EP45-DS3L + E7200=Freezing, I'm going insane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-DS3L + E7200=Freezing, I'm going insane

Ok I'm at the point where I feel like giving up and moving on from this mobo. My issue is that after 1-3 min of playing a game like Warhammer online the system just freezes and forces me to reboot. I have reset the bios to optimal settings and even then I cannot play a game more then a few min with it just freezing.

My ram consists of OCZ2VU8002G 2x2gb ram which is a vista upgrade kit. I'm runing this on xp not vista. At first thought that it was both chips making me crash so Ive tried running the system on just 1 and it still crashes. It's not the memory making me crash I have run memtest on both sticks. For now I just want to get stable with 1 stick (2gb) and move on eventually.

I have never had this much trouble geting system stable in my life. Pls help

Re: EP45-DS3L + E7200=Freezing, I'm going insane

There is a few things that 2x2 needs, please put back in your other stick and try this.

Here is some settings for you for stock with that CPU with 2x2GB (NOT For 2x1GB) >>>>

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Fast
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 9
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................: .5
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 2.53

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 266Mhz
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<<
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<<
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<<
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<<

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [266] << You may also use 333 if you like. When setting this setting, ONLY set this and reboot, then you may set the rest. Before you set this set Static tRead Value to 7 or 8 you can lower later

System Memory Multiplier ..............: 3.00 (For 266 chosen above) 3.20 (For 333 chosen above)

Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 800 or 850 depending on above choices
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................4/5
    tRCD .........................................4/5
    tRP'...........................................4/5
    tRAS..........................................12/15

^^ Set to what is on your ram's sticker ^^

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD...........................................3-4
    tWTR..........................................3-6 (Use 12 first, then lower later)
    tWR............................................4-6 (use 14 first, then lower later)
    tRFC...........................................52-62 (set to 62 first, lower later)
    tRTP...........................................3-6
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Driving Strength Profiles
    Driving Strength ............................ 800

Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................:7-10 (setting of 8 first will likely be fine)
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................:7-10 (setting of 8 first will likely be fine)
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type.………... Manual
    CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….........................:
    CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: <<< Leave
    CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: <<< Leave
    CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .61% Of Vtt (Termination above)
    CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above)

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 1.25 (1.2-1.3 is best for 2x2GB)
    MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
    ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< Leave
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< Leave

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.1 << Set to what you see on your ram sticker, can be lowered and tested later.

DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

Ok i tried what you said and it still freezes when I play games right away. I couldnt get my mch core high at all, the lowest I tried was 1.60 and it froze so I set it back to 1.10. My cpu vcore is set to 1.175 and my ram to 1.90. I dont know what else to do but im growing very frustrated with this nonsense. What makes it even worse is the fact that this is the stock clock on everything which is just sad. I cant even imagine trying to oc this mobo. Any more help would be greatly appreciated, thxs.

Comment

Well now it crashes outside of games also, just crashed web surfing :(

Comment

I have the same mobo and cpu and had some trouble getting it stable at first. Now it's totally solid. I actually had more luck once I OC'd it. What is the specified voltage for your RAM? It's possible you have some bad RAM there. Did you try both sticks one at a time?
          Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
          Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

Originally posted by mxcrowe View Post
            I have the same mobo and cpu and had some trouble getting it stable at first. Now it's totally solid. I actually had more luck once I OC'd it. What is the specified voltage for your RAM? It's possible you have some bad RAM there. Did you try both sticks one at a time?
            hmm ok well I was just able to play a game for 3 hours without a crash. I did a few things besides what LSD told me. I lowered my mch core volt to 1.05 and I updated my chipset drivers, I'm not sure which one did it.

Comment

Which version of XP are you using, Pro or Home??

Which Service Pack??

There was a Windows Security Update that caused many people problems about 6~8 months prior to the release of Service Pack 3 and that same update was included in Service Pack three causing even more problems. This Security Update caused a severe conflict with the NTFS Filing System. I can't remember the KBxxxxxx right off hand but I did discover my own little work-a-round to fix it. If your interested of hearing more about it let me know.

Your problem sound more like a "software" problem than a hardware problem.

I'm a firm believer in making clones or images of my OS. That in case things start running funny, I just erase my main drive, reformat it and restore the original image, just like new. I do it on a regular basis.
              I don't understand why more people DON'T do it. Not that difficult to learn. I've been using Norton Ghost since the mid 90's and it's great.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidDavisLeeSomething View Post
                Which version of XP are you using, Pro or Home??

Which Service Pack??

There was a Windows Security Update that caused many people problems about 6~8 months prior to the release of Service Pack 3 and that same update was included in Service Pack three causing even more problems. This Security Update caused a severe conflict with the NTFS Filing System. I can't remember the KBxxxxxx right off hand but I did discover my own little work-a-round to fix it. If your interested of hearing more about it let me know.

Your problem sound more like a "software" problem than a hardware problem.

I'm a firm believer in making clones or images of my OS. That in case things start running funny, I just erase my main drive, reformat it and restore the original image, just like new. I do it on a regular basis.
                I don't understand why more people DON'T do it. Not that difficult to learn. I've been using Norton Ghost since the mid 90's and it's great.
                interesting, windows xp media center sp3

Comment

I just remembered what that troublesome Windows Security update was: KB935839.

It caused a wide range of different problems, some minor, some major.

Questions: Did you build your own system? Had it custom made? Or off the shelf?

If you built your own and want to do the work with reinstalling everythying, I'd be happy to help you out, but not through this forum.

Custom build...good potential. Depends on if and how they installed the OS

Off the shelf....forget it. Might as well send it to the scrap heap.

Comment

Hi, I recently had a similar issue with the EP45-DS3L (F9 bios), E8500, and 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2-1000. Memtest would constantly lock up within 5 minutes. Lowering the MCH core voltage to 1.05V fixed it for me as well.

Comment

Very odd! MCH Core should be added for 2x2, nice to see it helped you guys though to lower it

markourn, 1.6V MCH is WAY TO MUCH. I advise 1.25 or so for 2x2 to be stable

Comment

I just wanted to add one more voice for the solution of changing the MCH to 1.05, New EP45-D3SL mobo and Core 2 Duo 3g - I was also having intermittent crashes while booting up or freezing after boot. Changing the MCH to 1.05 fixed that completely.

Thanks!!

Comment

4GB of ram for you as well?

Comment

Yes - 4G - 2x2 - 1066mhz
                            They are installed as Single channel, Dual channel was even less stable before I tried the MCH setting. I might try switching that now that I am stable. Thoughts?

Comment

Ahh! Thanks for posting your findings.

My thoughts...... Hmmm, Well I would for sure be using Dual channel. What strap was you trying to use with what FSB? P45 MCH voltage is very tricky, some straps/multi's need more voltage and other less and it can be very out of the ordinary like less when you think more should be needed and visa versa

Comment

Working...
                              X