e5200+g31m-s2l dual core not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e5200+g31m-s2l dual core not working

Hi i put together a new computer last Saturday.
    intel core 2 duo e5200 45nm 2.5ghz
    gigabyte g31m-s2l
    asus 512mb 9800GT
    W.D Sata 640gig
    2x2gig kingston pc6400
    coresair hx520

The problem im having is that the cpu is being run as a single core. I assumed it was just due to an outdated bios so i updated that to f6 however im still not being given the multicore option in the advanced features section. The motherboard is advertised as supporting 45nm processors on gigabytes website.

Cpu-z and realtemp both display it as 1 core and cpu-z wont show fsb or ram speed. I also cant set affinity of programs to differant cores in windows so im sure that it is running as a single core. the only hal that displays is also the standard computer hal but in windows instal it wont give me any other option (iv even tried a couple versions of windows to see if that was the problem.)

really hope its just some error on my part and easily fixable

Thanks from Tattered

Re: e5200+g31m-s2l dual core not working

Have you updated the BIOS? If not please do so, and DO NOT USE @BIOS. It does support your CPU, it just may not have the latest BIOS which supports the 45NM cpu and so it may be acting like this because of that. After you flash you will have to load optimized defaults, save and apply, and reboot and make any disk changes you need before starting windows. Since you have already installed windows you will have only two options to correct windows CPU thoughts about your CPU. You can either do a clean install again, or try uninstalling the CPU from device manager and reboot and let windows reinstall it, that will likely put in the correct driver, but it may not I am not so sure

I just found here that your CPU while being 45nm is not supported, but it may still work you will just need to try the latest BIOS. If it does not work then you will need to buy a new board and return that one as E5200 is not on the Supported CPU list, the new 45NM Quads are and most of the E8XXX serires just not the CPU you have chosen >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - CPU Support List - GA-G31M-S2L

Some boards support CPU's that are not listed as being supported, but not always. Same applies for BIOS versions some work with CPU's they do not say they work with. So you best bet is to try the latest F6 or F5 and see if a clean install will get your cores working. If not you will have to decide on a new board.

You should have looked before you bought, not offense meant there just reminding you before you buy a board again always go to check the CPU support list

Here is some Flashing with Qflash Info

Flashing, here is some info on using Qflash. You can use 3 things with Qflash.... USB Stick, Floppy, or FAT32 Partition on your disk >>>

What you should do is manually download the correct BIOS for your board model and board revision from Gigaabyte Site Below. Extract the BIOS file you need, the .F# << # Being BIOS number like .F11. Be sure to choose the correct Rev. It is printed on the board in the bottom corner under the PCI Slots.

Here is your BIOS page >>
    GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-G31M-S2L

The BIOS file you download is a EXE which is made just to extract to the Floppy drive or A: drive.

You can get the BIOS .Fxx (xx Being BIOS number and how the actual BIOS file extension will look) File out of this to flash with Qflash or DOS (DOS Flash files are also inside the Exe. by using winrar to extract the files.

Download Winrar Trial here (Scroll down to Winrar 3.71 and download) and then install and right click the BIOS exe file and choose extract here >>>
    WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files

Then you can either run any CD you have to get DOS loaded and use the files extracted. Or you can put them on a FAT32 USB drive and use Qflash. You may also make a new 1GB FAT32 partition on your disk if you like and keep BIOS files there as well.

To use USB you need Legacy Storage Detect Enabled in the Integrated Peripherals Page of the BIOS. You also need to leave the USB drive plugged in when you reboot to Qflash (Select "END" at bootup, or F8 Within the BIOS to enter Qflash)

Once inside Qflash you will be presented with Disks or Drives depending on what you have available, look thru each until you find your BIOS file and then flash it

Once you have flashed and rebooted back into the BIOS choose Load Optimized defaults and save and apply and reboot Back into the BIOS before you go into windows. You will need to set your hard drive settings again, especially do not try to load Windows if you are using a RAID setup without setting these settings again (Just have to say incase anyone is reading this for any board and is using RAID)

PLEASE DO NOT USE @BIOS!! << ANYONE READING THIS

Comment

thanks yea iv already flashed the bios a few times trying different versions. f5 f6 and f4. Currently the e5200 isnt on the cpu support list of any gigabyte motherboard however with the q8200 and the 7200 and the board saying supports 45nm processors as a key feature i figured my chances were pritty good but it seems iv lucked out for now. o well heres hoping they release a small bios update with support for it

update: looking around i can see people selling these as a combo on ebay so i can sea fair few people having problems in the future.

thanks for the detailed reply hopefully luck will be on my side
      Last edited by Tattered; 09-05-2008, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Ya, I would assume there will be a update for them in the future but just not sure when.

When you say you have flashed, after or before your last clean install?

If you have not done a clean install lately I would flash the latest first if you are not using F6 now. Then first try uninstalling the CPU Thru Device Manager and reboot and see if it is fixed, if not try a new clean install again.

Otherwise you may just have to use only the one core until a BIOS update is out, or get a new board if you can still RMA that one

I DO see it listed on the New Gigabyte P45/43 chipset boards, and the G45. Being as P35 was made last year, and has had plenty of BIOS updates and that has not been added into yours yet it may never be. Have you contacted Gigabyte for a Beta BIOS, they may have one for you so you should if you haven't.

If you want I can ask The Gigabyte Tech here if he knows anything about it, will send a email now maybe he will come here and post you a beta BIOS or at least let me know if they are working on it

*EDIT*

Email sent to Janus asking about info or beta BIOS for you

Hey, Got a ebay Item # so I can see one of those listings. I know alot of electronics sales are AS-IS (Like my own) so I doubt they would accept a return and may already know they do not work together.

Or they do and you just need a clean install after flahing the latest BIOS.

You do have at least SP2 installed and the latest updates or SP3 right? If not that may be why you are having the issue as well

Let me know if you want SP3 download link
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-05-2008, 12:52 AM. Reason: Email to Janus Sent

Comment

hmm ok il try reinstaling one more time. im still only getting the standard pc hal option and the multicore option isnt showing up in bios though so im quite sure that at this stage its not a compatible combination. i didnt buy through ebay but the supplier doesnt do rma for customer mistake and that is what this was (and im not dishonest enough to claim its faulty).

The ebay listing i saw before cgi.ebay.com.au/GIGABYTE-GA-G31M-S2L-INTEL-E5200-DUAL-CORE-2GB-265_W0QQitemZ190248542129QQihZ009QQcategoryZ111427 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L + INTEL E5200 DUAL CORE + 2GB $265 - eBay Socket 775, Motherboards, Components, Computers. (end time 11-Sep-08 08:29:39 AEST)[/url] was that.

Some people do seem to have had the combination work though or maybe they just havnt yet noticed. Im dissapointed but il just hope that the updated bios is released as it shouldnt be a big fix.

edit: please get back to me about the beta bios and thanks very much for all the effort :)
          Last edited by Tattered; 09-05-2008, 01:40 AM.

Comment

You have a Dual Core Option in your BIOS?? Or did you mean windows? I have seen some BIOS's that have core options, just not any Gigabyte ones recently is why I ask.

YA, I bet alot of people just dont notice, or you need a clean install?

When Janus Replies to me we well know for sure if it works together or not

Anytime, that is why I am here. I'll let you know what he says soon as he replies, or he may post here as well

Comment

I do see from a Google search that is USED to be listed as supported, but has been pulled from the list. Yes, even the google cache does not show it so it was pulled a while ago. So it sounds like they are aware of the issue likely >>>

Comment

the bios should have an option to enable multicore processors however this option is only avaliable when a cpu that is recognised as multicore is in place. in bios im not getting the option so i can only assume that its a bios issue. Glad to know that it was there at one stage so it will hopefully make a return.

im up to 3 installs of windows. the computer was a 100% new machine but the first windows install was with the origional bios so i wiped it again when i updated however il try again in a bit just to make sure even though im quite sure its at a bios level
                Last edited by Tattered; 09-05-2008, 02:07 AM.

Comment

I am gonna grab your manual, like I said I dont have a core option in any of my BIOS's and havent seen one for a while in a Gigabyte board (IF ever). It is just enabled by default if you have a Dual/Quad Core.

Now HyperThreading is in mine, and many others I have seen/used. But that is not the same as Dual/Quad Core so if that is what you mean then you may or may not have it, but would not need to set it anyway as you do not have a HyperThreading -MultiThreading Processor

Are you reading that in your manual, or just assuming that coming from a different manufacturer?

Comment

ok here is what it says should be in the advanced bios options

"CPU Multi-Threading*
                    Allows you to determine whether to enable all cpu cores and multi-threading function when useing an intel cpu that supports multi-threading technology. This feature only works for opertating systems that support multi processor mode

Enabled Enables all cpu cores and multi-threading capability (default)
                    Disabled Enables only one cpu core

note* This item is only present if you install a cu that supports this feature. for more information about itnel cpu's unique features please visit intels's website"

to me it seems that this being disabled would be a logical reason for the display of only one core as that is the listed effect. somthing thats also interesting is that cpu-z wont display the fsb and ram speed and realtemp and it only read the processor as 1 core (though the name is listed in cpu-z as a core 2 duo e5200
                    Last edited by Tattered; 09-05-2008, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Ahh I see in your manual Mutli-Threading, and of course thru translations they use the word core also in the description. I say I believe this is for Threading/HT and not Multi Cores because it is in mine and several other BIOS's I look at for HT to be enabled or disabled. And that is the only setting in your BIOS that would enable HT so I think no matter how that is worded it is meant for HT and not DC/QC CPU's

I believe that is ONLY for HT (HyperThreading - Multi-Threaded) CPU's, but either way It should be visible and set to disabled either way. It is in all of mine, and is disabled for the ones I do not have a HT CPU in

Let me know how the Clean install goes, and I will let ya know when Janus replies.

Hey, when you flash your BIOS you do load, save, and apply Optimized Defaults and reboot before going back into the BIOS to make changes right?

If not, please reflash and do this, it is required for the BIOS to fully and properly be loaded and detect the CPU correctly

RealTemp, did you click settings and enable the second core monitor? You do have to do that

CPU-z, What do you mean it shows only one core? I do not see a core entry in CPU-z. I do get you also said FSB and such is not shown, but cores? Where is that you think in CPU-z

Do you have the latest, 1.47 I think

Post some pics if you like
                      Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-05-2008, 02:37 AM.

Comment

my first assumption was that it was a windows based problem and as such i reinstalled windows and pressed f5 at setup to manually set the hal. however the only option im being given there (and i have tried 2 differnat versions of windows) was the standard pc i486 hal which does not support dual core cpus where it should give me the option to chose the acpi multicore hal iv also tried updating the system driver in the device manager but no luck. next i think il try How to enable Multiprocessor support in Windows XP as that would force windows to try and use it as a multicore processor so i would know for certain where the problem was based.

Comment

hmm well if thats for ht then at least it clears it up a bit.

if you look down the bottom of this pic you can see a bit that reads cores 2 threads 2. on my desktop this reads 1 and 1 the bus speed and rated fsb allong with the dram frequency also fail to show

Comment

What XP Disk do you have? If it is SP2 or above then you do not need nor do I suggest any F5 option. It will install it correctly

Please if you do have a XP disk with SP2 disk on it, do a clean normal install and see how it goes.

If you do not have a XP SP2 disk you will need to slipstream one if you cannot get the above link to help you before you do a clean install. From what I see in that Guide that is not said is, uninstalling the Processor or Item listed in MY Computer of device manager should reinstall it and the correct driver on a reboot

Comment

its a sp3 installation
                              short of alter the system files to force windows to treat it as a multicore i cant do anything. if i install it normally it installes it as a standard pc which is not multicore. if i press f5 the only option i get is the standard pc one and if i try to update the driver to a differant one while on this laptop i can change it from multicore acpi to standard pc i cant change it the other way around on the desktop. i think i will try and find those files so i can foce it to try and treat it as a multicore and mabe that will help

Comment

Working...
                              X