Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-DS4P PCI Issue

Hi All,

Just purchased above MB along with Sapphire 4870, 1GB, E8500 cpu, 2 GB OCZ Flex XLC PC9600, Toughpower 650W Modular PSU. No overclocking yet.

Started to do a clean install (XP) on new WD Cavier HDD. Everthing starts just fine. It loads everything and then just before it goes into the install mode, it stops with the following error.....STOP 0X0000007E (0X0000005, 0XF78AOBF, 0XF7CB6208, 0XF7CB5F08)

Then.... pci.sys - address F786A0BF Base at F7863000
    Date stamp 3b7d855c

I have changed the BIOS setting from PCI to PEG,PEG2, tried both X16 and X8 PCI-E slots, installed another video card (MSI HD2900XT). Ensured both PCI-E connectors where attached to the video cards. Even tried a brand new HDD.... ..I have no hardware in the PCI slot, it is empty.

Before I apply for an RMA, I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and if a fix is available. I have tried the MS knowledge base, google, Yahoo search. They all state to install new vid drivers, but I can't as the OS is not installed. Any and all help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

klondack

Re: GA-EP45-DS4P PCI Issue

Is this a XP CD with SP 2 on it? If so then you may just have your BIOS disk settings wrong or you need to properly Set the disk up for first use on another PC (Or yours with DOS) and the manufacturers tool

Please also check for and remove any jumper you see on the back of the drive.

What settings do yo have set for SATA in your BIOS, and did you load the SATA Driver Via F6 method when install started? IF you did not do the, then there is your issue

Please test the disk in another PC if you can as well, to be sure it is not DOA, happens often.

Here is the disk tool for your drive, you want to select your drive, then download Data Lifeguard Tools 11.2 for DOS or windows depending how you want to do it. Some disks HAVE to be set up for first use with these tools to be set active >>>
    WD Support > Downloads > SATA Hard Drives

So you either need to do the above Setup for first disk use, or you have a DOA disk, or you need a XP Sp2 CD, or to load the drive right at pre-install via F6, or you have some BIOS settings wrong.

Any of which it could be, I doubt very much it has anything to do with your GFX card. PEG is what you want set for the first slot by the way.

Let me know if any of that helped you, and what BIOS settings per SATA you have set and I will get back to you tomorrow when I get in

Comment

LSD,

Thanks for the info. I was using the XP install disk (not slipstreamed). No jumpers on HDD. I tried F6 originally with the Cavier software to no avail.
      I enabled AHCI under Integrated Peripherals. It recognized the SATA drive. Good so far. Rebooted and wammo....fans spin up for 2 sec. shuts down for 4 sec, starts up for 2 sec, shuts down for 4 sec, and just keeps doing that. I reset the BIOS by depressing the clear CMOs switch, shorted the jumper (power cord unplugged) and removed the battery for 10 min. I also removed all CD/DVD connections, floppy drive connections. Only things installed are RAM, HDD, VC, KB and mouse. Any ideas?

Thanks Again,

klondack

Comment

So you are now stuck? If so remove the board from the tray and set it on a wodden table or cardboard box and try with the minimum parts

That would be CPU/Heatsink, One stick of ram in slot one, and your graphics card. That is it, NO hard drives, KB or mouse or anything else for that matter.

If it starts and you can get to the BIOS, try adding things one at a time until you find the culprit. And please find and use a PS/2 Mouse once you start plugging things back in

Did you hold down the button for a bit while the (PSU Unplugged) battery was out? Just wondering.

I Bricked my board the other night and found the switch to be quirky. I had used it before with everything plugged in and it cleared the CMOS in about 30 seconds or so. But when I was having issues it would not work, nor would jumper on it for a half hour. Finally after removing the battery and using the clear cmos button, I got partially somewhere. I still had to short the board though... So if you want to know how to do that if you need to before you decide to RMA let me Know and I will PM you the info

Do you have a floppy installed, and set as first boot device?

Comment

Removed MB from case. Removed battery overnight. Removed everything except CPU and fan. Set MB on box and connected the 24 pin and 8 pin connectors. Power to MB OK. Stiil doing the 2 sec, 4 sec start stop. Added 1 stick RAM, tried to restart, same start and stop. Added VC, same thing. At this point, I decided to RMA. This is taking way too long to try and fix.

Thanks for your help, LSD. I really appreciate all your suggestions. Hopefully the new board will be easier.

klondack

Comment

Good luck on a quick RMA then! Sorry you had to Send it back, sometimes you just have to though, I feel ya

Now, on your new board, if you do have a floppy install it and keep in installed and set as first boot device. This way you can blind flash if this happens to you again

Comment

Definitely will do that. Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

Anytime!

Post back if you have any issues with the new setup, or just to let us know how you are getting along

Comment

Re: GA-EP45-DS4P PCI Issue....Follow-up

Just a quick follow-up LSD,

Received the new board....same thing at XP install, pci.sys error. Tested board on box with 1 stick of RAM. Eventually replaced everything and STILL had the same problem. Researched a lot of different forums and found a common thread between some DFI boards and my problem. Some boards will not load XP without SP2 slipstreamed into it. I though "what have I got to lose?" Slipstreamed SP2 onto my install disk and VIOLA!!!
                  It worked!!! Praise the PC gods and their infinite wisdom.
                  Everything is stock and ran Memtest...no problems, no issues.
                  Now I just have to find your settings that match my board and RAM and tweak away!!

As a side note, I was building another PC at the same time using an ASUS board. The non-slipstreamed XP installed just fine with no problems what-so-ever.

Thanks again LSD...u the man!!!

Comment

Nice to hear you are up and running!

Ya, that is why I asked if it was a SP2 disk in my first reply. I do not know why some boards have to have it and others not, but SP0 and SP1 are getting a bit dated with SP3 out now everyone should have at least a SP2 or later install disk

Anyhow, glad you got it all up and running now. Thanks for posting back

Comment

Working...
                    X