GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-DS3R New Build HD/RAID Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-DS3R New Build HD/RAID Issue

Hi Everyone,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Some great information on this forum.<o:p></o:p>
    I just recently purchased an EP45C-DS3R and am running the following:<o:p></o:p>
    E8500<o:p></o:p>
    Corsair Dominator 1066 - 2x2GB<o:p></o:p>
    Single - Velociraptor 300<o:p></o:p>
    ATI 4850<o:p></o:p>
    BIOS - F10<o:p></o:p>
    I have been trying to install Vista x64 on this system for about a week with the same result after reviewing as many posts as possible in this forum.<o:p></o:p>
    My problem is that per the manual, I have a single drive and set the BIOS to RAID, I see the drive in the listing is controlled by the RAID but NEVER see the CTRL+I to setup the drive in the Intel manager.<o:p></o:p>
    It goes by so quick, then lists the PCI devices (is there a way to turn that off?) start the Verifying DMI Pool....... and sits there.<o:p></o:p>
    With the OS CD and boot from DVD, Vista loads to the load driver screen. I load the most recent driver from the Gigabyte website it sees the controller then cannot find the drive. I assume this is because it is not setup in the Intel Manager but I never see where to enter it. The manual states nothing about 2 drives being necessary and I have tried the SATA Native mode.<o:p></o:p>
    Is this something to do with the Raptor which has been verified good in another machine and is plugged into SATA2-0 on the board?<o:p></o:p>
    Thanks in advance for any advice.<o:p></o:p>
    Cheers!<o:p></o:p>
    Scott

Re: GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-DS3R New Build HD/RAID Issue

Let me get this straight... you're trying to setup RAID with only one drive??? Why??? What do you hope to achieve with a RAID array of one drive??

BTW, i believe the Ctrl+I prompt is at the post screen (its been a while since i've done it)

Comment

Come on BongMan!!! You know better

First off all you CANNOT setup RAID with one disk, you MUST have 2 or more for any type of RAID >>>
      RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Standard RAID levels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Hard Disk Requirements
      Raid Explained Requirements Mirroring Striping

The disks will Always say "Controlled By RAID" because you are using a RAID Controller (ICH9R). When you DO have 2 drives, right when you see that "Controlled by RAID" and the readout of items before the IRQ screen you will see the "Control + I" to enter RAID BIOS printed at the bottom of the screen.

You will not ever see this, or get into the RAID BIOS until you have 2 disks installed

No, you cannot disable the IRQ screen, but you can disable the Gigabyte Image at post if you like in advanced options

From your manual towards the back see image, your Manual OF COURSE states this >>>>

You knew better from the sounds of your "The manual states nothing about 2 drives being necessary" Comment.

Right? Well anyway, there is all your answers. You need a second drive for RAID of any type.

Good luck with your install or second drive ordering. I was not trying to sound bad towards you either, just thought it was kinda funny how you seemed to ask yet knew you needed 2 at the same time. So no offense meant at all, answers posted for sure for ya

Comment

see that's exactly what i was getting at... just in more words...

Comment

HAHA I know, I was just givin ya shzt!

Comment

In theory, one could want to create one of the redundant modes in degraded state in order to first copy data to the array from a source disk, and then add the source disk to the array to make it whole. But do not expect such mind-boggling jugglery being possible with these fakeraids.

(Been there, done that. Had disks A and B as Linux software RAID1 "array1". Created degraded RAID1 "array2" from disk C. Copied data from array1 to array2. Wiped disks A and B. Added B to array2, and raid1 did the rebuild.)

Comment

Yea, I pretty much knew that but this is my first build, I deserved that, sorry!

Okay, so one Raptor drive, if not using RAID (disabled in the BIOS), attempt to reinstall OS and it is looking for a driver. I assume the RAID driver will now be incorrect because i tried to install the drive with and without using the driver. Without, nothing obviously comes up in the driver/drive box and with it nothing comes up in the driver box after I scan the driver disk. If not using RAID, is there another driver as I did not see one on the website?

I have a feeling I'm missing something simple here but cant figure out what the heck I am doing wrong.

Thanks again!

Comment

lol I love you and hate you at the same time LSD!

You can leave the RAID driver on your system, it will be useful if you ever want to setup RAID in the future and it wont have any negative effects. Just disable RAID in the BIOS for now and reenable it if you do want to setup an array.

Comment

HAHA, Why, what did I do Bong?

Ya you can leave the RAID driver, but if you already wiped the system you will need to use the same driver only choose SATA when you see the driver names after loading it
                  GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Driver Download

BIOS settings will need to be >>>>
                  SATA RAID/AHCI Mode _____________ Disabled
                  SATA Native Mode ________________ Enabled

If you are still having issues you may need to use the manufacturer tools to setup your disk for first use which some disks MUST be done this way, others do not and windows can format them >>>
                  WD Support > Downloads > SATA Hard Drives > WD VelociRaptor

Comment

Thanks Bong, Thanks LSD!

Probably going to pick up another Raptor this afternoon just to do it right.

Comment

There ya go!

Good luck, Pick me up few as well!

Comment

Working...
                      X