Help with OC to 9.5x400: E8500 on GA-EP35C-DS3R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with OC to 9.5x400: E8500 on GA-EP35C-DS3R

Lsdmeasap advised me to open a new thread for this subject, so here I go.

I'm a complete OC noob, but I don't like the idea either that my pc could be performing better than it currently does. Especially if the "upgrade" could be done for free...

I have a Core 2 Duo E8500 (2x3.16GHz) on a GA-EP35C-DS3R motherboard. Currently, it is clocked at its factory standard settings of 9.5x333=3.16GHz.

I'm thinking of raising the FSB to 400MHz whilst maintaining the multiplier of 9.5, thus creating a 9.5x400=3.8GHZ CPU. The 400MHz FSB would also be nice for my DDR2-800 RAM.

Here's the challenge: I'm looking for a "safe" OC, I do not necessarily need to get the maximum out of my CPU, and I'm definitely not looking for any stability issues. In that light, how "safe" is my idea of 9.5x400? And will I need to increase the Vcore setting as well? How much? And last, will my Arctic Freezer 7 Pro do the cooling without forcing it to run on maximum all the time?

My main system components in short:
    Intel E8500 dual core 3.16GHz
    Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
    Corsair PC6400 C5 2x2GB DDR2 SDRAM
    Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 Ultimate 512MB GDDR3, PCI-e 16x (GPU 668MHz, GDDR3 1656MHz, RAMDAC 2x400HMz)

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
    <!-- / message -->

Re: Help with OC to 9.5x400: E8500 on GA-EP35C-DS3R

Ok here is some settings for you to start with. I say start with because the ram settings will be ranges that you will set to the higher settings for now then lower one at a time and test after each move with memtest86+ >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

If you move more then one and do not test then you wont know which causes errors.

The CPU Vcore will maybe be higher then what is needed, maybe not depending on your cooling and your CPU Itself. Some need more some need less. Just keep a eye on your Core Temps with Realtemp or Coretemp programs and you will be fine. If it boots at what I give you for vcore, go back and lower it until it does not boot anymore. Then go back in and rasie it again a notch or two

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: [.5]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [400]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00] = 800MHz Ram
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time_______________5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12-15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________4-6 / 9-11
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 3-6
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 48-50 / 52-62
    Read to Precharge Delay__________3-6
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 << Leave on AUTO or Zero or 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] = 2.1V (Check your ram's sticker and set this to what it says, may or may not be 2.1. May be 1.9= +0.100V

PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] << For stability
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For stability
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +0.15V] << Needed fro 2x2GB ram
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.35] << as I said above, may need less, may need more

Good luck, and post back anytime with how you are getting along or if you need more help with things

Comment

Thank you very much for getting me started with this. I will certainly try your suggestions this weekend and keep you posted on my results!

Three more questions, sorry for all these questions...
      1. My memory modules are marked "5-5-5-18" so I suppose I should set the tRAS to 18 (as opposed to your 12-15)?
      2. When I look at your list:
      ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
      Rank Write to READ Delay________4-6 / 9-11
      Write to Precharge Delay_________ 3-6
      Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 48-50 / 52-62
      Read to Precharge Delay__________3-6
      Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10
      Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 << Leave on AUTO or Zero or 1-31
      I suppose that those are ranges I have to choose a value from and then test with memtest? If so, what value should I choose to start with and should I try them all? When do I know a setting is good and when not? Is there a single correct value for each setting?

Thanks a lot again!!
      Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008, 01:13 AM. Reason: RAM question added

Comment

Yes you can set it to 18, I posted that because I assumed they were tras of 15 and usually 12-15 will work ok as long as you are not to much overclocked. But yep, probably best to set 555-18 first

Yes those are ranges, start with the highest in All, then lower one at a time and test between each move with memtest86+. If you move more then one you wont know what causes errors.

Well the lowest for each is what you want to try for, so there is no "Best" setting, just as low as you can get them without errors.

You do not have to run FULL memests Every time you change one, just after several changes you think are stable I would run a full one. Between each single move I generally test with Test #2 and Test #5 for about half hour or so.

To choose a test #, if you are unsure >>>

1. First press C
        2. then 1
        3. then 3
        4. and finally select the test that you want to run
        5. press Enter
        6. and then 0 to get it running

You will be fine, it is not overclocking so much that would make them not work for you. They just either would or not. Most that have issues have tons of errors at stock, so I think you are fine anyway since you do not, or at least had not said that as of now

Good luck with your overclocking, and do not mind my ram comment so much if you are error free at stock settings and timings. I most often say that to people who have mas issues already, or are asking before they Buy (Which is smart) that way I say it in hopes my suggestions save them from later headaches
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much for your help, again! At this very moment, I am running my system at 3.8GHz!! You were spot on with your Vcore suggestion: 1.35V works like a charm, just one notch lower and it won't boot anymore
          I have not tweaked my RAM yet, I will get to that later.

After 15 minutes of stress testing with Orthos, my CPU temp is 62C for core #0 and 61C for core #1. The idle temp is a little over 40C. Is this normal or rather high?

Also, since I have overclocked the FSB from 333 to 400, should I start cooling my MCH now as well?

Comment

Superb to see you are in action without a flinch!

That is pretty good, and well withing acceptable temp range. What cooler are you using, and what paste? Did you put it on thin as you could? 1.35 may be a little high but like I said all chips are different. Mine does 4.2 at 1.325 Less sometimes. But I have seen others need more then 1.35 to even get to 3.6 so you are probably right and it is just the sweet spot for your CPU.

Did you see how much more that exact Voltage will allow you to get?

You can take you ram out of the equation to be sure it is not what makes you un bootable under 1.35 by setting all sub timings on Auto, and set main timings to 666-18 and set multi as low as you can or to auto and then try lowering the CPU volts. It could just be your ram timings that make it fail under 1.35, but not so much likely though.

Just a thought I would try to be sure

I always set my CPU up first, then when I have it stable get working on the ram

NB cooling up to you, is it too hot to touch for more then 10 seconds with your finger while you run Memtest86+? If so you may want to add a fan to it, get a aftermarket cooler like ThermalTake Extreme Spirit II, or at least redo the paste underneath the heatsink

Comment

My cooler is a Freezer 7 Pro from Arctic Cooling (link) and I use the standard paste that was already applied in a nice thin layer to the cooling surface.

I have not tried higher OC's, I'm happy with my 3.8GHz and I don't want to fry my CPU. I know, I'm chicken...

Also, since 9.5 is my CPU's maximum multiplier, I would need to further increase the FSB to OC some more. But since I'm now running it at 400MHz, it is perfectly in line with the stock settings of my 2x2GB DDR2-800 RAM (am I right here, 2x400=800?). That is also why I asked about addidtional RAM cooling. In the general OC topic, you write that every OC forces you to cool your MCH. And since I'm OC'ing, I figured that I might need to do that as well. But then again, my OC does not exceed the RAM stock settings, my RAM was designed for 800MHz, wasn't it? So that's what confused me and I would really appreciate if you could shed some more light on this MCH cooling issue.

I will try to further tweak my RAM later, but probably not until next weekend. Then, I will also try your suggestion to set all RAM settings to Auto, to see if I can lower my Vcore.

Thanks again!
              Last edited by Jamie74; 09-08-2008, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Na, not chicken at all. That is just being smart really

You could use 9 instead, but yeah FSB would go up either way. 1600 FSB isnt so high, I have ran mine at 2100, and normally have it at 1800-1900

Well you could to 850 or 900 and still keep 1:1 ratio with your ram. Na, no need for ram cooling unless you are using 2.2 or more volts.

Ram is rated to perform at 800 with the rated timings and speeds, that is just their guarantee. It by far does not mean that is the best it will do, and most good ram will do FAR more with looser timings. Example, I can run my 800 ram at 1000+ with the same voltages

Not all overclocks force you to cool your NB, it is only needed if it is too hot to touch for more then 10 seconds. Mine is 34-36C with just the normal heatpipe on it that came with my board @ 900 Mhz ram and 4.05GHz CPU speed @ 1800FSB.

I did however redo the paste when I got it, as I do with all my boards before they are even turned on. Case airflow helps alot as well.

How hot is your NB? Easytune will tell you, it is the system temp in Easytune

Comment

I'll let you know when I'm at home behind my own pc again, probably not until 9-10 hours from now. I'll stress-test for 10 minutes and then read the NB temp, is that OK?
                  I think I'll leave the FSB at 800MHz for now. It will be too much of a challenge for me to start playing with FSB and multiplier and RAM at the same time. Maybe in some years from now, when my pc needs another boost and when I'm a little less chicken ;-)

Comment

Yeah, that would be good. Let me know the idle temp of it as well. I think it is safe to say though, it is likely not too awful hot.

HAHAHA, it isnt too hard. The more you get in there and play the quicker you learn.

But I do hear ya, So ya let me see your temps if you are worried. I bet they are fine though so dont stress over it to much

Comment

After 18 minutes of stress testing with Orthos, I see the following temperatures:

CoreTemp 0.99.3 says: core #0 @ 56C, core #1 @ 55C
                      EasyTune 5 Pro says: system @ 38C, CPU @ 46C

Sorry, I forgot to write down the idle temp first, but I think I remember that according to CoreTemp they were somewhere between 35 en 40C.

I was wondering though how it is possible that my CPU as a whole is about 10C cooler than its individual cores? And how come my core temps were 6C higher last time I used Orthos, which was even for a shorter time? Makes me wonder how reliable all these measurements are...
                      Last edited by Jamie74; 09-09-2008, 02:26 AM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Comment

Re: Help with OC to 9.5x400: E8500 on GA-EP35C-DS3R and OCZ 1066 RAM

your suggestion to this are greatly appreciated as i am unsure of the implications of using the info posted here for 800 when using 1066 mhz ram 4gb and moving up to 8

as a side question using 800 and 1066 on the same setup is this okay? both ocz platinum's

thanks very much

Comment

Working...
                          X