Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP43-DSL + 2 PCI-E GFX Cards?

Hi everyone!

Note 2 on page 12 of the English manual states that two PCI-E graphics cards can be installed, and both slots will run at 4x 1.1 PCI-E standard. I'd like to be able to drive four monitors and so i have bought two Gigabyte 8400GS cards.

Both cards work fine on their own, in either slot, however when I try to use both, only the card specified in INIT DISPLAY FIRST actually works. I can see both cards in the BIOS, however they are using the same IRQ and I suspect this is the problem.

The second card isn't listed in the device list during POST, and windows states that the device cannot start (code 10).

Is the manual wrong and in fact i can't use a second PCI-E card?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by almeida; 09-26-2008, 07:24 AM.

Re: EP43-DSL + 2 PCI-E GFX Cards?

this is a driver level issue with just about every card on the market today (Nv and ATI)... you can run 2 monitors with SLI, but there is some issues (eg when a full screen app is launched the second monitor dies)... i know a fix is in the making and is on the way very soon

Comment

Thanks for your reply! I should probably have mentioned that i'm not trying to run SLI, just two separate cards each running two monitors.

Originally posted by BongWizard View Post
      this is a driver level issue with just about every card on the market today (Nv and ATI)... you can run 2 monitors with SLI, but there is some issues (eg when a full screen app is launched the second monitor dies)... i know a fix is in the making and is on the way very soon

Comment

Doesn't anyone have any experience of this then?

Janus are you able to help me? I have been in contact with tech support but the reply i got back wasn't very helpful!

Comment

I see only one PCI-E Slot on your motherboard, and in the specs >>>

Expansion Slots

1. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot
          (The PCI Express x16 slot conforms to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
          2. 4 x PCI Express x1 slots
          3. 2 x PCI slots
          GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-EP43-DS3L (rev. 1.0)

So what gives? Does your board have 2 PCI-E slots? I just dont see from looking at the spec's and your boards image how you even are plugging in 2 PCI-E cards? Image for anyone who is not sure why I say this >>>

So... this page would then apply >>>

Can PCI express graphic cards work in PCI slots? | What the Tech

Not sure if you maybe have the wrong board listed as your board or what is going on here as 2 PCI-E cards should not fit into your board at all?

So what you really need if your board model is correct above is a second PCI or PCI x1 card to run two monitors. Or you can hook up two monitors to the one PCI-E card you have installed in the PCI-E slot, if your card supports this, which most do

If you have the model of your board wrong, and still have this issue let me know and I can further make suggestions to get both working

Comment

Argh sorry, title should have read EP43-DS3

This board has 3xPCIe (1x, 4x, 16x) and 4xPCI.

I'm getting really confused about the whole thing now though, as the first response from Gigabyte tech support said it wouldn't work, and after querying it for a second time i have been told it "surely" does work.

I'm running out of time to RMA my second card back to the retailer for a refund, so, any ideas? To clarify, here is the picture of my board:

Thanks for the response!
            Last edited by almeida; 09-26-2008, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Good to hear that it was a typo

Set Init first display to PEG, and then install the second card. And go into windows and reinstall the Nvidia Driver package. Reboot and go back into windows and (Not sure as I use ATI) you will need to open the Nvidia Control Panel and enable the second monitor.

I would also set this manually >>>
              ICH I/O……………….....1.550V - 1.6
              ICH Core…………...……1.100V - 1.20

You may also want to manually set IRQ's like you mentioned. To do this, on the MAIN Page of the BIOS hit Control + F1, then go into PnP/PCI Configurations page and you will see more IRQ settings. I am not sure what to suggest after that As I have never changed any in a Gigabyte board. But I do know they are hidden Until you use the horkey

If that does not help I am not sure what to suggest. Have you spoken with Nvidia or the maker of your card at all on the phone? I would call them up for sure and ask, they will be happy to help.

If nothing else you should be able to run dual monitors from one card like I said, but that may not be ideal depending on the uses you need them for

Does your PSU Support both cards together?

The only other thing I could suggest would be for you to make a post here >>>
              NVIDIA Forums

And if they give you the answer post back please! But please try what I suggested above first and let me know if that helps any. Have you
              Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-26-2008, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                Good to hear that it was a typo
                You may also want to manually set IRQ's like you mentioned. To do this, on the MAIN Page of the BIOS hit Control + F1, then go into PnP/PCI Configurations page and you will see more IRQ settings. I am not sure what to suggest after that As I have never changed any in a Gigabyte board. But I do know they are hidden Until you use the horkey
                Thanks for the tip there, i wasn't aware of that hotkey. The problem seems to be that in the BIOS both cards show up as using the same IRQ line, and there doesn't appear to be any way to separate them even with the extra settings, just assign them both a different IRQ.

If that does not help I am not sure what to suggest. Have you spoken with Nvidia or the maker of your card at all on the phone? I would call them up for sure and ask, they will be happy to help.
                Sadly the manufactuer of the two cards is also Gigabyte! (thought it would be safer that way!) They do not have a phone number for my country (UK) and as already mentioned i have found the web-help less than useful so far. I will try contacting nVidia though, if only to confirm my suspicions that this just isn't going to work.

If nothing else you should be able to run dual monitors from one card like I said, but that may not be ideal depending on the uses you need them for
                I'm already running two monitors off the one card - i was hoping i might be able to run three or four using the second card . Unfortunately i'm already using all 4 pci slots otherwise i'd have got myself a cheap PCI display card instead.

Does your PSU Support both cards together?
                Presumably - they are cheapo 8400GS's that don't even require the extra power connector.

I'll see if i can glean anything from nVidia - will let you know if i find anything useful. Thanks again for the help!

Comment

Sorry I could not help you more. Did you try the things I suggested?

Have you asked at a more Gaming or Overclocker orientated site?

Have you tried in device manager, in safe mode, uninstall the one that shows a error, and then scan for new hardware and reinstall the driver again?

I know it can be done for sure man, just never done it myself

Comment

Working...
                  X