Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-DS3R Raid 0 difficulty

Hello:

I've been searching for a solution to this problem and trying different things for a week without any luck so I thought I'd run this past this forum.

I have the Gigabyte GA-EP45C-DS3R with a Q9550 processor and 2GB of DDR3 1600 RAM. I'm trying to set up RAID 0 with two WD 150GB Raptors.

I've followed the Raid setup instructions in the Gigabyte manual to setup the Raid array and install Vista 32-bit.

In the CMOS, SATA RAID/AHCI Mode is set to 'RAID'. Hard Disk Boot Priority is set to boot first from the Raid.

When booting I receive a message reported on this forum in a few threads

- "Serial ATA AHCI Bios, Version iSrc 1.07 08042006 Copyright 2003-2006 Intel Corporation

This version supports only Hard Disk and CDROM drives
    Please wait. This will take a few seconds."

It does in fact take a few seconds and then Windows boots up normally.

I've tried this using three BIOS versions, the original BIOS and the two newer ones listed on the Gigabyte site. I'm currently using version F4b.

Vista seems to run alright after it starts up, though, at times it does seem to freeze for a few seconds - I think when the hard drive is being accessed.

Finally, the computer is unable to shut down or restart. Windows shuts down and the screen goes blank but then it hangs while the hard drives make a click-click-click sound. This happens wheater restarting from Windows or from the CMOS.

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Nolster; 09-12-2008, 01:58 AM.

Re: GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-DS3R Raid 0 difficulty

Sounds like you either installed the AHCI driver instead of RAID/and or have AHCI enabled in the BIOS.

You should also at least go in the MIT section of the BIOS, and set Performance Enhance to Standard, if you have not already. You may also set alot of other things to increase performance/stability

But lets get your RAID figured out for now.

You should have the following settings in Integrated Peripherals Page set >>>
    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH9R) ......... RAID

As you said I believe. So if you have that set, sounds like you have installed the AHCI driver instead when you choose a driver when installing vista. You did go into the Control + I RAID Array creation page and make a array right? If so, it still sounds like you just picked the wrong driver on install.

That message is the AHCI BIOS that loads when AHCI is enabled or installed.

Post some pics of your BIOS page if you like so I can check it out. Also, what do you see in Device Manager under Storage Controllers? Should be a RAID Device not AHCI

Comment

Originally posted by Nolster View Post
      "Serial ATA AHCI Bios, Version iSrc 1.07 08042006 Copyright 2003-2006 Intel Corporation

This version supports only Hard Disk and CDROM drives
      Please wait. This will take a few seconds."

It does in fact take a few seconds
      If it does work like in EP45-DQ6 (and it probably should as we are talking about Intel bits here), it will show:
      "......."
      under the text, eventually list the connected drives below that, the arrays below that list and tell that "Ctrl-I" takes you to the Intel Matrix Raid setup.

Does it?

Comment

Hey thanks for the responses.

Yes, I do get the little line of periods before the messages about the drives described appear and I can get to raid configuration utility with ctrl-I.

The raid drives have been set up and Vista starts and runs fine except for the little hiccups.

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode under Integrated Peripherals is set to RAID. I've installed the Intel ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R SATA RAID Controller each time I've tried a new install using the Vista interface before the installation. I have no idea how the AHCI driver keeps getting in there.

Everything else in the BIOS is default but I have now changed the Performance Enhance to Standard now and I'll see if there's any difference.

Thanks again!

Comment

Maybe you are choosing the wrong driver at the F6, Well vista "Load Driver" point. I do know when I load drivers there is many to choose out of just one actual driver

I will post a image in one second of what I mean, let me get a vista going in Vmware and get out a Intel RAID Driver

BRB

Comment

At the Vista "Load Driver" point, I choose the ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R SATA RAID driver.

"Hide drivers that are not compatible with hardware on this computer" is checked so that driver is the only one that appears.

Thanks for the help with this!

Comment

OK, Just to be sure..... This is the driver download you need >>>
              GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Driver Download

Extracted (For anyone who is not sure later on and to show how many choices ONE driver can give you at the point of install) >>>>

Vista's "Load Disk" driver choice was selected, and here is the driver that you should be choosing for RAID (32Bit example and links given here) See Image as well.

"Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R SATA RAID CONTROLLER (iaStor.inf) << There is a few so be sure you get the above mentioned one. >>>>

*EDIT*

I see you did already reply before I posted this, sounds like you chose correct.

But there should have been several drivers shown, because there is SATA + AHCI + RAID drivers all compatible with your system and all 3 should have been shown to you.

Well I do not know why, but other will vouch for this as well. The above described error/issue you are describing IS the AHCI BIOS loading before Vista starts, and should only do that if you are using or have AHCI installed/enabled.

So maybe you need a clear CMOS, Re-flash, Load optimized Defaults. And then a RAID rebuild and system Reinstall.

That is what I would do, and it will fix things. You should only be showed the gigabyte screen, the RAID array screen, and then IRQ Screen before vista loads. No AHCI BIOS Loading screen
              Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-12-2008, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Awfully big images, but content counts. There should be more errors if the driver is missing, I thing.

Odd thought. The problem is at shutdown/restart. And Vista, by default, goes to Sleep. Sleep mode and EP45-* have an issue, don't they? Could it be that whatever Vista does at "go to Sleep"/"poweroff" is the problem?

Side note. I have Sleep disabled. But I had "hdd powersave after 20 min". And I had 4 drives, two ICH10R RAID1. On "Shutdown", I did hear "clicks" and starting of jet engine. The second array (no files on it) must have gone to powersave, and Vista turned them back on in order to power them off ...

Comment

Will resize! Sorry I was posting another image and forgot to resize it

Well What I think is happening with the OP is that he somehow has AHCI enabled, or driver for it is installed as he is seeing the AHCI BIOS when he should not as he is using RAID

*EDIT*

No resize, the text in the vista driver box is too small. I would like to leave for anyone in the future who may need to view it. The OP does not, he says that is what he choose. So I think he should do as I suggested above, if he has the patience

*RE_EDIT*
                  Thumbnail added, sorry I forgot some may be on Dial up. I hated that!
                  Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-12-2008, 05:10 AM.

Comment

That's a great Windows theme, where did you get it?

Okay, I cleared the CMOS by unplugging power supply and leaving a jumper on the CLR_CMOS pins for a few hours.

Started up and (after it was finished looping through the boot a few times), loaded the F3 BIOS with Q-Flash.

Restarted and loaded the optimized defaults.

Restarted again and this time under Integrated Peripherals set SATA RAID/AHCI Mode to RAID.

Restarted and received the AHCI BIOS "this will take a few seconds" message again.

After that I receive the messages about the drives again and it tells me I can hit CTRL-I to enter the config utility. Deleted the Raid volume and created it again. Exited and restarted again.

Booted up with the Vista disk, input key and accepted license. At the "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen, chose "Load Driver" and loaded the Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R SATA RAID Controller (iaStor.inf). With the "Hide Drivers..." box checked, only this one appeared in the box.

Chose to install Vista on the Raid. Windows installed and restarted the computer.

Received the AHCI BIOS "this will take a few seconds" message again.

Vista completed installation and restared.

Received the AHCI BIOS "this will take a few seconds" message.

Vista started with the "Setup Windows" stuff, checked performance, prepared desktop and started up fine.

Restarted again, received the same AHCI BIOS "this will take a few seconds" message.

Just a note here, after the string of '....' it lists the installed hard drives and then says "AHCI BIOS not installed" followed by "Intel (R) Matrix Storage Manager option..." then lists the Raid drive, physical drives and "Press CTRL-I to enter Configuration Utility".

Then Vista starts.

It hasn't locked up at all during restarts so if nothing else, that seems to be resolved.

I'm at a loss. I have no idea how why it's loading the wrong driver or how to make it stop.

Thanks again for the help.
                    Last edited by Nolster; 09-12-2008, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                      somehow has AHCI enabled, or driver for it is installed as he is seeing the AHCI BIOS when he should not as he is using RAID
                      I get the "AHCI BIOS" text with EP45-DQ6 ICH10R in RAID-mode, so I think that is ok. After all, the RAID mode does include the AHCI functionality too. And (OS) drivers, those are loaded way later in the boot sequence.

@Nolster: Nice to hear you got it working. Some odd bits in wrong place ...

Comment

Hmm, Well sounds like it is supposed to show that then. Glad you have got it working better now.

I made the theme, some parts from other themes, some my own work. All my own Hex editing, and image replacements.

Comment

Heh, well, there we go then. It was solved and I didn't even know it.

Thanks for the help with this.

It was said to change MIT -> Performance Enhance to 'Standard'. That has been done now as well.

Is there a recommended place to find settings suggestions here?

Thanks again.

Comment

I can post you some suggested settings if you like. Or there is a few P45 DDR3 posted settings around if you can find them, I have helped a few with DDR3 here lately.

If not

Please fill this out so I can see what you are running now, And if you like go ahead and tell me what your would like to run if you plan to overclock and I will advise as well for that >>>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
                            Robust Graphics Booster ...............:
                            CPU Clock Ratio ..........................:
                            Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
                            CPU Frequency ...........................:

Clock Chip Control
                            Standard Clock Control
                            CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
                            CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: Mhz
                            PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
                            CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<<
                            PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<<
                            CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<<
                            MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<<

DRAM Performance Control
                            Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
                            Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
                            (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
                            System Memory Multiplier ..............:
                            Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............:
                            DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
                            CAS Latency Time........................
                            tRCD .........................................
                            tRP'...........................................
                            tRAS..........................................

Advanced Timing Control
                            tRRD...........................................
                            tWTR..........................................
                            tWR............................................
                            tRFC...........................................
                            tRTP...........................................
                            Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Channel A
                            Static tRead Value.........................:7-10
                            tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
                            tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                            tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                            tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                            Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
                            Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                            Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                            Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
                            Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
                            Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Channel B
                            Static tRead Value.........................:7-10
                            tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
                            tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                            tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                            tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                            Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
                            Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                            Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                            Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
                            Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
                            Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
                            Voltage Type.………... Manual
                            CPU
                            CPU Vcore….……….........................:
                            CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: <<< Leave
                            CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: <<< Leave
                            CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< Leave
                            CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< Leave

MCH/ICH
                            MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: <<
                            MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
                            MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
                            ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< Leave
                            ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< Leave

DRAM
                            DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............:
                            DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
                            Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
                            Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

Advanced Settings
                            Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                            No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                            CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                            C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                            x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                            CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                            CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                            Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Comment

Working...
                            X