Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-P35-DS4 Overclock stopped working-help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P35-DS4 Overclock stopped working-help!

I need a little help. I have a GA-P35-DS4 (v2.0) which has been humming along just fine for a few months now with an overclock setup of 8x400, most things set to auto, yielding 3.2ghz and 1000mhz memory speed. I've watched the temperature daily and its always been in the low to mid 30's, except on hot days where it might go to 40C if there is stuff going on. Its been working absolutely flawlessly.

The other day I got up in the morning and discovered that my system had crashed, or more precisely frozen. There was not much running, IM, email, probably some open web windows, screen saver. All pretty much ildle, except for the screen saver, which is nothing special either.

I restarted the system, but it will not seem to accept the overclocking memory speed I am trying to use. No matter what I put there, it boots up at 2.13ghz. If I change the multiplier from 8x to 7x, then it boots up at 1.87ghz. Going to 9x I'm sure would go slightly higher, but I didn't try it yet to see the actual number. However, normally I can adjust the actual memory speed to something in the 300's range to get the desired overall bus and clock speeds, but that number seems to be ignored now completely. Yes, I am already making sure to "Enable" it. I have tried to disable and then enable. I have tried to load from BIOS a saved setup. Something seems to have fried, but the system still boots up and appears to be working normally(but slowly) at 2.13ghz now.

Anyone have any ideas what may have happpened or what I can do about it? Not only am I not overclocking now, but the system is actually running BELOW the stock 2.4ghz speed for the chip. Maybe that is what I would get at 9x, I need to try that for now. But man, what a slug compared to before. Any suggestions?

thanks
    Last edited by Dewdman42; 09-21-2008, 01:26 PM.

Re: GA-P35-DS4 Overclock stopped working-help!

Do you have EIST and C1E disabled? Have to ask, sorry

What I would do it first either Clear the CMOS Properly, or flash to a new BIOS or the same one and start over. Proper Clear CMOS procedure here >>>

I would also be testing each ram stick one by one at stock timings, speed, and voltage to be sure one of them or both is not dying/dead with Memtest86+ >>

Comment

did you recently connect a USB HDD? If so, disable Legacy USB storage support in your BIOS

Comment

Yes EIST and C1E were/are disabled. Legacy HDD was already disabled.

I will try to reflash BIOS and resetting CMOS tomorrow. It may be a while before I can afford the time to run memtest. The system seems stable enough running right now at 2.4. The problem seems to be in the motherboard, its not even trying to run the higher bus speeds.

Comment

Ya, try a reflash or clear CMOS when you get the time, it will likely correct itself.

I have also seen some users fix this by re-seating the CPU

Comment

sounds like you've got just one BIOS setting that disagrees with your hardware (I know... its so annoying) but i cant really say what it is from here... i think you'll just wanna turn key features (that activate before Windows boots) on and off until something works

Comment

well let me reiterate that my system was working flawlessly for several months with an overclocked setup. Only the other day it froze and won't overclock now. Nothing else has changed. I am going to try reflash bios and reset CMOS now. hopefully that will cure the problem.

Comment

Ya, I would for sure do that, but I would test the ram first. One stick could have died or started to die

Good luck, and let us know how you get along!

Comment

I tested the ram, no errors

Comment

K, please try a proper Clear CMOS as per my suggested method in the above link or a BIOS flash, with same BIOS or newer

Be sure to load optimized defaults after you flash, and if you have RAID see my guide linked above for important Flashing info for RAID users

Comment

yeah try clearing the CMOS, but dont just use the button, actually disconnect the PSU, remove the battery and cross the terminals for 20 seconds, or disconnect the PSU and put an IDE jumper on the Clear CMOS pins and wait 20 minutes

Comment

The CMOS reset seems to have cured the problem. Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Nice to see you are back in business! Sometimes a Clear CMOS is all that is needed for many issues

Comment

Working...
                          X