Gigabyte ga-ep45-ds3r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte ga-ep45-ds3r

My thread got to crowded but its okay :)

Recently I have suffered the greatest loss of them all. Well as I found a good deal on a computer case I went to uninstall everything and start moving to the new case (keep in mind I have liquid cooling). So the move went excellent so I thought

Something told me to check Liquid cooling before I installed it back into case however I couldn't wait to see how new case looked (bad mistake). So I go to turn on computer and 1st boot computer reset so I was like okay thats fine. 2nd time went into the bios to check and everything was fine (little did I know)! Opened up the case and I could hear something that seemed as if it was boiling

Yes at that time I started to think OH NO!!!!!!!!!!! Grabbed the screw driver and thought maybe I can catch this before it happens. Got all the screws off the CPU (except one and BAM!) a leak started to pour out! Was it too late? I think so my friends! While most of the liquid got on the mother board and the PSU I thought man just went everthing was perfect! So a recap Motherboard dead and PSU dead, Video card dead. Yes its a very sad day now. However on the good side went to BEST BUY and order new PSU so thats replaced, Motherboard (GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R) should be here in morning and video card as well. So I should be back in not time. However I just got a mini Typhoon CPU cooler (I scared of liquid now

But lesson learned and I think I will try another liquid cooling in a few days to see. I just wanted to thank LSD for all the help and don't worry I saved all my configurations of 3.60GHz, 3.40GHz, and 3.20GHz so next we will just work on tuning the memory so I'll give ya a break for 2 days as I will begin installing everything tomorrow (this time I will double check and take my time) so get some rest you will be called upon lol.

Thanks LSD for all your help.
    Last edited by Shauntx; 09-02-2008, 10:50 PM.

Re: Gigabyte ga-ep45-ds3r

Holy crap...you just put all my little computer problems into perspective!!
    Good luck!
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
    Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

Yeah at first it was a very sad day but again can't blame anyone but me for not testing the liquid system before I put it in right :) (rookie mistake that I can assure won't happen again)

But no fear system will be complete in 24 hours from now YAH!!!! I actually will have a liquid cooling system on standby this time if temps for 3.6 get too high. But this time I am ordering a northbridge cooling seeing that really that was the only thing that heats up for most. I can't wait to start building this. Who knows maybe the vdroop with new board will be less? lol

Also I already have the hard drives and things replaced got my new case up already just waiting for motherboard. I'm changing cases from the clear cheap case I had to the Antec Nine Hundred 9 Bay Mid Tower Gaming Chassis : 900. I can tell you from just buying this case I'm impressed! The case came with 7 HUGE fans! 1 very big fan up top. 2 fans in front 1 for memory. 1 vent fan (HUGE), 1 side fan and 1 other fan that I have yet to figure where it goes

Who knows if temps are really good at 3.6Ghz I might stick to this aftermarket air cooling system I got for backup incase my liquid cooling after went out.

One thing that I realized is that things happen TRIAL and ERROR some good some bad but we learn right? I guess I can tell you that these 500+ graphic cards should really be water proof LMAO!

Comment

Man, I wish I had your computer budget...
        Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition

Comment

computers for some reason have been my drugs of choice lol. Instead of going out and hanging out with friends I find myself most of time working on computers lol.

Comment

Gigabyte ga-ep45-ds3r

I have a quick question. I just got a aftermarket heat sink for the Northbridge now my question is to place this cooler on the Northbridge I remmove the pins from the orginal Northbridge cooler anyone do this yet?

Comment

Does anyone know what parameter in various apps is measuring the Northbridge temp? Is there a specific sensor there? Is this the "System" temp in EasyTune and "Temp1" in SpeedFan? Most of my other tools just measure core temps. My system always seems to show temps of around 41C for "System" in EasyTune and Temp1 in SpeedFan.

Comment

OUCH! What happened no clamps or what?

Yeah, I have replaced GA-965P and GA-P35-DS3 NB sinks many times. Same ones as P45 I believe, I always used a ThermalTake Extreme Spirit II, but I am sure yours will work. What is it anyway, just wondering.

All you do is flip the board over and CAREFULLY with needle nose pliers pinch the plastic pins together and they push thru towards the front. Then clean the "Cement" off the chip and replace with NON Conductive paste (There is bare connections under there)

Yeah, NB is "System" in EasyTune, "Motherboard" in Everest. Not sure about Speedfan, but if you compare the two I mention or just easytune with speedfan and it is the same you can just rename speedfans to NB if you like

Comment

SpeedFan has data from the 3 monitoring points provided to the IT8718F device (Temps 1, 2, & 3). I don't know where these thermistors are located on the mobo...maybe someone can find out. For me, idle conditions show Temp 1 at 41/42C constant and Temp 2 at 26-30C. Temp 3 shows nothing for me. If I go run around in Oblivion for a while, my Temp 1 stays absolutely flat at 41C, but my Temp 2 goes up to around 37C. Is this telling me that my Northbridge temps are dead flat, either at idle or under load? Temp 2 moves in relation to core temps, so I'm guessing this sensor must be in the mobo under the CPU socket.
                  Last edited by mxcrowe; 09-03-2008, 12:38 AM. Reason: stupidity

Comment

I always hated speedfan for that! I use and recommend everest, if you do not want it, or like it, or want to buy it cause the trial sucks at least you should use it in conjuntion with easytune to configure your speedfan

PC Wizard is free and can also help you tell which is which >>>
                    CPUID - PC Wizard

As for the exact locations.... I Dunno

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                      Then clean the "Cement" off the chip and replace with NON Conductive paste (There is bare connections under there)
                      Hey when you say non conductive paste do you mean like alcohol? and what should I use to clean it with? Q-tips?

Also everything on the liquid cooling was secure from clamps to holes however it seemed as if I got a defective part that leaked from the sided. All this happen on Monday :(

Also the NB cooler I got is the: XIGMATEK PTR-N881 HDT
                      also can be found: Newegg.com - XIGMATEK PTR-N881 HDT Northbridge Aluminum alloy Heatsinks only - Memory & Chipset Cooling

I have read that alot of people has had trouble putting on NB heatsinks? what kind of thermal paste should I use?

Comment

NO, I mean the thermal paste you will put under the new heatsink Like Arctic Silver 5 it is conductive, do not use that. You want NON Conductive Arctic Ceramic Paste or TX-2 or MX-2. I use Tx-2 for everything CPU and heatsinks

You should clean it with cotton or a tshirt, something soft. I use coffee filters because of less dust. And yes you can use alcohol, but arctic Clean is recommended

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                          NO, I mean the thermal paste you will put under the new heatsink Like Arctic Silver 5 it is conductive, do not use that. You want NON Conductive Arctic Ceramic Paste or TX-2 or MX-2. I use Tx-2 for everything CPU and heatsinks

You should clean it with cotton or a tshirt, something soft. I use coffee filters because of less dust. And yes you can use alcohol, but arctic Clean is recommended

Ok got ya I looked up the one that you suggested and saw it online:

Thermaltake CL-C0034

I guess I will order that one because it looks easier to install unless you think the one I order will be as good? Also it does come with Thermal Grease so I assume that will be okay to use. How easy was it to install this cooler?
                          Last edited by Shauntx; 09-03-2008, 07:40 AM.

Comment

I have never used that Xigmatek one, but I hear it is good. Dont know how hard it is to install. Probably just as easy from the looks of it.

Ya, that is the one I use often Extreme Spirit II. Very simple to install

The included paste? I dunno I throw all included pastes away from everything I get. I use TX-2 on everything, works great and is NON Conductive, and better then Arctic Silver 5 I think. I would be concerned about that as well, it may have metals in it. Best to get some Arctic Silver Ceramic, MX-2 or TX-2 to be on the safe side as there is bare pins under there.

BE SURE YOU USE THE INLCUDED WASHER/GASKETS so you do not Crack your NB Chip. It is a Bare silicon chip under there if you have not seen it yet.

Very shiny and fragile

Comment

Okay great information :)

Now when cleaning this chip is this chip come off? I'm gonna go to Altex today and see if they have any TX-2.

Comment

Working...
                              X