• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP31-DS3L usb problem

I recently acquired a Gigabyte MB: GA-EP31-DS3L, rev 1.0, bios F4;
    Rest of the config:
    - Intel E6600; 2x2GB Adata 800Mhz, GF 8600GT, Sirtec 500W

The problem I started facing from the begining was the system did not boot randomly, meaning that it jammed at "Memory testing" (on the screen only "Memory Tes" appeared). I want to point out that the memory is fine since I also tried with 2x1GB Corsair memory.
    Other times the video would not start.
    When the system did finally boot after several restart and it would load into Windows than when I entered a usb-stick into a usb port Windows warned me that it will only work at usb 1.1 and that I should plug it into a usb2.0 port. (used front panel, rear one and the ones which are right on the MB).
    Not knowing what the problem was, I was lucky to try using a PS2 mouse. ALL the boot problems disappeared, only the USB1.1 remained. I want to point out that USB 2.0 is enabled and also USB legacy in BIOS. In Windows the drivers are also enabled.
    Even if sometimes it boots with the usb mouse plugged in, it still takes a longer time to complete memory checking and so on.

Is there any way to fix these problem or is this a faulty motherboard?

Thank you.

Re: GA-EP31-DS3L usb problem

Did you get this new or used? Just ask because of how you said "Acquired"

2x2 will need some manual BIOS settings changed if you have not done this you will need to.

Mainly Refresh to ACT will need to be set to 52-62, and MCH voltage will need +0.1V-0.2V added

You should disable Legacy USB Storage Detect if you are not using a External Hard Drive, this setting will not affect your presented issues

USB Controller and USB 2.0 should be enabled in the BIOS (Just making sure)

Do you have the latest Intel Chipset Package installed? If not please install this and see if it helps >>>>
    Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters

Have you ran Memtest86+ on these sticks at stock o be sure they are not DOA? it happens, but you may be fine once you set the above things.

Are you using RAID or AHCI? AHCI can cause a slow boot, so that is why I asked that

Comment

Sorry for the "Acquired" part. I meant "bought" so it's new.
      -I did play around bios a little but I am not aware of "Refresh to ACT will need to be set to 52-62". where is this setting exactly. I will add +0.1 to MCH. (left it to default)
      - I am not using an external hdd so I'll be sure to disable legacy usb
      - usb controller and 2.0 are enabled
      - yes, the chipset driver is installed
      - About the DDR, like I said I tried using 2x1GB of Corsair, which were previously tested and used without any problems for 6 months, so I've excluded the ram as the problem
      - I am not using raid/ahci since the MB does not support them (ICH7)

Normaly when Windows is running slow or something I blame the operating system but the problem is I dont get that far, and all the jamming appears when a usb mouse/ stick are connected.

Thank you.
      Last edited by BW.; 09-01-2008, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Refresh to Act is on the same page as MCH voltage, The MIT section of the BIOS.

If you do not see advanced memory timings in there, then your BIOS must still have the hotkey enabled. So, you will need to on the MAIN Page of the BIOS hit the hotkeys. Press Control + F1 on the MAIN page, the screen will flash quickly, then go into MIT section and you will see all hidden settings (This also will show all hidden settings in all sections)

So you mean same issues with both rams then eh?

Does your mouse come with a driver? Some do, some dont. This is likely not the answer as you also say USB stick does the same

Taking a long time to complete the initial memory scan can and often does mean ram error. That can be Incompatible ram or just ram errors. Just because you have tried 2 sets with the same results does not mean they are both or either fine, or compatible.

Can you please test these sticks in another board, or your board one by one with memtest86+ to be sure they are ok >>>
        Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

I have seen a few issues lately with ADATA and GA-P45 boards, so hopefully for you this is not going to be a similar case. I have seen many that work fine though, but I always suggest on day one to test all new ram with memtest, DOA happens with all brands and does not always mean DEAD outright.

Please when you get a chance, post to me all settings you see in the MIT section and I will see if I see any other memory settings that could be off or wrong. I am leaving here in a sec, but will be back tomorrow 4 sure >>>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people there settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
        CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
        CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
        CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
        PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
        C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
        System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
        DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
        Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
        Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
        Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?
        ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
        Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
        Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
        Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
        Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
        Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
        Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
        DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
        PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
        FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
        (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
        CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

If you do not want to write all that down, you can post me pics if you like. I would like to see a pic of your Advanced BIOS page so I can see your disk settings as far as what modes you have your disk controllers set to. Ya, I forgot about P31 not having the ICH9
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008, 02:20 AM.

Comment

I will post them later, I am at work right now. I am looking foreward for your response. Thank you for your prompt replies.

Comment

Anytime, I am here to help... When I can!

I will see you later today, I am outta here for the night

Comment

Ok, I tried the memory stick at another friends PC and it seems it might be faulty. Its wierd that just last weekt it was ok. Anyway, when I used my iPhone it appeared as 2.0.
              I've switched the mouse to PS2, for it will still load slower when using a usb mouse.

I've tried a little OC on my E6600 yesterday, but I was unable to reach not even 3Ghz, FSB300 was ok, but not 310. I' boosed ram, CPU and mch voltage but with no luck. Haven't changed FSB voltage for I am unaware of what id does. (please explain if you may)
              Another question is: when I raise the frequency the FSB goes x4, meaning over 1200. Is there any way to change the x4 to x3 like I used to do when I had AMB processor?
              And another one: in the manual it says I should have an "Enable FSB 1600" function in MIT in bios, but it seems mine doesnt. Do I need a special CPU to use this function?

Thanks.

Comment

Ahh well you should wait until you get a set of working ram for your overclocking then.

FSb voltage is not likley needed until after 400-450 or so FSB. And no, Intel will always be (For now anyway) 4 X FSB = CPU voltage, Quad Pumped

Post a pic of that, there should not be any "Setting" to enable 1600 FSB.

Your CPU will do it though, just set 401 as your FSB freq, that is 1604 FSB. You may have to use 8 As your CPU mutli though so you would be at 3.2 and not 3.6. #.6 is not doable with all chips and for sure would take some more tweaking and cooling. 3.2 would be easier for sure. Have you read the pinned guides I posted?

If you can, please post the settings you are using in the above template that fail and I can better help you. Along with full specs. If you only have one stick of ram, it is best to wait until you have 2, but yes you can overclock with one it just may or may not go as well

Comment

Sorry, for the missunderstanding, I meant that the USB memory stick that was recognised as 1.1 appears to be faulty, not the ram. That one is ok, and it's epp is [email protected].
                  I tried to leave most of the settings to default, just bumped the voldages a little (+0.1) but like I said the PC would not boot with FSB over 310...

Edit: The FSB 1600 setting I was telling you about is documented in the manual, it is described as an enabled/disabled setting.
                  Last edited by BW.; 09-02-2008, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Ahh ok about the USB stick

Ahh, I see it in your manual. Well if you ever want to go above 400 FSB then you would need to enable this setting

Here try this for 2.8 for now, for SURE should boot >>>

Be sure to Disable EIST and C1E in the Advanced BIOS page

CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [350]
                    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.40] = 840MHz Ram speed

CAS Latency Time________________ 4
                    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 4
                    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______4
                    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________12

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 4
                    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 4
                    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 6
                    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 60
                    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 5
                    Static tRead Value_______________ 8
                    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 << Leave on Auto or Zero or 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] = 2.1V
                    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] << For stability
                    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For stability
                    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V] << May only need .1 or 1.5 but set to for testing now .2
                    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.35] << this can come down for sure, just wanted to set you somewhere where it should for sure boot. So you can see 310 is not your limit

Hey, if you are not seeing alot of things I list or show then please use the Enable Hidden Setting Hotkey. Some older GA boards and BIOS's hide things. You must go on the MAIN Page of the BIOS and hit Control + F1 then the screen will flash and all hidden settings will then be shown in all sections

Comment

I've enabled advanced settings in bios. Most of the setting you wroter were the same as mine, except I didn't overvolt the videocard. (I try to stay away from that)
                      PS: At memory multiplier I only have: Auto, 2.5, 3, 3.5, etc.

Comment

Ok then 2.4 must not be available until after 400FSB.

Your ram will run more then 800 so you can try all I suggested but make these changes for now >>>

CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [350]
                        System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.50] = 875MHz Ram speed

CAS Latency Time________________ 5 (4 may work but set 5 for now, we can set/test 4 later with some other timings and Memtest86+) You can try it now, but it may not boot at 875, 5 will be just as good at that speed

Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 4
                        Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______4
                        Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________12 << may need 15 as well as the above 5

Then later I can help you get your voltages down, I just suggested you raise them a bit for no since you said you were having problems.

The above should boot for you fine, along with all other suggested settings on page 1.

If you would give me a idea of where you think you may want to keep or use your CPU at I can make some better suggested ranges for you, and then help you get things tightened up and voltages brought down as well

Comment

I've set the ratio at 6 just to be sure.
                          Vcore was default, Vdimm @ 2.05 and MCH +0.1.

At FSB340 it as ok, at FSB350 it wouldnt boot. (and it was under stock speed because of the 6x multiplier). The problem is that when the multiplier is at 9x it wont take anything above. Any ideas?

Comment

Does this ram pass memtest86+ at stock settings? You should have no issues with cpu multi so low unless you are not giving the cpu enough voltage (Which I doubt at that low mutli) or your ram is dead/dying

Comment

Hi.
                              i ve gt exactly the same probleme ...
                              USB work fine in 1.1 mode ..
                              But exacly like you doesnt if usb2 is selected in bios or if a keyboard and mouse are plugged

same motherboard but F5a bios ...

please help

Comment

Working...
                              X