Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz on ga-ex38-ds4 - help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz on ga-ex38-ds4 - help please!

I've been trying to get this stable for a while. It is a simple goal, as I don't want to go way high, I just want a nice OC that will remain stable for a long time to come.

Here is my system...

Intel C2Q Q9450 (OC'd to 3.2ghz)
    4GB Patriot PVS24G6400LLK 800Mhz 4-4-4-12
    Seagate 500GB SATA2 HDD
    2x Powercolor HD3870X2 GDDR4 <--these are not OC'd at all
    Asus VW222U 22" WS LCD Screen
    Windows Vista HP SP1 64-bit
    TRU120E heatsink w/2x Scythe S-Flex SFF21F

...and here is what my BIOS (current non-beta version F5) currently looks like...

HDD Smart Capability = disabled
    Limit CPUID Max to 3 = disabled
    No-Execute Memory protect = disabled
    C1E = disabled
    TM2 = enabled
    EIST = disabled
    Virtualization Tech = disabled
    Init Display First = PEG

CPU Warning Temp = 70oC
    CPU FAN Warning = enabled
    SYSTEM FAN 1 Warning = enabled
    Smart FAN Control Method = disabled

R.G.B = auto
    CPU Clock Ratio = 8x
    CPU Host Clock Control = enabled
    CPU Host Frequency = 400 mhz
    PCI-E Frequency = 100 mhz
    CIA2 = disabled
    Performance Enhance = standard
    System Memory Multiplier = 2.00D <--makes cpu/ram 1:1 for me

CAS Latency Timer = 4
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay = 4
    DRAM RAS# precharge = 4
    Precharge Delay = 12

ACT to ACT delay = 3
    Rank write to read delay = 3
    Write to precharge delay = 6
    refresh to act delay = 62 <--altered from 42 as per mem-timing guide on this site
    read to precharge delay = 3
    static tread value = 8
    static tread phase adjust = 1 <--default seems to be 0 but I cannot set 0
    command rate = 2T

System Voltage Control = manual
    DDR2 OV Control = +0.40v <--brings my RAM to a little over 2.2v
    PCI-E OV Control = normal
    FSB OV Control = normal <--board has max 1600/400 fsb, my OC is 400 FSB, does these need a boost?
    (G)MCH OV Control = +0.100v
    CPU Voltage Control = 1.26875v
    Normal CPU Vcore = 1.25000v <--this is also my CPU's VID

All I want is to get the CPU to 3.2ghz and remain stable for good. Honestly, I have no desire to go higher than that. I'd like some help in achieving this.

Lsdmeasap, you seem to be the expert here. Any advice?

Re: Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz on ga-ex38-ds4 - help please!

Is that 4x1 or 2x2 ram? Gotta link as well so I can see warrantied voltages? Looks like those should be stable, what Fails for you Memtest86+ or orthos/prime?

R.G.B = auto
    CPU Clock Ratio = 8x
    CPU Host Clock Control = enabled
    CPU Host Frequency = 400 mhz
    PCI-E Frequency = 100 mhz
    CIA2 = disabled
    Performance Enhance = standard
    System Memory Multiplier = 2.00D <--makes cpu/ram 1:1 for me

CAS Latency Timer = 4
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay = 4
    DRAM RAS# precharge = 4
    Precharge Delay = 12

ACT to ACT delay = 3
    Rank write to read delay = 3
    Write to precharge delay = 4-6
    refresh to act delay = 62 <--altered from 42 as per mem-timing guide on this site. <<< Yeah 4GB needs more then 42. Depending on your ram you may be able to use 48-50, if not try 52-56 and see what you get

read to precharge delay = 3-6
    static tread value = 6 (7-8) 6 may work so test it out.

static tread phase adjust = 1 <--default seems to be 0 but I cannot set 0 << Set To Auto or Zero Always. You sure you cannot set zero? Does your BIOS have a slider or enter the number? If you still do have a issue with this, you can try loading optimized defaults (Or flash a New BIOS/older) and save and apply/reboot back to the BIOS. Be sure if you do, and you use RAID that you reboot BACK TO THE BIOS and not windows to set your disk settings. Otherwise you will corrupt your RAID array. If that does not help or you dont wanna try that and still have a issue let me know and I will explain this setting more to you and how you can use it for now until a better BIOS comes out for you.

command rate = 2T

System Voltage Control = manual
    DDR2 OV Control = +0.40v <--brings my RAM to a little over 2.2v <<< 2.1 would likely work, and run cooler thus more stable. I always recommend to those who have to run 2.2 on the ram that you HAVE to put a fan directly over them. Anything over 2.1 on DDR2 should have a fan on it

PCI-E OV Control = normal
    FSB OV Control = normal <--board has max 1600/400 fsb, my OC is 400 FSB, does these need a boost? What are your choices here? Possibly, same may apply above.

(G)MCH OV Control = +0.100v << 2x2 or 4x1 needs at least +0.2 to be stable, some may need .25 -.3

CPU Voltage Control = 1.26875v
    Normal CPU Vcore = 1.25000v <--this is also my CPU's VID << You may need a bit more, Keep in mind what you set will be less once in windows.

Comment

1) The memory is 2x2GB. This is how it was packaged. The two chips are also in dual channel mode.
      2) MemTest, Prime95 and the like never failed for me. The bluescreens almost always happened when idling or surfing. When Assassin's Creed was installed, it always failed and produced redscreens and some blur-tear screen effect.
      3) Yes I am 100% sure I cannot set "0". It goes Auto, then 1-whatever. The BIOS has a slider thing but 0 is not among the choices. If 0 is impossible, which it seems to be, is Auto the next best choice?
      4) I do not use RAID. I only have one HDD.
      5) To quote the manual..."FSB OV Control: +0.05v to +0.35v by 0.05v increment".

I'll make my adjustments and get back to you soon.

The Patriot Viper memory has those Viper fins over and on the chips. Helps dissipate heat apparently.

I never put anything onto the FSB voltage because the board is rated to run a max of 1600 (400) mhz FSB, which is what I want in my overclock. Still, you could be right about it needing a boost anyway. The possible options are above in point 6 in bold.

UPDATE: Here is the link you requested. Takes you right to my RAM's product page...http://www.patriotmem.com/products/d...&id=680&type=1

UPDATE#2: For some reason setting "static tRead Value" to 6 could not boot into BIOS/POST. Setting it to 7 however, let it boot into POST, Vista loading bar, and finally into the desktop. Weird?

DDR2 Voltage according to Everest now sits at about 2.16v - is this better?

NB voltage is at +0.20v and CPU Voltage is set to 1.28125v, which CPU-Z reports as between 1.248v and 1.264v - any good?

Lastly I checked "static tread phase adjust" and set it to Auto. I now confirm that an option for forcing it to 0 does not exist.
      Last edited by Nova Phoenix; 10-05-2008, 07:26 AM. Reason: BIOS settings update!

Comment

Ahh, well then please set the slider to Auto. That will use Zero, no matter what you see on the left. Just so you know, what you do see on the left is not what Auto uses always, just what it may be using right then, or has used in the past.

I would set FSB to +0.1 for stability. 1600 FSB is a sales pitch, and by FAR not the boards limit. I use 1800-2000 FSB right now, and had on older 956/p35 boards as well. And your board will do the same, far more then it spec'd amount

Ya, tRD of 6 is not likely to work with the "D" strap for your board, it may or may not at The "2.00C" strap though. Same applies with 7, if you want to keep using the 2.00D strap the best setting would be 8

Ya, 2.1ish is better especially at only 800mhz. You can likely use less as well. rated voltages are more for warranty and board compatibility then anything else. The ram may and can use far less depending on speeds/timings and the board so if you want you can test lower as well. Lowest stable voltage is best for the ram

Only your CPU can tell you if you need more volts, but since you are overclocking you may

Again, as for trd (Static tRead Value, Performance level in memset) Auto will use Zero, so please always set it to that

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          Ahh, well then please set the slider to Auto. That will use Zero, no matter what you see on the left. Just so you know, what you do see on the left is not what Auto uses always, just what it may be using right then, or has used in the past.

I would set FSB to +0.1 for stability. 1600 FSB is a sales pitch, and by FAR not the boards limit. I use 1800-2000 FSB right now, and had on older 956/p35 boards as well. And your board will do the same, far more then it spec'd amount

Ya, tRD of 6 is not likely to work with the "D" strap for your board, it may or may not at The "2.00C" strap though. Same applies with 7, if you want to keep using the 2.00D strap the best setting would be 8

Ya, 2.1ish is better especially at only 800mhz. You can likely use less as well. rated voltages are more for warranty and board compatibility then anything else. The ram may and can use far less depending on speeds/timings and the board so if you want you can test lower as well. Lowest stable voltage is best for the ram

Only your CPU can tell you if you need more volts, but since you are overclocking you may

Again, as for trd (Static tRead Value, Performance level in memset) Auto will use Zero, so please always set it to that
          tRD of 8 for longevity. Gotcha! It is just that 7 seems to be the lowest it goes for me on the 2.00D strap, but over the past I've noticed 8 more than 7.

I'll set the FSB OV a bit later. Please don't misunderstand, I do know that it can do over 1600fsb to a certain extent. :)

Thanks for your continued help btw mate. You've been somewhat quicker to respond than some other forums, and with more detailed answers and possible solutions.

UPDATE: tRD set to 8 - seems it likes this one. FSB OV adjusted to +0.10v as well.
          Last edited by Nova Phoenix; 10-05-2008, 07:06 PM. Reason: Update!

Comment

Keep at it! You will get it tweaked to your liking. Seems you are moving right along

Thanks for the kind words! I do try to help as much as I can.

Comment

Hey, you deserve kind words. You've helped me faster and more efficiently than other forums. Far Cry and GRAW2 have been played on and off today. They are maxed out and haven't caused one problem, especially GRAW2 which my Dad has taken a liking to.

By the way, when I went to set what I hope is my final BIOS adjustments, I noticed that "tRD" was auto-set to "8". That's why I said it seemed to like the number.

Hey I know this is off-topic, but do you have any experience with the PC version of Assassin's Creed? I had it on the system recently and it was practically the cause of all the BSODs, RSODs, and blur-tear screen effects that the system suffered. Since uninstalling it, they have all disappeared (save for one BSOD prior to finding this forum). Patch or no patch, dx9 or dx10, nothing seemed to work for very long for the game.

Current system stats at time of typing...
              CPU-Z/Vcore: 1.264v ~ 1.280v
              Everest/DIMM voltage: 2.16v
              RealTemp/CPU Cores: 32-32-49-38 (yes, it isn't perfect, but this with AS5 thermal paste, a thermalright ultra-120 extreme and two scythe s-flex sff21f fans, not to mention)

Comment

Glad I could be of help!

Did you test trd of 7 at all? It may work depending on your Ram speed and strap if chosen.

No, sorry I do not game at all. Have you tried reinstalling it? Maybe the previous install got messed up somehow?

Temps and voltages look good, I take it you have a stuck/faulty sensor on that one core of 49 right? Seems to be alot of 45nm CPU's with the issue.

U like TX-2 paste myself, seems to be cooler and far easier to clean up!

Comment

I used Arctic Silver 5. From my research, I concluded that it was very good and highly recommended.
                  Yes, that one sensor is stuck. The tech shop guy who installed all the cooling stuff told m that that seems normal for 45nm CPUs, or something.
                  I haven't fully tested tRD @ 7, but I will in the near future if the system remains stable, which it looks like it will.
                  I will try reinstalling AC later too. I can always remove it permanently if it does cause trouble I spose.

EDIT: Mate, I also have these two options. Ctrl+F1 reveals them. "CPU GTLREF1" and "CPU GTLREF2". Currently they are set at "Normal". With what you've given me so far, do those two need to be adjusted as well?
                  Last edited by Nova Phoenix; 10-06-2008, 08:08 AM. Reason: CPU GTLREF query

Comment

Here is why I use it, Also MX-2 is better as well. Just one of many similar tests >>>
                    Tuniq - TX2 Thermal Paste Review

Ya, it is normal. TONS of them are broke, and Intel says they are not responsible for fixing them or replacing them as they do work in the upper end and that is all they have to worry about working. Silly response I think

Here is how those should be set They are the Reference Voltages you see below >>>

CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: <<< 1.32-1.4 << You may need even less at 3.2

CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: <<< 1.5-1.6
                    CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above)
                    CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above)

Comment

Thanks, but unfortunately, I do not have those four options that you listed in the BIOS.

Comment

You do not see Termination or Vtt? But you do see GTL_REF?

Well if so, the GTL_REF is Reference voltages, so they should be set according to the vtt or termination voltage. IF you cannot set Termination voltages yourself then you are best off to leave the reference voltages on AUTO

They only need adjusting after 450-500 FSB anyway, Auto will work fine and automatically sets them accordingly to what I suggested which is 64%, and 67%
                        CPU Reference = CPU GTLREF1 and should be .64% Of Vtt / Termination
                        CPU Reference2 = CPU GTLREF2 and should be .67% Of Vtt / Termination

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                          You do not see Termination or Vtt? But you do see GTL_REF?

Well if so, the GTL_REF is Reference voltages, so they should be set according to the vtt or termination voltage. IF you cannot set Termination voltages yourself then you are best off to leave the reference voltages on AUTO

They only need adjusting after 450-500 FSB anyway, Auto will work fine and automatically sets them accordingly to what I suggested which is 64%, and 67%
                          CPU Reference = CPU GTLREF1 and should be .64% Of Vtt / Termination
                          CPU Reference2 = CPU GTLREF2 and should be .67% Of Vtt / Termination
                          I see neither of those two. This isn't exactly the most detailed board, BIOS-settings wise.
                          Well since I don't want to go over what I'm already at, I'll leave the CPU GTLREF settings at Normal (there is no Auto, I've checked).

Comment

You are the one you told me you had those options, and you just said you would leave them on Auto.

Originally posted by Nova Phoenix View Post
                            EDIT: Mate, I also have these two options. Ctrl+F1 reveals them. "CPU GTLREF1" and "CPU GTLREF2". Currently they are set at "Normal". With what you've given me so far, do those two need to be adjusted as well?
                            Sorry if you misunderstood what I tried to clear up above, maybe I said it unclear

CPU GTLREF IS CPU Reference Voltage just named differently, there is two of them.

So you do have it, I was just showing you what the name can be stated as, and how they should be set if you take them out of auto/normal

And you can leave them on Normal and they will use the above % values anyway.

Sorry to have confused you

Comment

No need to apologize. I at least had some idea of what CPU GTLREF 1 & 2 do.

It is still kind of early days, but I think your advice on what to do has worked. I'll still test with Assassin's Creed of course (unpatched then patched). IF anything happens I will uninstall the game for good and get the reliable PS3 version.

Comment

Working...
                              X