EP43-DS3L Won't Post, Continuous Reboots After BIOS Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP43-DS3L Won't Post, Continuous Reboots After BIOS Update

I know this problem has been discussed before, but I'm wondering if there's any new developments to fixing this problem.

Specs:
    GA-EP43-DS3L (1.0)
    Intel e7200 C2D
    2x2 GB Crucial ddr2-800
    Radeon 3850

I set up the computer, everything worked fine. I was able to get into the bios (f4). I had a usb flash drive with the latest bios (f7) so I decided to update.

After that completed successfully, I restarted and that's where it stopped posting and continued to restart after a few seconds of inactivity. Everything powers up, but the keyboard doesn't light up and the monitor is blank.

I'm pretty sure none of my components are the culprit, since it worked fine until I updated the bios. Nevertheless I tried all the ram and psu switching to no avail. Cleared the cmos, too.

Don't gigabyte boards have the dual-bios feature where it will switch to the original bios if a bios update goes bad? I see nothing of that nature here.

The worst part of this is that everything was working until I upgraded the bios for no real reason other than wanting to have the latest version. More likely than not I would've been fine with the old bios. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for any help.

Re: EP43-DS3L Won't Post, Continuous Reboots After BIOS Update

Also, I can hear a few clicks coming from the mobo/speaker. There's one click when I first press the power button. Then, about 6-7 seconds later, there's two clicks and then the computer immediately turns off and restarts. Hope that makes sense to someone!

Comment

I have a similar issue with my EP35 DS3L. I used the QFlash method mentioned in this forum. After the procedure was done and the system reset itself, the board then went through some kind of recovery and then reset again.

However there are no beeps (there is usually 1 beep after a successful post). And the only clicks I can hear are from the components powering up like Disc drive and HDD.

I tried using the recovery methods in the bios thread, the only method that I haven't tried was clearing the CMOS for 30 minutes.

I bought it from NewEgg in May. I really would hate to RMA the thing knowing that its going to take a month to fix. But how would that work if I had to?

Also, I contacted Gigabyte support but I got no acknowledgement email or anything and its been a couple of days now.
      Last edited by Omega_X; 09-09-2008, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I can't find any working solution online. The automated bios update with a floppy doesn't seem to work because the computer resets itself before it detects any devices.

From what I've gathered clearing the cmos doesn't work because it only clears the settings in the bios, not the actual bios itself.

Looks like I'll be using the cheap mobo that came with my cpu for now.

Comment

Did you use the Correct BIOS for your board/revision? I know it happens sometimes anyway, just had to ask

Best thing for you to do first is remove all but one stick of ram in slot one and start your system to see if that gets you in the BIOS or not.

If not leave only that one stick in, and do a proper Clear CMOS as described in the Guide for 20+ minutes, and then start the system after the alloted time and see if you get in the BIOS.

If still no luck, remove your hard drive/drives and see if it will load the BIOS, This is all still only with one stick of ram please.

If no luck with any of the above please see if one of the BIOS Recovery options applies to you in Post #2 here towards the end >>>

I see you mention floppy and that guide, did you fully read it? I just ask because if your floppy was not already installed and set as first boot device then that method will be of NO help. It is a MUST that the floppy be previously installed and set as first boot device BEFORE a bootblock corruption.

Please try the above methods mentioned and let me know if you get anywhere.

And yes, doing a Clear CMOS should give you a checksum error when done properly and your Dual/Quad BIOS should kick in and copy over the backup.

I also just posted some Flash with Floppy information into the guide a few minutes ago. You will still as said above had to have the floppy already installed and set as first boot device, then if you wanted to try the Auto/unattended flash files you would need to first boot with a MS-DOS disk, then insert the floppy with the flash files on it.

And please keep in mind a BIOS flash can brick a board anytime with any method, so it is always best to keep the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality when it comes to BIOS's. I know sometimes you want the newest, But Generally there is not much added except CPU compatibility or Ram compatibility. So best to not flash unless a specific BIOS addresses a issue you are having, or you have had NO Luck with all previous BIOS's compatible with your CPU

Comment

Thanks for the reply, LSD. I tried all of the solutions you suggested, and unfortunately none of them worked. I left the cmos jumpered for 30 minutes and there was no change. The floppy method didn't work probably because it's not set to boot off the floppy.

The problem might have been from a faulty flash usb drive. It's a generic brand and it's had some read issues. But like I said the q-flash utility gave me no errors and everything looked perfect until I reset the computer. So for now, I'll be looking to returning or rma the board.

Comment

Yeah floppy has to be previously installed and set as first boot device for any of those methods to work

Can you load DOS from a USB stick? If so you may be able to push the flash from there, if you have a better USB Stick!

If you need the RMA page let me know, unless you ordered newegg... Then if so you are all set

Comment

Working...
              X