Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AHCI weirdness on new X48-DS4

Hi all,
    I'm having an issue I believe is related to ahci. I'm seeing a constant 20-40% cpu usage--even when the pc is doing nothing. It's almost amusing, as the system idle is showing 99% idle, but with 30% cpu in use.

The only drive currently attached to the mainboard (the rest are on an adaptec 1430SA in the other pci-e slot) is a 500GB seagate ST3500630AS

When I fired up process explorer, it showed that "hardware interrupts" were responsible (seems to spike on disk access) for the cpu usage.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Kind of desperate as I only have till this Saturday to resolve or return--otherwise I'm stuck with it.
    Hurray for a 7 day return policy.

Thanks.

Last edited by Unexploded; 08-27-2008, 04:10 PM. Reason: corrected spelling error

Re: AHCI weirdness on new X48-DS4

Hmm I see someone else with the same issue here, finally fixed with new board so they thought. Turned out to be bad Cables >>>
    Sysinternals Forums: High CPU usage for hardware interrupts

Do you have all other Controllers you are not using disabled? Such as the Gigabyte SATA2 controller?

Do you have Daemon tools installed?

Comment

Still seeing the issue when I remove the 1430sa and it's four 500GB WD HD's, but it's certainly worth check the remaining sata dvd and the seagate drive that's in there. Hell, at this point I'd be willing to sacrifice a chicken to resolve the issue. :)

The gigabyte sata controller is currently enabled, but was disabled initially.
      Where you thinking it needed to be enabled or disabled?

No daemon tools yet, not much on here (multiple rebuilds haven't left me much time). Basically it's vanilla xp + sp3 + drive imaging software (acronis) and some games off steam.

Comment

Well I was thinking you should disable all controllers you are not using. So if you are not using it set it to disabled in the BIOS

I just asked about Daemon because I saw while google'n your issue that one post had solved it by removing this program. So it sounds to me like it could possible be a program or non related driver that causes the issue. Possibly acronis, since it also has a Mount feature.... Just some thoughts here.

Did you notice it on a clean install with no drivers installed at all for anything? Or did you just now notice it and have not done a clean install?

Another thing I saw why looking was spyware also causes this, so please run a few Different Spyware app scans.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          Well I was thinking you should disable all controllers you are not using. So if you are not using it set it to disabled in the BIOS

I just asked about Daemon because I saw while google'n your issue that one post had solved it by removing this program. So it sounds to me like it could possible be a program or non related driver that causes the issue. Possibly acronis, since it also has a Mount feature.... Just some thoughts here.

Did you notice it on a clean install with no drivers installed at all for anything? Or did you just now notice it and have not done a clean install?

Another thing I saw why looking was spyware also causes this, so please run a few Different Spyware app scans.
          Yeah, I was suspicious of acronis as well initially (tried uninstalling it).
          The issue was happening right from the start with a fresh install--regardless of what version of intel chipset drivers or ahci drivers I used.

It even continued happening after pulling the dvd cable and replacing the hard drive cable with a spare I already had; but you were on the right track with the cable suggestion.

I eventually got frustrated to the point I stripped everything out, and start placing items back in one by one and the culprit...turned out to be the dvd drives sata cable. The thing was so evil, it would continue to cause the error after unplugging it (and rebooting)--must have messed something up during windows install(s).

A fresh install (with a working cable) and I'm back in business. Thank you very much for the cable suggestion.

I'll take a day or two off messing around and then see if the new board will out OC my old P5K Premium.

Comment

Have you tried a OS install without AHCI drivers? It could be the issue. What OS are you using, if Vista then you do not need AHCI as the best feature (NCQ) would be used by default and is integrated into Vista install anyway.

If you are using XP then you would need it if you have to have AHCI.

Ahh, I start answering people one paragraph at a time, guess I should read fully then start my replies!

I see you got it! Glad I could get you thinking in the right direction. I was going to suggest you start unplugging it all and plugging things in one by one but was trying to put off having you go thru that mess if you did not need to

Nice to hear you found the problem, good luck in your overclock ventures!

I installed Water Cooling setup in my PC a good two months ago and have not had time to mess with seeing how far I can overclock now with it. Been so busy I guess, and now I am modding out a Rocketfish so I may not get into any testing until I get that done.... Hopefully by the end of next month!

Good luck with everything man, Post back anytime

Comment

Have you tried a OS install without AHCI drivers? It could be the issue. What OS are you using, if Vista then you do not need AHCI as the best feature (NCQ) would be used by default and is integrated into Vista install anyway.

If you are using XP then you would need it if you have to have AHCI.

Ahh, I start answering people one paragraph at a time, guess I should read fully then start my replies!

I see you got it! Glad I could get you thinking in the right direction. I was going to suggest you start unplugging it all and plugging things in one by one but was trying to put off having you go thru that mess if you did not need to

Nice to hear you found the problem, good luck in your overclock ventures!

I installed Water Cooling setup in my PC a good two months ago and have not had time to mess with seeing how far I can overclock now with it. Been so busy I guess, and now I am modding out a Rocketfish so I may not get into any testing until I get that done.... Hopefully by the end of next month!

Good luck with everything man, Post back anytime
              And it looks like I spoke too soon...
              Just started doing it again a couple minutes ago.

I'm running XP Pro, haven't tried an install without ahci, but I think that's next on the agenda. Just got to time it right as I'm stuck on call and need the pc for work--though I suppose I could bike in and snag the company-issued laptop.

Assuming, the issue goes away with regular old ide mode, I'll image it so I can continue to try and get get ahci going.

So if you (or anyone else reading this) comes up with any ideas, feel free to fire away. I should likely paste in a list of everything in the pc to give a more complete picture.

The funny thing is, I suspect (properly functioning) ahci won't even make that much of a difference, it just bugs me when things don't work. :)

Comment

Ahhh!

Well yea, a clean install non AHCI is what I would try next then

Good luck with it all, wish I had some direct answers but there are so many variables and I have seen so many pages in google about fixing it not even sure where to start to make more suggestions

Comment

Ahhh!

Well yea, a clean install non AHCI is what I would try next then

Good luck with it all, wish I had some direct answers but there are so many variables and I have seen so many pages in google about fixing it not even sure where to start to make more suggestions
                  No worries, thanks. On the plus side I now know the issue isn't limited to ahci; fresh install without ahci, same problem. I've been reading a lot of google myself. This is a weird one for sure. Will keep you posted.

Comment

Cool, yeah please do post back if you find your cause. Just incase anyone looks it up here in the future

Good luck

Sp3 installed?

Comment

Re: hardware interrupt weirdness (constant high cpu) on new X48-DS4

Cool, yeah please do post back if you find your cause. Just incase anyone looks it up here in the future

Good luck

Sp3 installed?
                      Hello anyone searching for how to resolve the issue of a constant 20-40% cpu usage even when you're not accessing your drives, the answer is:
                      leave the pci-e set to auto, don't lock it at 100 like you usually would.

One I did that, no more issues. I confirmed it's still running at 100 using their included overclocking software

Comment

Auto is 100

It is just always suggested to manually set it to 100 to everyone, because overclocking at the time or not they may decide to in the future

The reason AUTO is not good, is because if you overclock your FSB AT ALL then PCI Express bus is also automatically overclocked as well if not locked to 100. Auto will not lock it always and the time it varies will depend on the system speeds, and will corrupt your disk if not locked

Comment

I was building 2 new identical computers and this problem popped up on one of them in the process also hardware interrupts. It turned out the computer with the "PCI EXPRESS FREQ" set at 100 was the one causing the problem.
                          As soon as I set it back to auto all was well, I tried it on the other computer and the cpu perfomance went wild too. So it just wasn't an isolated board mishap.

Hope ya find the problem, a real PITA. hehe

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz
                          1GB BFG NVIDIA GeForce gtx 280
                          Patriot 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1330
                          GIGABYTE GA-X48T-DQ6 ddr3
                          Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP3
                          Seagate 250 gig HD
                          Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
                          Antec 850 watt ps
                          HP dvd1035i DVD Writer

Comment

PCI Express is 100 at Auto, UNTIL you overclock. That is why It is always suggested to manually set to 100, because once you overclock the FSB the PCI Express bus is overclock as well if left on Auto!

So that likely was not your issue and you also changed one or two other settings at the same time or close to then and just didnt notice they helped

100-110 is a "Safe" range, but should Always be manually set when you overclock at all, by any means. If you do not you risk data corruption and or damage to other Items such as Hard drives and Graphics cards

Comment

Working...
                            X