• Show
Clear All

• GA-MA78GM-S2H startup problem.

Here is my setup:

GA-MA78GM-S2H
    Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2 X 1 GB DDR2 800
    AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400
    Antec EarthWatts 300W
    OLD IDE 80GB Hard Drive from previous system.

Using "Optimized Settings" from MB Bios, the computer seems to post fine, but when it gets to the point where windows should start the system just resets and just does this over and over. I tried messing with a few settings, but to no avail. I'm a relative n00b when it comes to this type of thing. The hard drive works in my current system just fine.

I'm guessing there are some drivers I'm missing or perhaps some setting that I don't have quite right. Any help is appreciated. I'm stuck.
    Last edited by Wadsworth; 09-17-2008, 10:08 AM.

Re: GA-MA78GM-S2H startup problem.

Did You reinstall Windows when plugging Your old HDD into the new system?

Comment

No I just stuck the hard drive in and turned it on. I guess it makes sense that it won't work because of the difference in drivers.

I installed a slipstreamed version of a XP disc on a brand new SATA drive and put it in and everything works fine, so I know it's the IDE hard drive that is causing the problems and not the new components.

Is there some way to get the IDE drive working without reinstalling windows?

Comment

No, you have to do a clean install when moving from board to board, not HAVE to but it is suggested, and better for your system

If you need to backup data to SATA off the IDE you can have both connected, boot from
        the SATA and move DATA off the IDE.

But ya, if you want to use the IDE only for your system I would do a clean install for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          No, you have to do a clean install when moving from board to board, not HAVE to but it is suggested, and better for your system

If you need to backup data to SATA off the IDE you can have both connected, boot from
          the SATA and move DATA off the IDE.

But ya, if you want to use the IDE only for your system I would do a clean install for sure

That is exactly what I did. Installing a fresh copy of windows on the IDE did the trick. Then I just had to copy the files from the SATA drive back over.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

So you all up and running smoothly then? If so, great to hear it. Post back anytime if you need some help

Comment

Working...
            X