• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Games freeze w/ EP45-DS3R and nVidia 9800 gtx+

Re: Games freeze w/ EP45-DS3R and nVidia 9800 gtx+

are you running xp or vista??

Comment

You may just need more ram for those games? I don't game so I could not say for sure.

What I would do though for sure is manually set the specified voltage for your ram, you may not need 2.1 but then again Auto may not give you enough

Have you ran memtest86+ on your ram? If not please do, and you will need the latest version 2.01 for your board >>>
      Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Hey, You do have the latest chipset drivers installed right? Just have to ask because some users do not install them

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Have not run memtest yet. Don't have any experience with overclocking/manual adjustments and can't afford to screw anything up. But, will run memtest. I have installed the latest chipset drivers. Thanks.

Comment

Let us know how you get along for sure

Comment

Ran memtest. Everything fine. Still have games locking up or going into sound loops and freezing. Have tried numerous drivers from 175 up to 178.13. Can run FEAR, COD 2, and BOA (1 and 2), but cannot run World in Conflict, Comp. of Heroes, Medieval TW 2, or Civ IV: Colonization. Running out of patience. Any further suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by smacmanus3 View Post
              Ran memtest. Everything fine. Still have games locking up or going into sound loops and freezing. Have tried numerous drivers from 175 up to 178.13. Can run FEAR, COD 2, and BOA (1 and 2), but cannot run World in Conflict, Comp. of Heroes, Medieval TW 2, or Civ IV: Colonization. Running out of patience. Any further suggestions?
              join the club

Comment

Ya, since you ram test out fine I think this is a Driver only issue. Have you made some threads on the nvidia forums? Have you added ICH Voltages?

Comment

Everything seemed to be going well, except for MTW II, but then today we started crashing again. Ouch. Must be a driver issue. I am going to take a look at RAM voltages, but am not real confident tinkering with that. Anywhere I can find an easy-to-understand guide for that? Also, just ordered 2 more GB of RAM (even though XP will only recognize up to ~3gb). Maybe that will help.

Comment

So it is just that one game then? If so it is likely just a driver issue, that is often why GFX drivers get updates so frequently to fix issues with certain games. So you may just have to one let nvidia kow of the issues with this game, and two wait for their fix for it to be added to a future driver.

Ram voltage is simple, you set it to what you see on the stick which is the warrantied voltage. Then you simply lower it and test until it fails, then raise it back up a bit. So you would set 2.1V, then maybe try 2.0 to see if it is ok. 1.9 may work, but may not

Memory guide I wrote up is here, incase you had not noticed it, mostly timing info >>>

Not much said about voltages except with 4GB of ram, but the overclock guide has some notes about memory voltage >>

Comment

you should have plenty of RAM for just about any modern games (even the Crysis, bloated as it is, uses only about 1.3GB). I believe this is a driver level error. Have you got any driver OCing enabled? and what version of the FW drivers are you using??

Make sure you've got the latest ForceWare drivers for XP

GeForce ForceWare 178.15 XP 32-bit download from Guru3D.com

Comment

Thanks Lsdmeasap...Have tried just about every suggestion I could find for solving this problem. It has started occuring again with several games. Checked the video card clock performance with Rivatuner and everything was stable. Have done numerous other attempted fixes, too many to mention, with nothing working. Very frustrated. The only other suggestion I have not tried yet is to reduce the shader clock settings more toward a standard 9800gtx rather than my gtx+. Also, ordered two more gb of ram, just to beef up the system a little. Thanks for all the help. The nVidia forums sucked...no one trying to help. Since some games still work fine, I suspect a driver problem still. Oh well, must be patient for newer drivers. Hope that works. Thanks all for the assistance.

Comment

Ya, it is probably just drivers, especially since some games are fine

Comment

I think I have it beat. I saw that I was still getting Nvr0flashdev errors, even though I had uninstalled that device. So, I checked the Registry, and, sure enough, the Nvr0flashdev still had two references. After deleting those, everything appears to be working fine, including Medieval Total War 2, which had not worked at all up until that point. So, for anyone else out there with a similar problem, check your Registry thoroughly. Thanks for all the help everyone. I am gaming with joy...

Comment

Nice to hear you have fixed your problem! Good find as well!

Comment

Working...
                              X