Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R (LSD I'm Back Baby)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R (LSD I'm Back Baby)

Hey LSD,

I'm not sure what you mean by underclocking? I show in bios now that I changed to:

(G)MCH Frequency Latch 400.00
    System Memory Multiplier 2.00D
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) 1066 1064 <--Thats what its running at now right? Before it was at 799 Mhz

Also my temps are at 3.6GHz 38c idle and about 52-54 at load.

But okay I can understand what you say about the memory upsets me that the guy at the store told me I was getting some of the best memory! But what do you think about this memory:

GeIL EVO ONE 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model GE22GB1066C5DC

Cas Latency: 5
    Timing: 5-5-5-15
    Voltage: 2.35V - 2.5V
    Heat Spreader: Yes
    Features: EVO ONE Heat-sink System
    Recommend Use: High Performance or Gaming Memory

Or:

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-2GBPI

Voltage: 2.1V
    Heat Spreader: Yes
    Parts: Lifetime limited
    Labor: Lifetime limited
    Model #: F2-8500CL5D-2GBPI

Or:

mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996612

Heat Spreader: Blue
    Voltage: 2.1V
    Model #: 996612

I would love to run at 1066 or close to it which would be 533MHz. So far my Crucial is running at 533MHz which in bios its at 1064 but I would love to push to 3.8GHz and if I understand correct it might be my memory that is holding me back? But I will do as you say and try different memory and NEVER by Crucial again. I really like GeIL EVO ONE 2GB (2 x 1GB) one looking at others results and everything but I want to make sure that its able to go with the MOBO. If not then Mushkin will be my choice or which ever you think that I will be able to push to the limit.

Comment

I said that becuase the last settings you gave back to me had 986 as the ram freq.

No big deal though, for sure

Salesmen will tell you anything to get you to buy what they have on hand. And often they also are actually clueless when it comes to anything other then how much things cost they sell. Frys/Outpost you are right, are a big named store. So either that guys is clueless or was just trying to get you to buy something he had instead and not go elsewhere to shop.... Since they do not stock Mushkins

I would get G.Skills that end in the letter K, they are the best ones if you choose G.Skills

Those Evo Ones are good

Mushkins as well, Black models are better.

Ya know your crucials are not likely what is stopping you. Since they run fine at 1064, but you cant get 3.8 you either need to loosen up your timings or switch to a lower CPU multi then you will have a easier time to get your ram where you want.

If your Crucials are working fine, there is no need to buy new ram at all. All my comments about Crucial, and or new ram was because I thought you had decided the ram was not performing up to snuff. Sounds to me as it is, and you just need to try some different variables in the BIOS.

Last Crucials I tested in my system were Lanfest 800Mhz, and they would do 1200+ so I would assume if your ram is passing memtest, you just need to try some different things in your BIOS for 3.8. And keep in mind Not all Q6600's will do 3.8

Comment

I have a quick question. What is the best bios update to use for this board?

Comment

?

Comment

You mean Version? If so, I do not know. Whichever you have tested to work best

Na, I really have not heard

Comment

What's with the Spam comment above?

The ? <<< all by itself?

Comment

for the ds3r ive heard the best bios revision so far has been f8, but ive never actually used the ds3r.

as for stability... try increasing the memory timings to something like 5-6-6-15.. this shouldnt decrease performance noticably, but should help out with stability... you should probably increase the tWR a couple cycles, and the static read can come down to about 8. you might also wanna kick the DIMM voltage up to 2.1V. Have you got the northbridge voltage manually increased (to 1.2-1.35V)?

But honestly, I dont think you RAM is really the problem, I think you should probably reduce the clock skew on both the memory and the CPU (in fact id probably just have the memory at 150cycles and the CPU at 0). Also maybe even drop the vcore a little bit.

you should be able to run your CPU at 3.8GHz (422x9) with the kind of temps you've got, in which case you could run the memory at 1013MHz (2.4x422) or 1123MHz (2.66x422), which your Crucial should do, no problem. So if i was you id set the strap to 333 and use the appropriate multiplier.

What're your current BIOS settings? (dont really want to know the timings, but the voltages and the frequencies could be useful)

Comment

Originally posted by BongWizard View Post
                  for the ds3r ive heard the best bios revision so far has been f8, but ive never actually used the ds3r.

as for stability... try increasing the memory timings to something like 5-6-6-15.. this shouldnt decrease performance noticably, but should help out with stability... you should probably increase the tWR a couple cycles, and the static read can come down to about 8. you might also wanna kick the DIMM voltage up to 2.1V. Have you got the northbridge voltage manually increased (to 1.2-1.35V)?

But honestly, I dont think you RAM is really the problem, I think you should probably reduce the clock skew on both the memory and the CPU (in fact id probably just have the memory at 150cycles and the CPU at 0). Also maybe even drop the vcore a little bit.

you should be able to run your CPU at 3.8GHz (422x9) with the kind of temps you've got, in which case you could run the memory at 1013MHz (2.4x422) or 1123MHz (2.66x422), which your Crucial should do, no problem. So if i was you id set the strap to 333 and use the appropriate multiplier.

What're your current BIOS settings? (dont really want to know the timings, but the voltages and the frequencies could be useful)
                  Thank you for taking the time to answering my question. Thought I would have to contact GIGABYTE to get the correct answer. But I have seen alot of others using F8 as well. I will give what you said a try but thanks for your help.

Comment

found out what is the problem! the vdroop for this board is horrible! Bios is showing 1.46v and CPU-z but when prime loads it droops to 1.328v then if I go to 1.535 in bios it goes to 1.346 on CPU-Z. I might I have switch boards if this is the case. I have never seen a board with a vdroop like this. What boards have you guys used that doesn't have such a bad vdroop?

I also tried my chip in my friends board however they discontinued his board :( which I could get up to 3.8GHz so the chip is capable even though I only ran prime for 45 mins on his board and it was stable. Even asked him to switch and he said no :(
                    Last edited by Shauntx; 09-19-2008, 03:28 AM.

Comment

All you have to do is raise the voltage then, no big deal. If you need 1.4, then set 1.5 in the BIOS if it is a Full .1 drop

Simple

Comment

CPU Vcore <<<< 1.57500v <---After vdroop 1.46v
                        Shouldn't be like that anyone with this board have a bad vdroop? Or what board if anyone can tell me that they have don't have this type of Vdroop! Now that I look online seems that this board is known for its bad vdroop! A overclockers nightmare and so far no mod

I know most people would be happy stable at 3.6GHz but if I have a good chip I want to push it more and last thing I want is to have my board hold me back! I had to buy 2 q6600 just to get the VID I was looking for and now to find out its the board! I even went to 1.6000v in bios when windows starts its at 1.4875v then at idle 1.47v not sure if the higher I go if the vdroop is getting worst but it sure does seem that way! I'm trying for 3.8Ghz Btw
                        Last edited by Shauntx; 09-19-2008, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Yes, there are boards with less Vdroop. but it is a Intel design, and is SUPPOSED to be there so you do not kill your CPU.

I am sure Merman will post here more info for you, he seems to know alot about it, more then I like to educate myself! HAHA I just can't keep interested in it I guess, It is a bit in depth, and I just overshoot it and not worry.

Here is some of his nice posts about Vdroop/vdrop and how it works >>>

Well it may be worse higher, and may not. But All ranges do have different amounts tied to them, so you may want to try all between what you did just post about

Comment

Working...
                          X