Help: E8400 + GA-EP35-DS3R BIOS settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: E8400 + GA-EP35-DS3R BIOS settings

This weekend I'll be building a new computer. I've built computers before, but I've always just left all the BIOS settings on auto. I'm not interested in overclocking at this time (maybe later), but I do want to get all the settings right so that I can get the most out of my equipment at stock speeds.

I've read Lsdmeasap's guides on overclocking and memory timings, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how much of that stuff should be ignored when not overclocking. I'd appreciate any advice on how I can optimize my BIOS settings without overclocking.

Here is what I'll be building:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz Mobo: GA-EP35-DS3R rev 2.1
    Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    Video Card: ASUS EAH3450/DI/256M Radeon HD 3450 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Video Card
    Hard Drives: WD SE16 640GB, two Seagate 750GB drives in RAID0

Thanks
    Last edited by fenningenarius; 08-29-2008, 11:53 AM. Reason: formatting

Re: Help: E8400 + GA-EP35-DS3R BIOS settings

Well when not overclocking, but wanting the best Stock performance the thing you can do is try to tweak the memory to the best timings your ram can use.

Once you get setup, try this for your settings. Stock CPU and RAM speeds, timings for ram will be ranges. You will set to highest shown then later when you have time lower them ONE AT A TIME using Memtest86+ between each move. If you do not test between each move, or move more then one setting at a time you will never know what is causing errors

You will however have to choose a off ram setting, as your ram is 1000MHz and the only "Stock" choices you have if you leave CPU on default will be 800 or 1066. But 1066 is not much over 1000 so you should be fine there, I will put it as that in the below settings

Bolded Items are Important

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [3.20] = 1065 Ram Freq (3.2 X 333 FSB)
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15

These are the ranges I spoke of above. Set to highest until you are ready to optimize them

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3-5 (9-11)
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 3-6
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ (48-50) 52-62
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-6
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10 (Effects Performance the most)
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 << Always Leave on Auto or Zero or 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] = 2.1V
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] << For stability
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For stability
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +0.15V] << needed for 2x2GB ram

Comment

Thank you so much for your help. I just got everything put together in my case and I'm about to install Vista.

I probably won't have the time to play with the memory timings until either tomorrow or Sunday, but I will post in this thread once I've had time to play around with these settings.

Thanks again for your help. It's much appreciated.

Comment

Anytime, remember tweaking memory is not something you will do in a few minutes. To ge the best takes time and many trials. So just dont get frustrated

Good luck, and post back anytime

Vista, if you are planning to install SP1. Please do so RIGHT AFTER you install the system BEFORE any drivers or vista updates, this includes motherboard or chipset drivers.

Don't install any of that until you have installed SP1 or it will FAIL. Here is SP1 if you need it >>>

All languages
        Download details: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 All Language Standalone (KB936330)

5 Languages
        Download details: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone (KB936330)

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          Anytime, remember tweaking memory is not something you will do in a few minutes. To ge the best takes time and many trials. So just dont get frustrated

Good luck, and post back anytime

Vista, if you are planning to install SP1. Please do so RIGHT AFTER you install the system BEFORE any drivers or vista updates, this includes motherboard or chipset drivers.

Don't install any of that until you have installed SP1 or it will FAIL. Here is SP1 if you need it >>>

All languages
          Download details: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 All Language Standalone (KB936330)

5 Languages
          Download details: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone (KB936330)

Uh no absolutely not. I did that and wound up reinstalling vista. Apparently there is a prerequisite update you need before you update to sp1. What worked for me was installing Vista and hitting the update until only the driver updates i didn't want to do were left.. It took about three days of updating for the Sp1 window update window finally appeared.
          Mobo: ASrock Z77 Exteme4
          CPU: i5-3570K 4.2G
          CPU Heatsink : Hyper 212 EVO
          RAM: Ripjaw F3-12800CL9-4GBRL 2x4GB
          GFX: MSI GTX650
          PSU: Lepa 500W
          SSD: PNY XLR8 240GB (C:)
          SSD: OCZ Agiliity 3 240GB (refurb)
          Storage: Seagate 7200.12 1TB
          Storage: Seagate 7200.12 500GB

Comment

Well ya, the only thing you need is The actual Windows Installer updated to 4.5, then SP1 will install. Sorry I did not mention that, I forgot until you said something.

That update (Incase anyone else reads and uses this info) is here >>>
            Download details: Windows Installer 4.5

Comment

My copy of Vista had SP1 already on the disc, so I didn't have to worry about any of that.

I've got Vista installed now and I've also updated my BIOS to the newest version (f3).

I changed my BIOS settings to reflect the values you posted and then began testing the memory timings with Memtest+86. So far I've set "Act to Act Delay (tRRD)" to 3 and "Write to Precharge Delay" to 3, both without any errors in Memtest. I did this by setting tRRD to 4, runing test #2 for 10 minutes in Memtest86+, and then running test #5 for an hour, confirming in each that the number in the "errors" column continued to show "0" the entire time. Then I set tRRD to 3, and achieved the same error-free results in both tests. For "Write to Precharge Delay" I did the same thing, but tested 6 first, then 5, then 4, and then 3, with no errors in any of the tests.

Is that the correct way to proceed with the rest of the tests? (i.e., start with the highest value in the range, test each value with tests #2 & #5, lowering by one after each successful test and then changing back to the lowest error-free value after any tests which produce errors?) These might be rather dumb questions, but I want to be sure I'm doing this correctly.

I also have a few other questions. For two of the timings, you posted one range of values and another range of values in parentheses. I assume that means that the values on the left side will be what I set in BIOS and the values on the right side will be what Memset shows me in my OS?

Also, is it bad for my hardware to run these Memtest86+ tests for hours at a time if I happen to be testing values which produce errors? For instance, if I start a test just before I leave the house for a few hours, will it be harmful to leave it running like that for a few hours while it racks up errors until I get home?

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

That isexactly how I do my testing, so you may have read me write that method somehere?

After I change several I will let a full test run sometimes as well

No, the ranges I set in Parentheses can both be used. Some boards/ram will run better with 3-5 and other will run better at 9-11. Both ranges should be stable

That is something you want to test for bandwidth performance to see which is better.

And yes Memset will show +7 added to what you set. Getting 11 is the optimal setting in windows/memset for alot of ram which is 4 in the BIOS. But some ram performs differently so you can/should try either range and run some benchmarks.

No, it is not bad for your system as long as your temps are good. Now if your CPU fan quits while you are gone your PC will be shut down when you get home!!!

But no, all is good testing like that. I have left Orthos running with my CPU at 4.3 and Ram at 1075 for 24Hours before.

It will only hurt something that is dying or broke, or If you have to much volts pumped into something it could cause problems. But that would likely not be true because if you watch your temps you would already know if something had to much voltages

It can however hurt your Power Bill if you do it 24/7

Comment

OK, thanks. My temps should be fine I think. I've been checking them periodically between tests and the CPU has been around 40 according to Core Temp and 35 according to the BIOS. The BIOS shows the system temp to be around 45-47.

No, the ranges I set in Parentheses can both be used. Some boards/ram will run better with 3-5 and other will run better at 9-11. Both ranges should be stable

That is something you want to test for bandwidth performance to see which is better.
                  How would I go about testing for bandwidth performance?

Comment

Well for a "Generic" look at it you can see bandwidth listed in Memtest86+ towards the upper left

But for a Better answer you will need Everest or SiSoftware Sandra, I think PCWizard may also have some tests.

I use Everest Ultimate and SiSoftware Sandra But Everest the Most. You can get a Trial here, although it wont show you all of the test results you can see a few until you buy it >>>
                    Lavalys - Comprehensive IT Security and Management

Here is a example of what the PAID version will show you, should you wonder what you are missing >>>

PCMark05 by Futuremark is also another good one to look into, avail below

SiSandra Trial is here, lots of benchmarks included in it. Not sure how the trial is though I paid for it >>>

Here are some free ones (Some are for testing other things such as GFX For ram I would recommended the above suggestions )>>>

Comment

I haven't had time yet to look into either of the programs you recommended for bandwidth testing, but I've finished initial testing of each of the ranges you posted earlier with good results.

The only timing that gave me errors was when I set tRFC to 49, so I bumped it back to 50.

Here are my current settings:

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3
                      Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3
                      Write to Precharge Delay_________ 3
                      Refresh to ACT Delay______________50
                      Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3
                      Static tRead Value_______________ 7
                      Static tRead Phase Adjust________ auto

I'm going to let Memtest86+ run overnight tonight and see how it does.

Comment

Superb! Looks like you should be getting good results when you do get around to doing some tests. If stable those are very nice settings!

Good luck, and remember it does not happen in a day or two. You will get it, it just takes some patience

Comment

Memtest ran for about 13 hours before reporting any errors. Do you have any advice on which settings to start changing first?

Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

13 hours is a good long run.

If you want to try for 24 I would start by raising just these >>>
                            Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3 << maybe 5
                            Write to Precharge Delay_________ 3 << maybe 4

Comment

So is 13 hours possibly acceptable then? I was under the impression any errors at all would be unacceptable, but I'm just learning about all of this.

Comment

Working...
                              X