Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on ep45-ds4p 8800GT 512 mb

Hi,

This is my first post and I am a complete noob to computer construction (and windows systems in general, I have always been a Mac person ).

Last night I got my first build up and running and everything seems to work flawlessly except the video card. It works fine until I try to install the drivers for the card and then I get nothing but a black screen after the loading windows screen. I downloaded and installed the newest drivers from BFG and still nothing. I have to shut it down and reboot in safe mode to uninstall the drivers to get any picture back on the monitor.

From reading on here it sounds like I probably need to update the BIOS on the mobo. I guess I was wondering whether you all think this is the right thing to do and if so what version of the BIOS should I upgrade to (is the newest always best?). I'm kinda nervous about doing this because I haven't really done anything like this before and I don't wanna wreck anything (I did read the flashing BIOS sticky so I guess I feel a little better). If there is anything else you think that could be causing this issue please let me know! Thanks in advance for your help!

Here are the specs, let me know if I am forgetting anything:

Mobo: ep45-ds4p
    cpu: Core2duo @ 3.16ghz
    memory: 8gb of OCZ Platinum OCZ2P10664GK
    Graphics: BFG oc 8800gt
    PSU: PC P&P 610W PSU

Re: Question on ep45-ds4p 8800GT 512 mb

Well, your BIOS is likely pretty up to date as these boards just came out not too awful long ago, but here is my write up on this which I see you have read (So just for future readers)>>>

And no newest does not always mean better.

Is your PC stable in windows before you install the drivers? Just wondering as you have 8GB and that often takes some users many days to get going. So sounds like you are already doing very well if so.

Please be sure in the Integrated Peripherals page of the BIOS you have Init First Display set to PEG (For first GFX slot). And disable for now Legacy USB Storage Detect in the Advanced BIOS page to rule this out, and remove any USB devices.

Please also double check your PCIE Power connections to be sure they are fully connected

What I would suggest is to be sure you have the latest Intel Chipset package installed >>>

(Choose Vista *64 ONLY, not Vista Ultimate, ultimate 64 ect. And you want the exe second link not the top zip file)
    Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters

Or
    |MG| Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility 9.0.0.1011

Then get your driver direct from nvidia and see if that helps any >>>
    Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

Here is the newest NON beta for your system/card >>
    GeForce Release 178

Also, be sure to read this to see if it applies to you at all >>>
    Answer

Comment

Thank you so much!

I'll look into the chipset drivers, being a Mac person all of this stuff is new to me. I have to say that actually trying to make adjustments is easier than reading about it makes it sound.

I did switch to PEG after the first time it failed but that didn't seem to help. however, I may have forgotten to do that when I tried the newest drivers...

I was worried about the ram myself after reading on here, I actually couldn't get it to work at first and it was in the endless reboot every 5 seconds cycle and I assumed that was the problem. (it was, but only because I am a NOOB and failed to push the sticks in all the way ). It is running perfectly stable since it started up and it detects all 8gb, I don't know whether it is running at the full 1066 though.

Comment

Ya, PEG should always be set to that since you are using slot one. If you do move to or test slot two use PEG2

Ya it does appear some have a rough time, even with 2GB or 4GB so you are doing great. I agree, it is not hard at all really.

As for your 1066 or not, likely not if everything is in Auto. You should see the ram speed listed under Memory Multipler but maybe not depending on your BIOS version. Your ram speed is configured like this incase you are unsure >>>

FSB x Memory Multiplier = Ram Freq

Good luck, I would think maybe if you did not install chipset drivers that will be all you need to get going

Keep us posted

Comment

Thanks, I'll give those a shot when I get home from work in ~5 hours

Comment

So i installed the intel software and then installed the drivers and still nothing...

Comment

I just talked to BFG tech support and they were nice but not very useful, they had me reinstall the driver again and then when that didn't work they suggested I return the card to the place of purchase...

A new wrinkle is that the last 2 times I have tried to reboot after installing the driver my computer has frozen on the shutting down screen (once after taking the card out and then reattaching everything, and once while talking to the tech people). I have no idea whether this is graphics related but its worrisome I guess. Still running perfectly fine other wise.

Comment

Ok, if there aren't any other suggestions I guess I'll be returning it tomorrow.

Thanks for your help, I'll update when I get the new card.

Comment

Well the only thing I would test before I returned the card would be a clean system install to rule out past driver install related issues.

But yeah, as they suggested the card may be messed up and a RMA may be the only fix

Comment

I have been reading more elsewhere and I think I am going to see whether my monitor needs newer drivers, I found a couple people having very similar problems with this card so I am just going to try and exhaust the possibilities before I pay to ship it back...

I mean this was basically a clean install to begin with, I have only had the thing running since Tuesday.

Comment

Well monitor Drivers could help, but they are often not needed to much other then to just provide information about the monitor to programs that display such info like everest. but good luck, it may help.

Ya, I kinda thought it may already be a clean install. I suppose RMA would be the only thing I would do myself. Best of luck in deciding what to do, and sorry I could not help you more

Comment

Thanks for all your help, I have a friend running vista and and 8800gt successfully and I am going to have him bring his monitor and dvi cable over just to make sure its not an issue there. I may also try my card out in his system if he is up for that.

I tried all the changing resolution, powering down the monitor, switching the cable around etc fixes and still nothing. It is just frustrating because the card's fan is going and it works as an adapter with the onboard graphics, at this point i am hoping it is broken, at least that will be easy to fix. I'll post back when I figure out what is wrong/get a new card.

Comment

I almost forgot, I checked the memory timing in BIOS and it is running at the full 1066 without any changes from me!

I have no idea how I just plugged it in and started it up and it works. I was going to ask you if i should adjust the voltage going to the memory since I am running 4x2gb even though it seems to be completely stable. I have not done anything particularly taxing but the only problems I have had have all been video card related.

Comment

Sounds like a good testing plan!

Ya, some Boards will pickup correct speeds, especially if you have XMP enabled. I would manually set your voltages for sure MCH and ram voltage

Comment

Well, I tried the card with more variations, it is now boxed up and ready to ship out tomorrow..

What would you recommend for voltage and such for 8gb (4x2gb of 1066?)? I guess I can't actually make any changes until the new card comes but I can make note of it at least.

And thanks again for trying to help me, I am still a little worried that there is something I am not doing and that the next card will do the same thing. I guess if that happens i'll break down to pay and take it somewhere and have someone trouble shoot it for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X