GA-P35C keeps power cycling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P35C keeps power cycling

I have a GA-P35C that I've used as a server (gentoo Linux) for 6 months or so. Yesterday I started to get random application crashes. I took the machine down. Checked the BIOS (CPU temp was 41C and all fans running). But it would not boot from my Memtest86+ CD. I left it for some hours and when I power it up now the fans and lights are on for a second. Then it powers off, and back on again for endless cycles. Any suggestions where I should start?

Thanks

Re: GA-P35C keeps power cycling

See if you can get into the BIOS with only one stick of ram in slot one

Please post your full specs when you post back... Thanks

Comment

Thank you for your rapid response! I can get into BIOS with only one DIMM in slot one.

Here's the full spec:

* Gigabyte P35C-DS3R Rev 2.1
      * Intel Core Duo E8400 3GHz
      * 4X Corsair CM2x1024-8500C5D, XMS2-8500 1024MB 1066MHz 5-5-5-5-15 2.2V, ver 1.2 0860023
      * Corsair Dominator memory FAN
      * Chill Innovation CP-520A4 520W PSU
      * Zalman CNPS8700 NT CPU Cooler
      * Creative 3D Blaster Banshee CT6760 PCI graphics card
      * 4X Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 750GB SATA disks (sitting in a 3-bay enclosure with a thermal alarm)
      * Samsung SH-S203D DVD/CD
      * Lian Li PC-650B

I don't do any overclocking. I got the RAM timings from a Corsair rep (since the default BIOS timing did not work). I ran Memtest86+ for 24 hours or so when I got the machine initially. Since then I've used it as a headless server. I do run some typical software development applications on it remotely (over X11).

Could it be a faulty memory, or some BIOS settings which got changed for some unknown reason? Hopefully the fault did not corrupt my data (I'm running software RAID-5 one the machine).

Comment

BTW, here's the RAM timings I've been using:

Quad2X4096-8500C5FG & Gigabyte P35C-DS3R memtest86+ errors - The Corsair Support Forums?

Comment

Memory module 1 and 2 will both pass memtest86+ when inserted in slot 1. Memory module 3 and 4 will only get into the power cycle loop when inserted in slot 1. Does this mean that memory module 3 and 4 are at fault?

Comment

Well from what you said last It DOES sound like stick 3+4 are bad. Are you testing them all one by one in slot one? If so then yeah, sounds like those tow went bad then

Although I do see a incorrect setting for sure at that link, for 4GB you will need Refresh to Act set to 52-62

CAS4 is better then CAS5 the sticks are 8500 and should run that

I think if your 3+4 sticks were not dead then I could help you get them to 8500 no problems, but since they seem dead I guess we are out of luck there

I know and have setup many systems with 4x1 and 2x2 and 8GB as well at 8500 speeds just fine (Although 8GB is a bit harder, 4GB will do 8500 no problems once setup properly)

This is what I suggest for 4x1 and 2x2 at 8500 for your CPU Settings posted at the above link >>>>

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
            CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
            CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
            CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
            PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
            C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
            System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [3.20] = 1065MHz
            DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
            Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
            Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
            Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
            Rank Write to READ Delay________ 4-6 (9-12)
            Write to Precharge Delay_________ 3-5 (9-14)
            Refresh to ACT Delay______________ (48-50) 52-62
            Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-6
            Static tRead Value_______________ 7-12
            Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 << Leave in AUTO or Set to Zero or 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
            DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
            PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] << For stability
            FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For stability
            (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - 0.15V - 0.2V] Start at +0.2 and work down later

If you need help with settings for your 2 good sticks then post back and let me know and I can help
            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your extensive reply.

Yes, memory module 3 and 4 failed when they were inserted one by one in slot 1. Memory module 1 and 2 both passed.

I've filed a request for RMA at Corsair. I'm running memory module 1 and 2 together now. I've used the default failsafe settings for now.

I'll check some of the local web-shops for Mushkin...

Again, thank you for your help.

Comment

Anytime, sorry to hear that you have some dead sticks. It happens.

I am glad you tested first thing so you did not give yourself a headache trying to get things to work! Very smart!
                Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X