Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New board and cpu, dead dead dead.

this is my 3rd PC build.

I purchased a EP43-DS3L and an intel 6600 quad core cpu, new corsair 550w powersupply, new ram. i am using an existing 8800gts and existing sata HDD.

I connected everything up, when I Push the power button, the fans jump, but do not continue to spin. Nothing else spins up, no beep, and no POST.

I am at my wits end. What can I check, I have disconnected and reconnected all cables at least twice \\

Any help would appreciated.

thanks

wade

Re: New board and cpu, dead dead dead.

What ram is it, and how much 2x1 or 2x2?

Please try with only one stick of ram in slot 1

Do you have a case speaker connected to hear a beep?

Are you SURE the CPU is seated fully, and that there were NO bent pins under it before you put it in?

Comment

crucial 2x2 on the ram.

No beep from speaker

fans move for a split second, then nothing

Tried one stick in slot one.

I checked the pins before I put it in and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

I was going to go exchange mobo tomorrow.

Comment

You best check that ram on a different PC, Crucial is WELL known to die often.

Memtest86+, could be the issue as well >>>
        Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Do you have older ram to try in the board at all, any DDR2 will do?

Comment

I went and exchanges the board and got kingston mem 2x2. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

hey check the way you put your CPU in because when that happened to me I found out that I pushed down some of the pins for the CPU when installing the chip! But seems like you had same problems as I did

Comment

When I put the new board in I checked that the cpu is ok. I think I may hve discovered what i did wrong. On my old powersupply, I didn't have a 24 pin connector for the old board so I had used an adapter to take it from 20 to 24 pin. On the new board wth the new power supply,, I did the same thing, but I plugged the 4-pin connector from the 24-pin connector into the CPU power jack, instead of using the 8-4 12v and I used the adapter to make the now 20-pin connector into a 24-pin for the mobo., so I think I may have fried the board. Is that what should expect to happen if that is what I did?

Comment

Are you sure?? Those plugs are designed not to be interchangeable. I don't think it's possible to even get them to into the wrong receptacle. Not sure how you would be able to do this...
                Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
                Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

YA, I have seen it done! You likely did fry the board. Hope you can get a new one, just tell them it was DOA. If there is no burn marks underneath you should be fine

Comment

Guess I picked the wrong week to start sniffing glue.

Comment

At least it wasn't huffing SprayPaint, or you could have done at lot worse I suppose

ON a side note You could have also messed up the PSU, I would test it on a junk system or get a PSU Tester, before plugging it into anything new

Good luck with things, and seriously sorry to hear about this!

Comment

So much for the key-coded connectors, eh? I checked a new PSU I have here, and they are, in fact, different. But I guess you could force them in if you pushed it.
                        Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
                        Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

I have some that will both fit, and others that do not. So I guess it all depends on what Brand it is, and when it was made

Best to build PC's when you are fully rested

And of course when you are not sniffing glue

Comment

I don't believe this. I put board three in, connected everyting (correctly this time) and I got the same thing. So do you think I fired the power supply? How can you tell? I assume that if nothing moved there is no power, but system surges for a split second like it is going to start up, then nothing.

I saw your note on the psu tester too late. I till try again

Comment

Ya, without a tester there is no real way to know for sure. You could have also fried the ram and CPU as well. Have you tested those on a different system?

If you do get a working supply, and find the ram and CPU to still work but get the same errors. Then please try the system with only the CPU, GFX card, One stick of ram in slot one... NO hard drive and see if that helps any, as you may have also killed the drive but likely not

Comment

Working...
                              X