Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why turn off "CPU Eist Function" when overclocking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why turn off "CPU Eist Function" when overclocking?

For the first time, my DS3R board actually knows how to use this, and use this correctly. I am oc'ed from 2.4 to 3.0, and this function allows me to run at low clock setting when doing nothing in windows. If I open up apps or run games, it knows to push up to 3.0 and has no issues with stability.

I read a lot of OC's on here dont use this feature, and curious as to why? Can they not oc stable with it enabled?
    I7 - 2600K
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H (bios F20e mod)
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)
    Sapphire 7970
    ASUS XONAR DX
    Windows 8.1 64 bit

Re: Why turn off "CPU Eist Function" when overclocking?

For me with it turned on it get lock ups when opening games.The difference i have is a much higher OC i use Q9450 2.66 stock OC to 3.60.If the overclock is small i dont think leaving it on is a isssue but when you get in to bigger changes you need more voltage bigger jump from desktop = problems.
    sigpic
    CoolerMaster 932haf
    ASUS P6T DELUVE V2
    Inte I7 920-4.0/4.2
    CoolIt DOMINO A.L.C
    CoolIt DualBay Gpu Cooler
    ASUS 4870-815/1050(crossfire)
    OCZ Platinum6GB DDR3-1600
    WesternDigtal VelociRaptor 300gb
    Corsair THX 750watt
    Vista Premium64sp2
    3DMARK06:28,515
    3DMARK VANTAGE 20,006

Comment

It may be usable at small overclock, but otherwise it just messes with your Voltage to much to keep stable. That is why Overclockers disable it

Comment

Thanks. I have yet to see any instability leaving it enabled on my system.
        I7 - 2600K
        Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H (bios F20e mod)
        G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)
        Sapphire 7970
        ASUS XONAR DX
        Windows 8.1 64 bit

Comment

I also have no problem with it, and I'm happy to see my cpu idle when I'm not pushing it. In idle mode it runs at 2.4G, but jumps to 3.4G when needed.
          Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
          Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

the problem in my case was not the EIST, but the C1E where it lowers the voltage at idle
            it caused instability for me
            check out my previous post for a way to run EIST without C1E activating

Comment

Also, for anyone who wants to use these features here is a program that allows you to control the Mutli and Voltage with speedstep (Also Partially available in vista Control Panel/Power options)

Crystal Dew World - Software - CrystalCPUID

Comment

Working...
              X