BSOD's with GA P35 DQ6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSOD's with GA P35 DQ6

It hasn't quite been 3 years since I built my last system with a GA P35 DQ6. I thought a had the best system that I ever built. It ran so beautifully.

Less than 3 months ago, I started getting BSOD's. Periodically at first. However, over the last 3 or 4 weeks they occurred more and more frequently.

I had 4 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1066 PC2-8500 memory modules in the system since I first built it and started it up. I used Windows Memory Diagnostic (on a floppy) to test it with all 4 sticks installed. Started getting failures almost immediately and LOTS of them. I then ran the test with only one stick installed at a time. 3 of the 4 tested fine after about 5 or 6 standard test passes. The one that didn't pass started getting failures almost immediately as well so I have assumed that memory stick is "Bad"???

I took the system apart,took everything but the motherboard and the memory to a local computer shop and had it all fully tested and it all passed. Shipped the motherboard to Gigabyte. I should be getting it back in a couple of days or so, so I will find out if the board was ok or if it needed some repair.

Over the past week or so I have pondering my brains out trying to figure out why I was having so many problems. Which component was bad, this that and the other thing. The Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1066 weren't on the motherboard's memory support list for DDR2 1066 but were for DDR2 800.
    Had the memory voltage set to Crucial's spec (2.0v) but did not mess with the timings (didn't know anything about memory timing at the time)

I talked with a couple of Gigabyte techs by phone and they told me something about having to tweak the BIOS (voltage and timings) settings several times just to get the system stablelized. Maybe that's why the Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1066's were not on the memory support list...I dunno.

I more than likely start rebuilding my system sometime this week and I would appreciate any and all information that anyone could provide. I'd hate to have to get the system rebuilt and run into the same problems.

P.S. One difference this time around is that I will be using 2 x 2GB Kingstons Hyper X DDR2 1066 PC2 8500 memory sticks instead of the Crucial Ballistix.

Thanks in advance.

David

Re: BSOD's with GA P35 DQ6

Crucial ram Dies more then any other I have seen, and for no reasons often. Everyday I see more replies in the "On my Second/Third RMA on my Crucials" on Various boards. I have seen them Die because of overvoltage (Of Course), Undervoltage, tight timings, act.

Anything can kill them, or nothing at all. Simple fact is they die, and they do so often. I am actually surprised to hear yours lasted as long as they did

Crucial yes at one time was the best, but not by far now. And I would suspect this is your issue. You either have one or more dying sticks. Crucial is also in my Personal list of NOT COMPATIBLE with GA-P35 Boards (800 or 1066), but some get them to work as you have for years.

Windows Memory test is junk, but as you see you do have a bad stick maybe more.

So since you are having issues, I would suggest you download the Latest Memtest86+ and test each stick one by one in slot one until you find the dying one/ones . MUST be the latest as older versions are NOT compatible with P35>>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

2x2GB will need some adjustments as well, Ill help you when you get your board back. Sorry for the above, I tend to answer as I read so.... I Guess you cannot be testing those Crucials. So so when you get your board back and sell the working sticks. Get a RMA on the dead ones and sell those as well when you get the new ones

Comment

Thanks for the info Lsdmeasap.

Wow. I knew Crucial was slipping...but not that bad.

That's a major disappointment.

In one of your other posts you stated that Kingston memory are not the best for OCing unless they are the more expensive one's. What do you think about Kingston's Hyper X series (DDR2 1066 PC2-8500)??? I don't have them in my possession at the moment. I am waiting for them to arrive at MWave so I can go trade in the Crucial Ballistix for them.
      Last edited by DavidDavisLeeSomething; 09-16-2008, 08:58 AM. Reason: Left something out

Comment

Nevermind.

Mwave.com discountinued that particular Kingston memory.

I'm going with Mushkin XP ASCENT w/ eVCI technology 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Comment

Nice choice. Ya, Kingston is OK, but I would not get them at all for overclocking. The expensive ones are for sure better then the cheap ones, but there is better choices in the same price range.

I tried to reply to your other thread about the G.Skill and Mushkin info, will you post that link here please. Someone was deleting it as I was posting, so I missed you by a few on it.

I posted that info a few times in different ways, just wanted to see which thread you meant. I am talking about your thread about Mushkins, blue and black, and G.Skills Q And K sticks

Comment

Hi LSD,

Here is the link for that post I read

I stumbled on it again after I asked for another post about the memory.

I found a good deal on those Mushkins at *NewEgg*. $122 after rebate. Almost cheaper than the 2 Crucial Ballistix 2x2 kits.

Odd. I never heard of Mushkin very much till I came to this forum. Figured Crucial was the top dog with memory so I never bothered using anyone elses. I've built quite a few systems since 1995 and they all had Crucial memory.

Oh well.

Cant stay top dog forever.

Comment

Yeap, they USED to be the best. Not by far anymore.

Thanks for the link. It was not the thread I was thinking of but I will find it sometime

Comment

Working...
              X