PATA HD on AHCI-Raid? - GA-P35-DS3R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PATA HD on AHCI-Raid? - GA-P35-DS3R

Can I use 5 PATA IDE Hard drives with IDE-SATA adapters connected to the ICH9 Sata ports 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 - running as a RAID 5 array? The drives are 500gb drives, so I hope to get a 2.5TB Raid5 array (2TB usable) - does the MB have a limtation on Array Size?

I've not had problems with the adapters using them as single-drives, but haven't used them in AHCI mode or in a Raid.

I'm trying to migrate from my LSI Megaraid i4 controller with it's 2TB (1.5TB usable) limitation and slow performance (35MB read avg.)... but using the same drives.

Re: PATA HD on AHCI-Raid? - GA-P35-DS3R

No limitation on size anymore, but you may have a issue running RAID thru IDE to SATA adapters for sure

Best thing you could do is backup that data and buy new SATA drives I would think

Comment

The Intel Matrix Storage Manager documentation states that IDE to SATA adapters aren't supported.

Comment

Thanks! I was still reading the datasheet myself

Comment

Originally posted by kcconlin9319 View Post
          The Intel Matrix Storage Manager documentation states that IDE to SATA adapters aren't supported.
          Thanks for the reply. I didn't think to look at Intel's site.. tons of info there. I see that they don't "support" or recommend it - but they don't say that it -won't- work... so it's likely a hit-miss based on the type of drives and adapter. LINK

As new SATA drives would cost way too much, I'm going to try it anyhow. I don't think I would get corrupted data issues - it's either going to work or not... right?

Comment

SATA drives are actually pretty cheap nowadays depending on where you live. They are MUCH faster, and that is what I would be looking into unless you are flat broke

Comment

Working...
            X