X48-DQ6 vs. -DS5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X48-DQ6 vs. -DS5

I'm probably missing something obvious here, but - what's the difference between these two boards (besides about $50 and the apparent lack of the 'craxy-cool' sink on the back)??

Re: X48-DQ6 vs. -DS5

Other than an extra 1394 jack not much. But then I wondered the same thing re the DS4 & DS5. Other than an extra SATA jack not much difference. However Newegg recently dropped the DS5's price to make it more close to the DS4's price. Maybe they will do the same for the DQ6 ?

Just noticed the DS5 does away with PS2 jacks which could make a difference to some (like me).
    Last edited by radiored; 10-04-2008, 11:50 AM. Reason: addendum

Comment

Yeah, I'm the same way - too old & set in my ways to 'believe in' USB console devices; besides, have a cache of unopened DataLux MicroType PS2 (w/big plug yet) kbds that I've been addicted to since around late eighties; full kbd in 10 1/2" x 6" of desk space; nice feel, nearly indestructible; AND, want to use a KVM I have laying aroung to switch with an Ubuntu box, keeping my development system off the 'net except for the MS OS 'upgrade of the day'...

I do automation systems development. One screen for the controller logic dev s'ware, one for the operator interface dev s'ware, one for AutoCad with electrical (and sometimes process piping) diagrams, another to edit the manuals as I go) - & need to swap data between 'em all continuously: have thought about getting a Logi G15 w/the little LCD screen thingie, and writing some patch s'ware to let me scroll through a selection of these shared data points, BUT:
      A - I'd have to believe in USB ports;
      B - I'd have to learn the Logi DevSys;
      C - I'd need a new KVM;
      D - I'd have to analyze each app's databasing scheme Much more thoroughly than I have so far, just to use Excel to 'swap' data; AND
      E - I'd have to live so long!
      Unfortunately, E seems to be the limiting factor - I've always seemed to have "thunk up" WAY more c%&p than I'll EVER have time to actually do...

Anyway, back on topic:
      I want the extra Jmicron SATA controller, 'cause I want to run three RAID pairs; two pairs of Velociraptors in RAID0 for OS's & swaps, and a pair of 1TB Caviar 'blacks' in RAID1 for data. My understanding was always that the DS4's two PCIe's 'kicked down' to 8x if you used them both - but I believe the most recent board rev got rid of this limitation...

Comment

Hmph!

Looked at both the DS5 manual and the picture at NewEgg, and the DS5 seems to HAVE bith ps2 ports...

Comment

Yeah it (ds5 pic) sure does. Did a "compare" & it said did not. Pics can be quite deceiving with different revisions & whatnot but if the manual says it does then it's probably correct.

I got'a have PS2. Like you just to much "old" equipment laying around. The DS4 even has a connection for an on-board serial port if needed. I'm into shortwave radio so that's nice. A lot of new m/b's are coming out without either PS2 or serial ports so it's nice Gigabyte still supports both.

Comment

Same problem: all this industrial stuff has paleolithic roots, and demands the legacy ports (no 'simply plug in a USB cable adaptor) at the legacy addresses and IRQ's or - no talky!

Similar to Dogbert's tech support:

"According to my online database, our product isn't compatible with your computer."

"It's also incompatible with all other computers and all other software, including our own."

"And those red blotches on your hands - that's because our box is made of poison ivy..."

Comment

Working...
            X