This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

What happens if you remove all Devices (CD/Hard Drives) and only use one stick of ram in slot one?

Well it sounds like your floppy was set as first boot device then, so you could try those methods but I would try with no drives connected first because one of them may be causing the issue and not your board. And this is likely to be the case since you do not see it say "Searching for Backup BIOS"

The Checksum error indicates that the Two BIOS's do not match because one has been recovered or reset and will remain until you load optimized or set your own settings. Do you have any other ram to test with, I would also be doing that as your ram may be to blame possibly as well.

You can use any Ultility you want, yes the switches are normally the same. You could always run the utility on another PC without a bat file and check what switches are available using the /? switch like so>>>

AWDFLASH.EXE /?

FLASH895.EXE /?

FLASHSPI.EXE /?

FLASH892.EXE /?

I would use Flash895 or AWDFlash, or if FlashSPI Comes with your BIOS downloads then it would be fine as well. Switches may not be needed anyway, you may just be able to flash with the normal command that is already in your BIOS downloads .bat file (flash892 k8nusli.f6) without switches. But if you get no where try it with switches, of course try my other suggestions first though.

I just grabbed F6 and it uses Flash892, so you may want to use that (I think they are all the same though anyway so flash program may not matter so much)>>>

Comment

hi mate cheers for finding that bios for me but when i first hooked up the floppy drive i must of done it wrong because nothing happen i tried about 10 times.

i have been doing trying with nothing connected no hdd's or cd except for a pci express video card because the board has no on board graphics.

i have tried 2 different sticks of ram (one at a time) in this machine and they both work because they are out of another pc that works.

you where saying that the checksum error was form a difference in the 2 bois's setting is there a way to force the machine to boot from the backup bios even if i have to remove the main bios (i know its not in a socket and strait on the board)?

thanks mate

Comment

Yes, it should appear that nothing happens. But then the floppy should be accessed of course though. Since you said "First Hooked Up the Floppy" do you mean it was not hooked up before? If not, then it may not have been set as the first boot device and thus would not help in this matter. And it sounds like it is not set like that, if you do not see the floppy accessed then it is not

Well I know you can short the MAIN BIOS out, but I only know which pins that is for the new 2x8Mbit boards. I do not know nor could I even start to suggest for your boards chips

You are not using 1066Mhz memory are you? Just checking as that could cause issues.

Can you give me the numbers off the BIOS chips and maybe I can find the manual and then be able to tell you which pins to short

And yes, if you remove/de-solder the MAIN BIOS it will boot from the backup chip if it is ok still, but that is up to you.

Comment

hi mate thanks for your reply i got given just the board with the failed flash so i don't know what was hooked up when i first put the floppy in the read light was on but when i made the boot/flash disk on my other system i had to turn the plug over for it to work.

im using old school ddr 400 ram

on the main bios sticker

PhoenixBios
          D686 BIOS
          PHOENIX 1998

on the sticker under the first one

K8NUSLI
          .00 F1
          PMCDFOO

on the chip itself

PMC Flash
          NOLAT
          Pm49EL004T-33JC

i didn't know witch info you needed so i hope thats alright

if the back chip boots i should be able to recover the main for that

thanks again mate you been a big help

Comment

Sorry, that gave me the info I needed, but sadly it was of no help.

Here is the PDF For that chip

And here is the one I know how to short, using Pins #5 + #6

There is so many pins on the one you have, and none of the names are the same So I would not be sure of how to advise

You can try some of the methods posted here or ask if anyone can tell you for sure here, the info I mention about blind flashing award BIOS and Shorting the pins for modern boards is also posted here >>
            BIOS Recovery procedures - My Digital Life Forums

Wish I could help, but I am not sure with that many pins what to advise. Maybe pins 31 and 30 but I am just not sure. I am not even sure if it is possible with that chip

Comment

hi mate those links have got some good info on them thanks for your help and time cheers

Comment

Hi, this is the first post here, excuse my English.

Updating the bios of my motherboard ga gigabyte P35 sd3l I failed bios and restart the computer, and there is no way to switch on, move the switch on the fans, but the monitor is not lit, as if not detected, I reset the bios, removed the battery, and does absolutely nothing on the computer screen does not leave anything .... You can not start doing something? if the monitor does not work.

Thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by klompa View Post
                  hi mate those links have got some good info on them thanks for your help and time cheers
                  Have any luck with that yet?

Originally posted by Arkangex View Post
                  Hi, this is the first post here, excuse my English.

Updating the bios of my motherboard ga gigabyte P35 sd3l I failed bios and restart the computer, and there is no way to switch on, move the switch on the fans, but the monitor is not lit, as if not detected, I reset the bios, removed the battery, and does absolutely nothing on the computer screen does not leave anything .... You can not start doing something? if the monitor does not work.

Thank you very much.
                  Have you tried with only one stick of ram yet? If not, please do so

Did you use @BIOS to flash? Do you have a floppy drive Already connected?

Comment

the thing you are expressing ok, i also excemine the on fully to know all details. any way its a nice post. all the best

Comment

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To, Qflash Guide"

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                      Clearing the CMOS
                      [...]

Then it is wise to unplug the Power Supply from the wall.
                      At one time I was having a nightmare getting my CMOS memory to clear. I had unplugged the PSU, removed the CMOS cell and shorted the CMOS jumper for several hours, but the CMOS still wouldn't clear. Reason: I still had some independently powered USB devices connected, and they were supplying enough voltage through the USB ports to keep the CMOS memory happy! I discoved what was happening when I used a volt meter to measure the power supply voltage to the CMOS memory, and found it was not zero. So I would add to the CMOS clearing instructions: Unplug the USB cables of any powered USB devices!

[Personally I now always connect my volt meter across the CMOS jumper pins after I have finished shorting them. The voltage should remain zero even after the jumper has been removed again. If not I know I have forgotten to disconnect something that is still supplying power and preventing CMOS clearing.]
                      Antec P182 case, 4xNoctua 120mm fans at 5V for silence, Corsair VX550 PSU, Powerware 5110 700VA UPS with 100Ah battery, ASUS P5E motherboard at minimum voltages throughout except CPU, Q9550 CPU at 3.33GHz undervolted by 0.15V for silent air cooling, TRUE 120 CPU cooler, 6GiB KVR800D2E5 ECC RAM at 940MHz 5-5-5-15, 2xWD6400AAKS drives in software RAID1, DVR-216 DVD drive, EN8600GTSLN fanless graphics card, Samsung 215TW monitor, 64-bit Linux OS

Comment

Thanks, will add that tonight!

Comment

Beltbraces that is very interesting thanks for posting that. I will have to remember that for other technical situations.

KM
                          Rig:
                          Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-EXTREME Bios F7c
                          Chip Core i7 920 with Ultra 120 X2 120mm fans push/pull
                          Memory: OCZ XMP 3 x 2GB OCZ3X1600LV6GK
                          PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W
                          Video: EVGA GTX 285 SSC Edition
                          DVD/RW: Liteon iHAS422-08
                          Sotrage: 2X Raid 0 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ TB
                          1X SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB
                          Case: Thermaltake Spedo.

At the end of the day it is the people you disturbed the most that counts.

Comment

Having read this information on this thread I was wondering if it is even worth flashing my EX58 extreme board from the F4 to the F7b version. What are the major improvements?

KM
                            Rig:

Comment

Yes, it is advised to use a new BIOS, I would use F7c if I was you or use one of the F6 Beta's or final.

They have fixed many issues, of course some are still in the works though. S3 sleep they have fixed, other minor issues, and added some things as far as memory timings and how you set your settings for each channel as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                                Yes, it is advised to use a new BIOS, I would use F7c if I was you or use one of the F6 Beta's or final.

They have fixed many issues, of course some are still in the works though. S3 sleep they have fixed, other minor issues, and added some things as far as memory timings and how you set your settings for each channel as well.
                                Roger that, I will follow the instructions posted in the begining of this tread.

KM
                                Rig:

Comment

Working...
                                X