• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P35C-DS3R - Memory problem?

... or is it a heating issue?

Hello!

I'll start from the beginning.

About a year ago I upgraded my computer with a new motherboard,
    a new processor (Intel E6850), 2 gigs of RAM Crucial Ballistix (2*1) 400Mhz.
    No overclocking on the processor (since i'm not an expert, but i want to learn ^^) I set the timings on the memory as specified, [email protected] (i discovered later it should be 2.0V, but CPUID says 2.2V?)

So far so good for almost a year, but for about 3-4 months ago i bought 2 more gigs of RAM, same brand and speed.
    I'm planning to upgrade(?) to Vista.
    And the memorys were cheap... :D

I believe everyting was fine for a month or so when the problems started, lots of programs crashed, got some BSOD.
    First i suspected software, but after one bluecreen i tested the memorys with memtest and it found a LOT of errors. I removed the memorys and tested one at the time and different banks, no problem found.
    Put the memorys back and the computer was fine again...

But no!

Just 1 or 2 days later it started again. I have to mention that the weather was very warm then and it was very hot in the room, so i suspected it might be an heating issue as well, i removed the, hm don't know the word, but the "plate" on the side of the computer...
    But no luck.

I tested the computer with Everest and one of the sensors (Temp3) ran high (60 degrees celcius) when stressing the computer with benchmark.
    And i got some error message saying, hardware fault something...
    Same thing with Orthos.

Then i tested 5-5-5-18 (I set everything on auto in Bios) on the memorys
    and then i was stable!? But why did it work before? Is there a problem with NorthBridge?

Any ideas?

Re: GA-P35C-DS3R - Memory problem?

Crucial Die OFTEN, with to much volts, not enough volts, ect. Everyday I see a new "3rd RMA on my Crucials" thread at various sites.

They USED to be the best, but by far are not anymore. << Just one users opinion of course, but you will have those when you ask such things

Your ram should have the rated voltage (Means Max warrantied, not Max amount needed for stock speed operation) written on a sticker on the side of the ram. If it is not you can look at the SPD programmed voltages in CPU-z, as you said, or Memset

And Crucial are widely known for not working in GA-P35 boards very well. So I would have to say that is your issue.

If you would like me to help you see if the ram is the issue I can give you some suggested manual settings for stock on your board. Please first test again though, one stick at a time with all setting at stock in the BIOS with memtest86+ 2.01 >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Then please load the settings you was using, if they are different into this template. I will post you back some 444-12 settings that should work fine, provided your ram is not dying and that your board is allowing the ram to be compatible (My opinion it is not with any GA-P35 board, some will disagree but I know what I know) >>>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Comment

Got **** that was fast!!! :D

Ok, my english isn't that good but from what I understand from you.
      You wan't me to reply the current configuration and the configuration i had when i was working? If so, it's easy, everything was on auto except:

CAS Latency Time________________ 4
      Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 4
      Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______4
      Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.200V]

And the rest was, as said before, on auto... Do you need the settings anyway?

The revision is 1.1 and bios F10

Now everything is auto, it's dimmed but it says 5-5-5-18 but i don't remember the rest.

edit: I was thinking, if i change the memory to another brand, which should I use?
      Last edited by Wipe; 09-03-2008, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Sorry about the late reply this time around, I was stuck in trying to help someone find their Cores! HAHA

YA, Let me see em anyway. But from what you say it sounds like you may just have some damaged Crucial. Auto usually is off a bit but with 2x1 it is not such a big deal. I would think your auto settings should have been fine

Can you test the ram on another board, if not use yours Use memtst86+ rev 2.01 linked above. And test them at stock speed/timings and voltages one by one

Since you asked I personally recommend Black or Blue Mushkin models. And then G.Skill or Geil after that. Mushkin and G.Skills are both pretty cheap right now if you can shop newegg you are in luck for sure

Comment

How about OCZ?

Comment

Do you ask because of budget or availability?
            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Or how about Mushkin DDR2 PC6400/800MHz CL5 2GB*2?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post

Do you ask because of budget or availability?
                Availability! Since our distributors dont supply those brands.
                But I found some Mushkin as mentioned.

edit:
                I found these, which should i use?
                Mushkin 4GB (2x2GB), EM2-6400, 5-5-5-12 138$
                Mushkin 4GB (2x2GB) XP2-6400, 4-4-4-12 160$
                Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008, 01:55 AM.

Comment

The XP models are Very nice! Em, wouldn't get it is a budget chip for building systems like you would use at school or work and such. Not for home overclockers I guess

Ya, those XP's are nice. Black Heatspreaders and overclock nice. Which Model is it? 996580? If so, that is what I am saving to get a hold of $116 here with 20 rebate

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                    The XP models are Very nice! Em, wouldn't get it is a budget chip for building systems like you would use at school or work and such. Not for home overclockers I guess

Ya, those XP's are nice. Black Heatspreaders and overclock nice. Which Model is it? 996580? If so, that is what I am saving to get a hold of $116 here with 20 rebate
                    Yes, 996580w, dont know the 'w' stands for, but what the heck, I don't care as long as they will work with my setup.

If I get them can you help me with the settings in bios to get them working as optimal as possible?

Comment

Yeap, sure can get ya all setup

Post a link for that, I have never seen a w on any of them. No letters on any of their models actually. I do see that in google though, so it may just be a overseas thing?

I do know the guy who posts alot of Mushkin reviews at Mushkin from Germany "Pushkin" reviewed then and I just found his page and it says >>>

The term "W" means that the Speicherset with the new color Heatspreader Arctic White from the frost-byte series daherkommt
                      Translated to english. Just a special Heatsink is all. So they will be white, not black is all

Comment

ROFL! I'm looking at the picture of them and it's true, why couldn't I think of that? :D

Nevermind, let's see how the finances are today ;)

Comment

Too bad you do not live in the US, you can custom order direct from Mushkin and get any color heatspreader you want. Out of what colors they sell of course.

Good luck on getting them, Hope to get me some soon! I may end up buying used ones on ebay so I dont have to save so long

Comment

I'm not sure if it's memory related, but here we go again.

Can the memory cause boot up problems?

Sometimes the computer doesn't bootup, everything winds up.
                            Fans and drives, but no picture and no beep from the MB?

I have to restart a couple of times and then it boots up as normal?

Comment

Yeah, sounds like you have some setting to low. How many times does it boot if you let it be? A double boot when making BIOS changes is normal, and triple boot anytime is not.

Comment

Working...
                              X