Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X48-DS5 + Corsair Dominator PC2-8500

Alright so, here is the thing.

This system is failing Memtest+ on test 7, and I cannot tell whether the ram is to blame, or the board.

I'm using a Corsair Dominator 2GBx2 PC2-8500 kit, it's running at it's rated speed, and it's rated timings.

When I test the the sticks individually in single channel mode, everything is golden.

But when I throw them together in dual channel mode, things get a little hairy. I've gotten the same results running this Q6600 stock. The thing that really bothers me if that I have noticed absolutely no instability so far. But everyone I turn to says even a single error is "game over".

But as I said, I have no way of telling whether the board is to blame, or the ram is to blame.

-SnuffleKitty
    Last edited by SnuffleKitty; 10-05-2008, 09:10 PM.

Re: X48-DS5 + Corsair Dominator PC2-8500

Pretty sure that your board's DDR voltage by default is 1.8v (I believe all boards are 1.8v). Check the voltage requirement of your memory. I'm guessing that it's at least 2.0v which means you would have to increase the voltage at least +.20v in the M.I.T. section of the BIOS. While you're there and since your running 2 x 2GB modules you might increase the MCH voltage +.20v.

If your memory is failing MemTest and all your timings are stock, then, not having the proper voltage settings is the most likely cause.

Give it a shot

Comment

This ram is rated at 1066 @ 2.1v.

I've had the voltage set at +0.30, which places it at roughly 2.135v, which is about as close as I can get without going under.

Something worth noting is this.

I've run 3 individual passes on both stick...individually.

Stick 1 passes all three passes.

Stick 2 passed pass 1 and pass 3, but failed on test 7 on pass 2.

So, am I to assume that the problem lies with Stick 2? What's with the inconsistencies between passes 1,3 and pass 2? Shouldn't the ram have errors all the time, or not at all?

-SnuffleKitty

Comment

DDR voltage looks OKAY.

You forgot about the MCH voltage. Even when running 1 stick of 2GB memory, MCH voltage should be increased +.1 volt. Wouldn't hurt to go up to +.2 volts in your case with 2 x 2GB. Also good idea to increase FSB voltage at least +.10, even +.20 since it looks like your overclocking your FSB anyways.

I know..... all these different test failure patterns can be confusing. If your memory is running unstable it can be unpredictable as well when being stress tested.

Last edited by DavidDavisLeeSomething; 10-05-2008, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Now this is something new.

The "faulty" stick just passed 5 passes without error...

I've increased the MCH and the FSB by 0.1v.

We'll see what Memtest thinks of that ;3.

-SnuffleKitty

Comment

5 Standard test passes in MemTest takes over ...uh ...jeesh...I forgot...damn...roughly...30~40 minutes per pass....times 5 passes = 200 minutes....yeah...3 hours... Duh.

Did you test it on Standard or did you run individual tests that take 5 to 10 minutes?

Did that "faulty stick" pass before you upped the MCH/FSB voltages?

Comment

I would advise MCH to +0.25-.3 for 2x2GB

Comment

I was just getting ready to tell Snuffle to raise the MCH voltage some more. Just couldn't keep my eyes open any longer.

Yeah...especially since she's got a 25% overclock on the FSB.

Comment

With both values increased by 0.1v, the two sticks in dual channel survived 7 passes (I let it run overnight), but went belly up on test 7 around the 8th pass.

I'll try uping the MCH a bit more.

-SnuffleKitty

Comment

1.25 MCH should be good, sounds strange but you may also want to test less then default as well

Comment

I've increased MCH by 0.25v, and I am now letting it run through Test 7.

I'll let you guys know how this turns out.

-SnuffleKitty

Comment

It's a lost cause. Basically, I cannot get this ram to pass test 7 at it's rated timings/speed. If I loosen the timings up to something retarded like 5-7-7-24, everything is golden. But I think I'd rather have ram that will run at it's rated timings, in the case of most PC2-8500, 5-5-5-15.

Could you fellows suggest a kit that you would use with this board?

I was looking at:

OCZ
                        Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

But really, there are so many 2GBx2 PC2-8500 kits out there...

-SnuffleKitty

Comment

Mushkin XP2 Ascents are what I have on mine DDR2 1066 PC2 8500 2.1v 5-5-5-15

They weigh a ton with those massive Aluminum heat sinks. Perfect for 2 x 2 setups. Really tight fit (if at all possible) 1 x 4. Probably the coolest running memory out there. My board LOVES them. I like them alot too.

Comment

I suggest Mushkin, G.Skill, And Geil. Since you do shop newegg I would suggest these as far as mushkins 8500's go. >>>

PC2 8500
                            Newegg.com - mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Or
                            Newegg.com - mushkin XP ASCENT w/ eVCI technology 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

PC2 8000/1000
                            Newegg.com - mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Or
                            Newegg.com - mushkin XP 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Here is a GREAT Set of 6400's, just incase, they will do 1000/1066 with looser timings just like the above >>>

PC2 6400
                            Newegg.com - mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

If you want G.Skills pick a model ending in K, they are the best. Models ending in Q are second best
                            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008, 01:58 AM.

Comment

How about Patriot?

-SnuffleKitty

Comment

Working...
                              X