Article on Memory and Performance at ExtremeTech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article on Memory and Performance at ExtremeTech

ExtremeTech ran an article a couple days ago entitled: Memory and Perfomance - The Bottom Line. This is definitely a worthwhile read for the members of this forum, particularly as Gigabyte mobos were used for the test. (L, they also used Super Talent memory in the mix). Take a look and see what you think. Also see the reader comments section for a relatively well-informed debate on the various issues covered (or skipped) by the article.

Memory and Performance: The Bottom Line - Reviews by ExtremeTech

-MXC
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
    Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Re: Article on Memory and Performance at ExtremeTech

Thanks, I will for sure read that once I get some posts answered tonight!

Comment

Very Informative!

I always would have chosen more myself anyway because more can easily be overclocked more then faster can be overclocked. As it is already pushed near the max at sales spec's

I was surprised to see the vary little improvement DDR3 makes over DDR2, if any in some respects. Although I have not used DDR3, I am not surprised much at that after seeing CAS Settings of DDR3 being 7's and 9's even on some modules at certain speeds.

Great read, reminds me DDR3 is not only expensive it is definitely not any better, nor worth the cash

Comment

I agree. For me, a big part of the fun with putting a system together is finding the "sweet spot" of performance for price. I have found over the years that the curve really flattens out at some point, and you can throw a bunch more money at a component for very little return. DDR3 certainly seems to be in that category. I'm happy I chose to go with 4Gb instead of faster memory.
        Did you get a chance to read the lively debate in the reader comments?
        Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition

Comment

No, I have not read the comments part yet. I actually was going to while I was on page one and forgot by the time I got to the end.

Ya, DDR2 is here to stay for me for a while anyway. I dont have 4Gb myself (Well not 2x2 anyway), as I just keep trying to put back money for a P45 so I can better help around here. And I have a rocketfish in mid mod now as well.

But I do plan to sell off one of my 2x1 sets and put that into a 2x2 fund.

No DDR3 for me until 1366 CPU comes around at a decent price. Hopefully by then DDR3 will be affordable as well

But seeing it's performance and timings I kinda wish DDR2 would stay with the newer CPU's

Comment

Hey, just wanted to add that your advice has been helpful beyond my Gigabyte rig. I put together a very inexpensive system for my kid last night: EVGA mobo $39; 2Gb OCZ ram; e2200 cpu. Anyway, I was easily able to determine the proper memory timings (4.4.4.12) and voltage based on my struggles with the EP45 and your help. Made dialing things in on the new machine so much easier. Thanks again for your support.

Comment

Glad I could be of help, I try when I can. Sometimes I think I try to much and answer in my sleep!

Anyway, It's good to hear that helping others also helps them take in knowledge... Pass it on when you can

Comment

I am doing precisely that, my friend. You have been an inspiration.

Comment

Thanks for your support! I try when I can!

Comment

Working...
                  X