X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD display & GA-V8VM800M: can't set resolution

System specs:

Sempron 2800+
    Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M Rev 2.x (BIOS "FF DB")
    Corsair 512MB DDR400
    Samsung 250GB HD
    Samsung DVDRW 16x
    350W PSU

I just bought a Widescreen 19" LCD display with native resolution of 1440x900 and I'm unable to set the correct resolution.

I have tried a number of different drivers versions without success. VIA claims the latest drivers (avaiable here: VIA Arena - Display Drivers) support 1440x900 resolution but if I can not set it up correctly then it might require a BIOS update.

After research users who had similar issue had to contact the motherboard manufacturer to check if a BIOS update that address this issue was avaiable or the manufacturers provided a "Service BIOS".

Gigabyte latest BIOS on download site is BIOS version "FD"

This motherboard was bought in Brazil and has a "localized" BIOS version version "FF DB" dated December 15th, 2005. The difference to other Gigabyte BIOSes I have seen is that this one has a language option between English and Portuguese but I don't know if it's older or newer than "FD".

I'm certain the motherboard is GA-K8VM800M Rev 2.x
    If BIOS "FD" can't fix this can you provide me a "Service BIOS" or "beta BIOS" having avaiable the 1440x900 resolution fix?

Thank you
    Last edited by Krohling; 02-21-2009, 10:08 PM.

Re: LCD display & GA-V8VM800M: can't set resolution

Hmm, well you can try FD I guess not sure, they both are made in Dec 05 so not sure if one would be better then the other though

I do not have access to any service BIOS, but as old as that board is I doubt there is any other ones then the ones listed on this page >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-K8VM800M (Rev 2.x)

Best thing I could suggest to you to try it to contact Gigabyte support directly and see if they can help >>>
    GIGABYTE

That board is so old you may not get much help with any manufacturer

I did find some VIA drivers for your board from 06, maybe they will be better? >>>
    GigaByte GA K8VM800M driver

I do see here in the BIOS FAQ that up to 1920x1440 is supported by that board >>>

GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - FAQ - GA-K8VM800M (Rev 2.x)

So maybe that last BIOS update listed above makes it work

Or you may just want to spend 20-30 for a 128MB Graphics card or less for a 64MB one. That would be pretty easy, and cheap

Good luck with things, and sorry I could not be of more help myself

Comment

Thanks

I opened a ticket with GGTS, let's see what they sugest when they read my message.

I'm not sure but I think the resolutions listed are for 4:3 and 5:4 displays.
      UniChrome IGP supports up to 1920x1440 so it should be able to do 1440x900, but I don't think widescreen displays were popular when this board was out so this resolution was "non-standard".

I have seen this happening with old motherboards, motherboard manufacturers released new BIOS updates with the IGP VGA video update included.

I'll try those drivers from '06

If nothing helps I'll look for an old AGP card, one positive side is that I'll be able to use DVI output instead of RGB. DVI looks better on LCD displays.

Comment

Ahh well that may be, I never noticed the ratio differences. Can you do anything close what you need? What is the max you can actually set

Yeah, you may end up having to get a old AGP, it would be easier and faster I would think. Or just grab a new cheap one, they are pretty cheap these days if you dont want much MB

Comment

The current max is 1600x1200 that I can set.

Just got response from GGTS and they sent me a beta BIOS that should give me the widescreen resolution. Will try it out.

Comment

Ahh nice, please post back and let us know. If it does work, can you please upload and post the BIOS for anyone who may have the same issue in the future

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X