask.

Hmm, well you could narrow it down and find the problem if you have time someday with the dual boot/clean install/test as you go method. But yeah, that would take sometime for sure

Comment

Yes, all other standby and wake features operate as normal.
                      No, I don't intend to spend days hunting down the culprit.

Comment

Ahh, Nice to hear. Thought maybe you would be stuck with no wake

Comment

mxcrowe and LSD, I have been using Standby (S3) state for a while now on my GA-EP45-DS3L system and have recently started to notice that the system is sometimes on and running when I come back to the system a few hours after leaving it in S3 state. (I haven't checked whether it comes on at regular intervals - just noticed that it was on and tonight the computer was on without any display showing on the monitor - just a black screen.)

Before I apply the CMD prompt fix noted by mxcrowe in his post above (steps 1 through 4), I was just wondering if once that fix is made, is it ever reversible? If so, how? (Just guessing that the same steps would be taken but the final digit would be a 1?)

And, could you explain what is the difference between the ac and dc settings in steps 2 and 3 - in other words, what are each of the settings actually doing?
                          Last edited by ed1; 11-11-2008, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Do you have cats/dogs?

Yes a 1 instead of a zero would set that back.

Did you run this command to see what exactly woke your system? >>>

Windows key + R, then CMD >>>
                            Code:
                            powercfg -lastwake
                            As for the rest, you will have to wait until he replies. But do keep in mind, as you see in this whole thread there are MANY things that can be set to wake the system without you knowing or thinking of them

Comment

Well, I happened to be sitting in front of my (S3) sleeping computer (GA-EP45-DS3L) minding my own business when suddenly the computer spontaneously woke up, and a tray bar balloon message quickly popped up stating that Media Center (Vista 32-bit) was connecting to the internet to update the channel guide.

I touched nothing. About 2 minutes later, the computer went back to sleep.

Is there any way to have Media Center set to update channel guide listings, but only if the computer is already running - so it doesn't wake up just to do that? And, of course, to continue to be able to wake it up manually at any time with the keyboard or mouse as I now do.

Comment

Hmm, I would just set that to not update in the Media center preferences, and then just update yourself once a week or so

Comment

Working...
                                X