X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Bios Behaviour

Should have posted here from get-go.

#1}
    I've had my X48-DS4 5 or 6 months now & am pleased with it overall. However I have noticed something odd about the bios. If/when I get into the o/c part of it & manipulate fsb , voltage , ram , etc it works as programmed. The "strange" comes into play when I try & go back into the bios & manually revert the o/c settings downward to keep the heat at bay. I do this , re-boot & proceed to Vista32. I notice right away , via cpuz/hw monitor , the fsb , along with the ram , settings have indeed reverted to what I set it to. However the cpu temps have NOT gone down but continue to be at the high o/c temps !

Now the first time this happened I figured I just forgot to back down on a certain number on a particular setting. But this is not the case at all. I have reset the bios to defaults , wrote down every default setting & then set up my o/c options. I then reverted back manually to default but the cpu temps continue at the high o/c temps.

I've found the only way to get my bios & temps back to default numbers is to choose the "fail-safe" setup in bios. Which is a hassle since "fail-safe" changes a lot of other stuff to.

I wonder if there's anything I'm missing here or something I can do different. Fwiw , this happens with either the F1 or most recent F2 bios versions.

#2}
    Here's another odd quirk after going to F2 bios.

If I "restart" out of Vista & hit my reset button at start of bootup the bios will load F1 bios version !

#3}
    I do not know if this is normal behaviour or not...the +12v option does not appear on voltage monitoring software , like HWMonitor , unless the cpu is taxed. For example if I have HWMonitor start @ Vista start up the +12v does not appear. However if , for example , I run Prime95 , Folding , etc then the +12v symbol appears with voltage numbers.

Is this normal ?

None of these problems are critical enough to prevent use but they are aggravating.

Thanks !

Re: Strange Bios Behaviour

You need to flash to the latest NON beta, and Load Optimized defaults not fail safe, then reboot. And then you should start using Profiles in the BIOS so you wont have to write down things or try to remember.

On the MAIN page of the BIOS F11 is Save, and F12 is Load. Get optimized defaults loaded and save and apply and reboot. Then set your simple things like main ram timings and voltages. Then esc to MAIN page and hit save, name this profile Stable Defaults. Then anytime you have issues you can use F12 and just load this instead of flashing or trying to manually lower them all again.

Then go set all your overclock settings, and esc to main Page and hit F11 and then hit F12 and save this as Overclocking X.xx Ghz (BE sure to Arrow Down past "Stable Defaults" profile so you dont overwrite it)

What does PcWizard or whatever apps you have say for the amount of voltage on the 12V rail? I'd suggest for now you download PCwizard, just incase HwMonitor's values are just a error >>>
    CPUID ~ PCWizard

Comment

I had no idea I was using a "beta" bios or I would not have flashed to it (f2). I got f2 from Gigabyte's site & did not see anything about it being a beta. The only thing I see there , re beta , is an explanation what beta is. It looks like f2 is just a normal upgrade from f1.

I will print & use for future reference your informative "profile" reference.

As far as my +12v question goes I already have PC Wiz. It seems , when 12v does not appear , it does not show on anything. However , of course , since I posted , it does show up most of the time with a 0.32v reading on both pgms @ idle & increases as work is applied going up to the 4.* & 5.* numbers under stress.

I normally do not pay a lot of attention to voltages after a cursory check. However I recently had a HDD literally go up in smoke. I changed p/s from an Antec 650w to a Seasonic 80+ 550w during a HSF change out (zalman9700) since I had to remove m/b to install the Zalman.

Thanks

edit

here are PC Wiz voltage numbers:

Voltage CPU : 1.17 V
      +3.3V Voltage : 3.34 V
      +5V Voltage : 5.02 V
      +12V Voltage : 0.32 V
      VTT : 1.89 V
      VBAT : 3.26 V
      Last edited by radiored; 09-30-2008, 11:03 AM. Reason: Addendum

Comment

Ya, It may be final, Which it is after I looked. I just said that incase it was a beta

Seasonic is good, so I would think that is just a software error with your 12V measurement being picked up improperly from the board sensors is all. No need to worry, if it was really that low your PC would not start at all. Does speedfan show the same? I ask because the other software may be using the wrong sensor as a setting and speedfan you can pick the sensors and adjust things

All looks good for those values except CPU VTT, if that is correct. But you do not have direct control over the VTT in that Boards BIOS. So I would suggest if you have the FSB voltage set to lower it. What did you have it set at? It is not the direct VTT value, and I am not sure what it combines with Vtt as it is a "Generic" FSB voltage setting.

If you indeed do have VTT in your bios, lower it or set it manually. 1.30-1.38/1.4 for 45nm, and 1.4-1.6 or more is ok for 65nm

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Comment

I have a E3110 myself and do not see it so it is likely just the board sensors since I tested speedfan just now and mine is off as well (No P45 config either) and I do not have DES installed on this disk, nor do I have Speedstep on. It is just a bunk reading and it seems no matter what it will not pick it up correctly

As for VTT still, can you show me Tuner, voltage, advanced section of ET6 please? You may need to set FSB voltage to +.1 or .2 as normal or Auto may set it way higher.

As for you 12V, I think PCwiz, along with other apps you are using is just grabbing the wrong data from the sensors as mine is wrong it is as well >>>>

But just fine in Everest >>>

Hey, Just so you know you can host your own images at tinypic.com or similar and you may use up to 10 at once here in img tags >>> [img] Direct Image URL here[/img]

Speedfan Needs a proper config for X48 you can get it here, but you must login/register>>>
              SpeedFan Configuration Manager

If you have trouble registering because of you email, use one of these logins >>>
              ALMICO.COM passwords - login with these free accounts to bypass compulsory web registration - Bugmenot.com

I know P35 did not work until I had a Proper config for it from there. But then again I have had some boards not work even with the proper config's for them. Kinda a buggy app I think anyway. But to each their own

Motherboard monitor also shows me the exact same wrong voltage, so I just assume they both pickup the wrong info is all. Use everest I say it is all you need.

Comment

Lsdmeasap notes:

"As for VTT still, can you show me Tuner, voltage, advanced section of ET6 please? You may need to set FSB voltage to +.1 or .2 as normal or Auto may set it way higher."

An interesting observation. Please note attached pic you requested. I will also manipulate my "FSB o/c control" to see what effect it produces. I'll post anything interesting.

One thing that baffles me. If I o/c my cpu & leave the bios's voltage control to manual/default & boot into Vista my cpu temps are MUCH lower than if I set the bios voltage to auto. The same o/c numbers , with bios voltage set to auto , increase my cpu temps by 10c at the least. It does not make sense since I get the same cpu bench increase with EITHER voltage setting. Obviously I leave that setting to manual/default to keep the low cpu temps but still get the cpu boost.

Also you are correct re the different pgms giving varied voltage readouts depending on the one used. I don't know which readouts are worse...the voltage or the cpu temp. What with the cpu & cpu "core" temps , & everyone being different depending on pgm used , & the crazy voltage numbers displayed , I have no faith in ANY of them anymore. One would think something as simple as accurate temperature readings would not be that hard to get. Not so.

I'm finding there's a lot more to this o/c'ing business than I first thought !
                Attached Files

Comment

Ya, Overclocking it isnt plug and play for sure. Gotta read lots and try everything.

I have 100% faith in Everest, it is all I use now that I can adjust TjMax, gets all temps spot on and voltages as well. Well as far as software goes for picking up voltages. I also have much faith for temps in a Calibrated RealTemp, and Coretemp with both having correct TjMax set.

Very strange your ET does not show FSB voltage since you can adjust it. But I would think after seeing all those wrong values Vtt is likely incorrect as well.

Here is how my ET looks (But yes, of course I can set all of voltages in the BIOS is why you see far more) >>>

I would just think like I said above you vtt is likely fine. As for Auto giving you more heat I believe it for sure, that is why I always suggest against it

Comment

Wow...your ET6 gives a LOT more info. However , like you say , you have a lot more bios options (p45) than I (x48). To tell you the truth I was not sure ET6 would even work at all for me as Gigabyte notes ET6 is for P45 c/s & does not mention support for X48 c/s. But it does work well in what it does support re my m/b.

I will work with Everest & SpeedFan to get correct calibration(s) since you have confidence in both if set up correctly. And I will definitely NOT use auto voltage option again. I'm finding this X48 board to be very stable re o/c setups & I really like the saving "profile" option you explained. It makes it very easy to load different setups quickly & efficiently.

I will do more research here @ T/T & other sources to refine my o/c knowledge. It really is a fun challenge to try & fine that *sweet spot* between power , stability & heat.

Thanks !

Comment

Good luck, and post back anytime man!

Comment

Working...
                      X