X48-DQ6 New build, reboot loop, no post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X48-DQ6 New build, reboot loop, no post

Im really hoping someone can help me here! Ive been trying to find a gigabyte forum and this seems like the closest thing to it.

Basically I just built a new rig around my x48-DQ6 but I have still havent been able to get the system to post or get anything on screen at all and am just stuck in a restart loop.

I am running a Q6600, with 4x1GB OCZ Special Ops Urban Elite PC2-6400 but have tried with only 2 sticks and 1 stick of ram in but still makes no difference.

I have also tried my Q6600 in my old mobo, P5K-E but this problem is the same so I would think my CPU has been bricked, I did manage to get my CPU to post ONCE on my old mobo but that was it, so Im not too sure if the CPU is totally dead or not.

The main thing I would like to find out is if the CPU is at fault, could there also be a problem with my motherboard also or if I got a new CPU it would be fine?

Thanks for any help at all!

Re: X48-DQ6 New build, reboot loop, no post

Have you memtested all sticks of ram seperately on a different system? Can you?

I say test each one separately, because you may have been trying a Dead one when you did try booting with only one stick of ram in slot 1.

Which is my suggestion. Try booting with only one stick of ram in slot one, try each stick separately. If that is still a no go, I would disconnect everything but the minimum. CPU/Heatsink, 1 stick of ram in slot 1, andGFX card. That is all, no cd or hard drives.

Since you say your CPU also does not work on another board... It could very well be dead, or maybe either the pins are bent on both boards underneath or you are not fully securing it down.

Sounds to me that your CPU is the issue, whether it is dead or not I don't know. But it very well sounds as if it may be

Comment

Thanks for your quick response LSD, unfortunately I have been trying what you suggested already, running with the bare minimum and testing each stick of RAM on their own but it made not difference.

Do you know if there is a cpu mounting issue at all with the x48-DQ6, as I did feel the CPU looked rather high in the socket compared to on my P5K-E but I have tried remounting the CPU a number of time but each time I did feel it was a little high.

Comment

No, No issue that I know of. What Heatsink are you using?

But really, it does sound like maybe your CPU is dead since it wont work in another board as well. Do you have a third board or buddy who will let you test it in one of his?

Comment

I am actually using the Apogee GT, previously using the Ultima-90. I felt the mounting intially may have been abit tight, which leads me to why it thought I may have indeed damaged the cpu. Would it be possible to have damaged the cpu this way without damaging the pins in the socket? As my pins look perfectly fine.

Unfortunately I dont have a another mobo lying about, but I have just ordered a E8400 to see if it is in fact my CPU at fault, and will use it as a stand in if I RMA my Q6600.

Comment

Hmm, I doubt that. If your pins are ok then it is fine I would think.

It really sounds to me like a dead CPU since two boards wont let it function.

I'd say take it to a friends, surely you know someone with a old 775 laying around they are not using or will let you drop your chip in their system for a test.

But yeah, you will soon find out since you already ordered.

I do hear Intel RMA is painless, after you get thru their Trouble Shooting they will have you do. Like you haven't already tried enough

Comment

Unfortunately not, I just moved to another country so my access to my mates motherboards are rather restricted unfortunately :(

Oh well, seems like its time to play the waiting game. Thanks for your help lsdmeasap, much appreciated. Hopefully when my new CPU arrives it will be hassle free, Ill update this thread whether its goes smoothly or pear-shaped.

Comment

Ahh, Ok

Well good luck, and yes please post back and let us know how it goes

Pear Shaped, is that a saying you guys use where you are from, or just some funny translation?

Comment

Yeah, things "going pear shaped" is a phrase which is pretty common in the UK. After your question I actually had a look around to where it originated lol

Etymology (Meaning of Words): Pear Shaped, oxford english dictionary, michael quinion

If you want a quick read ;)

Comment

Ahh, thought it might be!

I have just been doing some translations this week myself, and thought that could be a bad translation so I had to ask since I was not sure where you are from

Pretty funny, I guess we all have our little sayings that change from time to time as the years pass.

I kinda thought that is what it meant anyway, just had to ask to be sure

Comment

Hehe yeah, differences in languages is rather interesting! I speak cantonese and english so notice alot of odd things :p

ANYWAY! CPU ARRIVED...

Put it in...everything started up and STAYS on now, so I can say for sure the Q6600 was at fault...but I dont get any display at all, tried the 8600GT 8800GT and 4870x2 but nothing...though I am starting to think all this chopping and change has made me forget something vital lol (BTW all the GPU fans start up)

Right now Ive got the ATX ATXv12 in, 1 stick RAM, CPU and GPU but fail to get any display at all...swear I havent forgotten anything have I?

Comment

Hmmmm

So no BIOS eh? Can you read my BIOS flash guide, and Clear CMOS fully and see if that helps.

Sorry, but I am about to get offline so you may not hear back from me till later today.

At least you have found the cpu was indeed dead, hopefully your board is ok!

Good luck, hope you get it. If not I will try to help you later. GFX card plugged in?

Comment

Ok, I have to go off to work now actually so I wont be able to test the clear cmos till later on but no doubt I'll be back later!

Yeah the Gfx cards have all been plugged in :p

Comment

K, see you later today or tomorrow. Good luck with things, and have a good one

Comment

Right I put the jumper of the cmos jumper for 20mins and took it off but still getting a black screen :(

I want to cry lol

Comment

Working...
                              X