Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-EP35-DS3L 1 second power up, nothing else??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP35-DS3L 1 second power up, nothing else??

OK, this has me stumped. First Gigabyte board, I'm not happy.

Basicly the mobo will power up for one second, and then power down. This is repeatable. Now the ODD: If I leave the ATX_12volt 4-pin cable unplugged it will stay on, but you can't soft power it down or anything.

I've tried two different power suppplies, starting up out of the case, in the case, in another case w/ different PSU, different heatsink and fan (first WAS seated squarely and properly), I even tried with no memory in the slots - still one second power up, shuts down. No beeps, nothing. In fact, I don't even think it powers up for a second, more like half.

I really needed this to work tonight for a gift for someone this weekend, but obviously that won't happen. This isn't the first PC I have built by far but it is my first Gigabyte motherboard. Help?

Other facts: E1200 dual core Celeron, G.Skill 1066 1Gb sticks. x2, tried Intel stock heatsink/fan and Scythe Ninja w/ fan. Various vidcards, etc. All no go.

Thanks.

Re: GA-EP35-DS3L 1 second power up, nothing else??

ATX12V pin MUST be plugged in for your system to work, this is the CPU Power plug. Without it your board will not function.

Did you try to start the PC with one stick of ram in slot one? If not try that.

If that does not work it sounds like you may have received a DOA board.

Last thing to try it to try it all out of your case on a box or wooden table with the minimum parts, CPU/fan, and One stick of ram in slot one, GFX card.

You may want to try this first or now incase you have something shorting your board out and you do not notice it

Comment

Yeah the ATX12v was plugged in except for the times I tried w/o it. Troubleshooting got desperate. Also did one stick of RAM try in each slot, switch sticks, etc. When it did the same thing with no RAM in the system, without any beep attempts, it told me all I needed to know. I do have a couple of PC's built at work and some shiny new DELL's I might pull apart to try with - no one there today with it being before a 3 day weekend. Given how it is behaving though, my experience tells me the motherboard is DOA. I have an RMA setup in case I need it. Thanks for the suggestions Lsdmeasap.

Comment

Do you have a case speaker plugged in?

Just have to ask as I have seen people mention no beeps but were unaware that a speaker was needed. If you know this and yes is the answer then dont mind me, just had to ask

Do you have any older DDR2? If so please try to start it with one of those in slot one, some DDR2 wont boot up at 1.8V to start with and that is what the board wants. Most other 2.0-2.2+ will boot at 1.8, just some random ones wont is why I mention this

Comment

Yeah I had some DDR2-667 and 800 at work - OEM Dell and Crucial. None of them worked. I did have a speaker attached, no beeps. The one second boot up didn't even give it time to beep to be honest.

I tried the CPU and memory in a Dell at work - they are fine. Tried the Dell CPU and mem on this system - no go. Same when the Crucial sticks were put in.

I've already RMA'ed it back to Newegg, so will see what the replacement does. Hopefully it will be happy. What I will probably do is boot it with the Crucial 800 sticks and set the BIOS by hand for the RAM that I will put in (G.Skill 1066 2.0v sticks) and go from there. Heck, if it boots and just beeps error codes at me with no memory in it, I'll be more happy than with this one.

Comment

Crucial does not play well with GA boards, but that Dell OEM should work as I think it would be 1.8V, but being 667 not so sure

Well good luck, At least you shop Newegg! Your RMA will be painless!

Comment

Update: Replacement stuff came today. Right now they and an E1200 1.6Ghz are looping memtest86 #5 without issue at 2.2Ghz. I only upped the FSB, nothing else changed so far. Do more later.

Thanks Newegg for the quick return and Lsdmeasap for the help.

Comment

Ya, newegg is nice for RMA's!

Glad to hear you are up and testing! What all did you RMA and get new of?

Comment

Wow, just found this thread, and I am experiencing near identical issues with a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L motherboard

Using;
                  Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L Intel P45 S775 ATX Mainboard
                  Intel Core 2 DUo E7200
                  OCZ Gold 2GB DC PC2-8800 DDR2 Memory Kit
                  WD SATAII 500Gb 7200RPM Hard Drive
                  Antec NSK6580 Mid-Tower Case w/430Watt PSU
                  eVGA 7900GT video card

I've done much the same troubleshooting (single ram chip, etc...). No flicker of power, everything stays totally off. I've never seen something like this while building PCs to date.

Greg
                  Last edited by Bud_AV; 09-16-2008, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Have you tried it out of the case, and off the tray? On a Box or wooden table? If not, please try it like that with ONLY CPU/Heatsink, one stick of ram in slot one (Try each one as you may have a bad one), GFX card, NO Hard drive.

Actually, have or can you tests the ram in another system to be sure you did not get a DOA set or stick? If so, please use the latest version here >>>
                    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Have you ever been in the BIOS? Just wondered if you knew what version you had. If you got the board a while back, or if it was sitting around it may have a older BIOS that does not support your CPU. Do you have a older 775 Chip to test this with? F4 -F6a is the only ones as of now that support your chip.

Also, have you checked to be SURE you have the 24 pin and 2x4 ATX 12V pin plugged in?

Comment

Working...
                    X