GA-X48-DQ6 Memory issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X48-DQ6 Memory issues

I have issues with all 4 memory slots being occupied on this motherboard. The board is capable of 8 GB of RAM.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    When the first 2 memory slots are utilized, the computer boots as normal, regardless of which of the four memory modules I use; however when all four slots have memory modules inserted, the computer will power up for a second or so and then trip. This power up down will continue till I switch off from the power supply's power switch.
    All 4 memory modules that I bought has been proven to work since I swapped them one at a time in the first 2 slots.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I did not and do not overclock, even with my previous motherboard.<o:p></o:p>
    The below specified power supply is the second power supply that I bought to eliminate the power supply as the issue.<o:p></o:p>
    The BIOS was upgraded to F7, problem still persist.<o:p></o:p>
    Running all BIOS settings in "AUTO" mode does not help. Load Optimized mode does not help. Basically I doubt if the BIOS is even accessed.<o:p></o:p>
    Once again memory in slots 1 & 2 work ok, but memory in slots 1, 2, 3 & 4 does not. Memory only in slots 3 & 4 does not work either.<o:p></o:p>
    The memory runs in single channel only, not dual channel. If you place the memory in slot 1 and slot 3, as per the manual, the computer exhibits the above symptoms.<o:p></o:p>
    Unplugging all expansion boards and all hard drives is no joy with all memory slots filled, but seem to power up ok with memory slots 1 & 2.<o:p></o:p>
    So the summary is:<o:p></o:p>
    1. The computer boots with only slots 1 & 2 with memory.<o:p></o:p>
    2. Have replaced memory in slots 1 & 2 with all 4 sticks to prove that they are good.<o:p></o:p>
    3. Have replaced the power supply.<o:p></o:p>
    4. Have replaced the motherboard.<o:p></o:p>
    Motherboard: GA-X48-DQ6 rel 1.3<o:p></o:p>
    BIOS: AWARD BIOS, X48-DQ6 F7, Flash Memory Type MXIC 25L8005, Default setting except for the boot order, date & time.<o:p></o:p>
    Memory: MUSHKIN 4ea(2x2GB) DDR2, Part number 996587, HP2-6400, 5-4-4-12, 1.8V - 2.1V<o:p></o:p>
    Power Supply: ANTEC Earthwatts, 650 watt, part number EA-650.<o:p></o:p>
    CPU: INTEL Core 2 Quad, part number Q9450.<o:p></o:p>
    Video: ASUS EAH4850 HDMI - 512 MB DDR3.<o:p></o:p>
    Thanks in advance for the help!!<o:p></o:p>

Re: GA-X48-DQ6 Memory issues

Can you load the BIOS with all 4 sticks in or not?

If not, then you need to make some changes with 2 in then shut down and put in the other 2

AUTO is not good even for half the ram you have. 2x2GB needs some manual adjustments. 4x2GB will need even more

I would suggest you put in 2 sticks in dual channel and go into the BIOS and enter these settings, then shut down and put in the other 2 remaining sticks and reboot and see if it is ok then >>>>

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.40] = 799MHz ram
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 18

These will be ranges for you to try later once you get booted up. You can also try AUTO for now first if you like, but please manually set Refresh To Act at least

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ (3-5) << Try 6 for now
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ (9-11) <<< Try 14 for now
    Write to Precharge Delay_________(3-5/6) <<< Try 12-14 now
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ (52-62) <<< Try 65-70 for now
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-6 << Set to 6 for now
    Static tRead Value_______________ (7-10) Enter 12 for now
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 << Leave on AUTO or Zero Or 1-31

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal] <<< Try 100ps
    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal] <<< Try adding 100-200ps

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] =2.1V
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] << For Stability
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For Stability
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.3V] << For Stability with 2x2 you need +.15 -.2. 8GB may need .3 or more but it is FOR SURE GOING TO NEED at least +0.2V

Comment

Thanks for the "GA-x48-DQ6 Memory issues" tip, Lsdmeasap!

Unfortunately it does not help. I cannot even get the memory running in Dual Channel. This was a problem with the board I had replaced and the current one.

Memory in slot:

1 & 2 = Computer works.
      3 & 4 = Computer trips power within a few seconds before BIOS displays on screen!
      1 & 3 = Computer trips power within a few seconds before BIOS displays on screen!
      2 & 4 = Computer trips power within a few seconds before BIOS displays on screen!

Thanks!

Comment

Are you SURE each stick is good? I would test one by one with memtest86+

Comment

Hello and thanks!
          I used memtest86+ on all 4 sticks and they passsed the test.

Are there any known memory out there that will allow me to run with 8 GIGs?

Thanks!!

Comment

Mushkin, Will for sure

Sounds like you need some settings adjusted which the above should work, or you may have a BAD slot on your board. Can you test again with one stick, this time in each slot to see if you maybe have a bad slot?

Comment

Hello,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
              Just wanted to let you know that I have done what you have indicated to me. I do have bad slots 3 & 4.<o:p></o:p>
              I guess I will get to see how Gigabyte handles warranty work as compared to compared to NewEgg's return policy?! I cannot afford to take my system down for any length of time greater than few hours.<o:p></o:p>
              Thanks Lsdmeasap, for the shooting help!!<o:p></o:p>

Comment

Good luck with your RMA, and please let us know your experience. Like how long it takes and where you had to ship to and such.

Thanks, and sorry to hear about the bad slots. Keep us posted on what happens

Comment

Working...
                X