X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Re: GA-EP43-DS3L and Video

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      Ya, I do often answer tons of posts each day and forget who has what! Ya, I for sure remember you and your 2 other systems from earlier (I just often do not look pages back unless I need to look at specs, which I maybe didnt do here this time around).

So this is a third board for her system then right?
      Yes, this is the 3rd mobo. It is getting more than a bit frustrating.
      I wish I could at least figure out what the problem is...

This card runs fine in your system right but not hers right? I just assume so from all the previous issues and testing with "Her's" in "Your's"
      Yes, everything runs fine in my system, even her HDD with her drivers installed. Sorry about the confusion...

I do have a few questions about your settings >>>

(G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto] << Can set 333, and likely best to use 400
      System Memory Multiplier ..............: Dependant on above, but for stock 333FSB you would want to choose 3.20D or 3.20D
      Command Rate (CMD) ....................:22 Misprint I take it right? 2 not 22
      Yes, it is 2 not 22. Typo.

CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: <<< You can set 1.25-1.34 for stock
      CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: <<< You can set 1.5-1.6 for stock
      CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .805 <<< Should be .61 % of VTT (Above CPU Termination)
      CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .805 <<< Should be .65-67 % of VTT (Above CPU Termination)

Being as you do not manually set VTT, Auto will make it vary so I wondered two things. What made you decide to set those GTLREF settings above, and what made you decide on the same values
      I have no idea. I don't know what they do, and I have not set them. That is just what the board auto-set and I did not change them.

Sorry to be a dumbass, this voltage stuff is out of my league...

MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << Why not set for 2x2? Should use 1.2-1.3
      MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< 1.55 << Why so high?
      Again, I have no idea. I will set it to .800

DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 1.8 << Likely needs more for 1066 speeds. What is the warrantied amount on the sticker of your ram? 2.0-2.1 is normally good for 1066
      According to NewEggs specifications here:
      Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
      Speed - DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
      CAS Latency - 5
      Timing - 5-5-5-15
      Voltage 2.0 - 2.1

I will reset these settings to your recommended and see what happens.

Thanks again, and I will let you know what happens.

This is really driving me nuts...why is one system working perfectly (not one crash, no BSOD, flawless in games from EQ to WoW to Oblivion) and the other system so unstable?

Rod
      Last edited by rjkardo; 09-30-2008, 11:42 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections

Comment

Made the changes where I could, some of the settings are not the same.
        Either I was given AUTO and Normal or in other cases numbers that did not fit in the range.

Anyway, I had my wife make the changes (talked to her on the phone) and the pc blue screened right away. Tried it a few times, ended up having her load 'fail safe defaults' to get it running for now.

Is there anyway to print out the bios settings so I can show the differences in the settings for my mobo?

Thanks,
        Rod

Comment

What do you mean? You should be able to set all that I suggested. Can you please note which you could not.

No, you will either have to manually write them into the templates I post or Take a pic with a camera.

I know you dont wanna, but have you tested ALL of your parts in her system on her motherboard tray? Maybe there is something Shorting on her case somewhere.

I could see maybe one rouge board, possibly two, but three? No way, unless there is something in her case that is different somehow or bad.

Or....... Are you SURE the second and third boards were new replacements and not the exact same boards given back to you and they just told you they were new? When I RMA or return anything I mark it in several hidden places with a UV marker or various colors and take a Picture and then examine the new items to be sure when I get it back. You would be surprised at how many places will test things, find no issues and return you the same item and tell you it is a replacement (New or used)

Comment

What do you mean? You should be able to set all that I suggested. Can you please note which you could not.

No, you will either have to manually write them into the templates I post or Take a pic with a camera.

I know you dont wanna, but have you tested ALL of your parts in her system on her motherboard tray? Maybe there is something Shorting on her case somewhere.

I could see maybe one rouge board, possibly two, but three? No way, unless there is something in her case that is different somehow or bad.

Or....... Are you SURE the second and third boards were new replacements and not the exact same boards given back to you and they just told you they were new? When I RMA or return anything I mark it in several hidden places with a UV marker or various colors and take a Picture and then examine the new items to be sure when I get it back. You would be surprised at how many places will test things, find no issues and return you the same item and tell you it is a replacement (New or used)
            I checked the serial numbers, so they are different boards.

I used Everest, RivaTuner and Evga Precision to take screen shots of her settings. One of the reasons I am trying to follow up on this is that some of the settings on her bios did not match the list that you made. I was hoping to print out the settings, but I can have a picture of the settings made.

Can I email them to you? I took screenshots and put them in a word file, but I can just send the images if you would like.

Thanks again for all the help.
            I am really lost at this point.

Rod

Comment

Can you just upload the images to imageshack.us or photobucket.com or tinypic.com and post them here in [img]Direct url goes here[/img] Tags Or just links to them, or a Zip file uploaded to anywhere like mediafire.com

That would be easiest for me. Glad to see you checked serials at least

So, you haven't yet tested all your stuff in her case then eh? How about all her stuff on a wooden table with no case?

Comment

Can you just upload the images to imageshack.us or photobucket.com or tinypic.com and post them here in [img]Direct url goes here[/img] Tags Or just links to them, or a Zip file uploaded to anywhere like mediafire.com

That would be easiest for me. Glad to see you checked serials at least

So, you haven't yet tested all your stuff in her case then eh? How about all her stuff on a wooden table with no case?
                Hello again,
                Ok, I uploaded the 13 images I have here:
                RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
                It is a free DL.

I have swapped parts back and forth between her case and mine so many times IDK which is which anymore. Everything, HDD, CPU, Fans, DVD, PSU, 8800GT card...RAM... All work fine in my system. But in hers, something is messed up. Lots of the dreaded n4_disp display errors, but only in games (so far). Even WoW and EQ, which are old and less graphic intensive.

All the parts are identical between the two systems except the case and mobo and I have moved all of them back and forth. I will try the mobo on a cardboard box tonight and/or swap mobo's between the computers.

My wife is taking pictures of the bios now, so I should have that up shortly. Hopefully I have something either set or detected wrong in the bios, but I don't think that is the issue. Both bios are the same, I went down line by line in both. One works, one does not.

Thanks again for your help. Hopefully I am not being too much of a bother...

Rod

Comment

K, I will check out these images today and get back to you as I am on my way out the door. Ya, I would test everything out of the case. I have never seen a case cause issues other then shorting something out though, but starnger things have happened.

Be sure to test only one thing added at a time, you might find a CD drive or HD to blame.

I would suggest for sure to get her a new case and solve your headache the easy way if you find it to work outside of the case, rather then trying to find out what in the case is the issue.

Be sure to test with the board off the tray on a box or wooden table

So that above is your BIOS, and hers is coming then? If so, OK I will wait and get them both at once.

No, no bother man! Sorry I have not helped you get this fixed yet really. But it is sounding more and more like this case itself is somehow haunted since this is the third board

Comment

K, I will check out these images today and get back to you as I am on my way out the door. Ya, I would test everything out of the case. I have never seen a case cause issues other then shorting something out though, but stranger things have happened.

Be sure to test only one thing added at a time, you might find a CD drive or HD to blame.

I would suggest for sure to get her a new case and solve your headache the easy way if you find it to work outside of the case, rather then trying to find out what in the case is the issue.

Be sure to test with the board off the tray on a box or wooden table

So that above is your BIOS, and hers is coming then? If so, OK I will wait and get them both at once.

No, no bother man! Sorry I have not helped you get this fixed yet really. But it is sounding more and more like this case itself is somehow haunted since this is the third board
                    Ok, the first set of images are from various apps, like Rivatune, Easytune, Precision, Memset, and Everest. This set of images:
                    RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
                    were taken just a few minutes ago by my wife, again of her computer. It shows the bios settings. (Made her late for tennis practice...she was *not* happy) :)

None of the images are of the working computer, just the one with the problems.

PC has:
                    EP43-DS3L Gigabyte mobo
                    G.Skill 1066 DDR2 RAM (4gb)
                    Evga 8800GT 512 mb video card
                    WD Sata HDD 500GB
                    Asus DVD
                    Rosewill 450 watt PSU
                    The working and troubled PC are identical.

All of her equipment, even her HDD, work just fine in the other system.
                    That is what is throwing me. If it was drivers, it should fail in both systems as they are stored on the HDD. But that is not the case. Everything has been swapped out, my part in her pc, her part in mine. I try them one at a time...put her RAM in my system and my RAM in her system. Whatever the part, same result.

This is the printout of the bios that I got from your post, and what I had been using to try to setup her system.

I don't think it is the same as what I see, using version F7 of the bios for the EP43 mobo.

Thanks again, I worry that I am either giving you too much info or not enough.
                    I really don't like being a pest, but this is driving me nuts: and it is driving my wife nuts and she is making me nuttier.
                    :)

Rod
                    Last edited by rjkardo; 10-01-2008, 09:14 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Looking into this now for you, just incase you are here and wondering. Ill post back in a few

Comment

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                        C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                        x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                        CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                        CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                        Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Comment

Sorry she was late! Tell her next time No flash please

I would test ALL of her items in your Case, all at once. I know you may have tested them all but likely not here whole setup in your system. Or your's in her case. I think it is really maybe something in her case
                          Thanks for getting back to me on this.
                          Right now, everything that was in her case is in mine and working fine.
                          Her CPU & fan, Video card, PSU, RAM, DVD, and cables are all safely in my system. Her HDD was in my system for 3 days with no problems.
                          I am, like you, leaning toward a case issue. I hope that is it, or anyway, I just want to figure something out.

It is a nvidia error though, so it would have to be PSU or Card related. But getting everything from her case into yours would let you know for sure if it is her case or not.
                          That is where I keep running into roadblocks.
                          Is it a GPU issue? If so, why is her card working fine in my case?
                          Is it driver related? Her HDD works fine in my case.
                          Bios settings? They are the same in my case...
                          See, I thought that having two identical systems would make troubleshooting easier...

You said your card works fine in her system? Did you test it long enough to be sure? And hers in yours long enough to be sure?
                          Her card was in my system for over a week.
                          Then I moved it back when troubleshooting the 2nd mobo.
                          Now it is back in my case. I just swap them, so I can fire up both computers and test them at the same time. No matter what part I use...my pc continues to run well and hers does not.

I DO notice that you have speedstep enabled, do you know about that? It can often cause many issues when it downclocks CPU volts and the CPU multiplier. These are the C1E and EIST setting in the advanced page of the BIOS
                          After trying to change the settings and getting BSOD's constantly, I used 'load fail safe' to get the system to run.

Sorry, I am somewhat computer literate, but this is one of those things that I know very little about. Whatever is turned on here, the default load set. I have used it several times to get the system running after trying to update the settings and getting something wrong.

IDK if it meant to or not, but sometimes it does load differently.
                          For example, when I first looked at the bios after putting in this (the 3rd) mobo, it listed the processor as a 2.66 instead of a 3.0. I set the timings to make it a 3, and since then every time I have to use the fail safe defaults it shows it at a 3. IDK how that works.

Sorry to be such a dumbass...

And, ya know the txt file you gave me is a blank template no settings I suggested are in it. And I see I have only made a few suggestions to you here on page 3. 2x2GB of ram needs certain things manually set for sure which I see you are not doing. But I doubt this would cause the card to fail as it is
                          Oops, my bad. I did follow your suggestions, but I guess the defaults changed them and I failed to return them. My bad...

Please disable Legacy USB Storage Detect in Integrated Peripherals page of the BIOS
                          OK

Lets try this, Here is some suggested settings for your system at stock. If these do not help I think I personally would be looking at a RMA on that card. Test these on your system first so you are sure they fully work >>

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
                          Robust Graphics Booster ...............: [Auto]
                          CPU Clock Ratio ..........................:9
                          Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
                          CPU Frequency ...........................:3.00

Clock Chip Control
                          Standard Clock Control
                          CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
                          CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 333Mhz
                          PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
                          CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<<800
                          PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<<900
                          CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<<0
                          MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<<50-150

DRAM Performance Control
                          Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
                          Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
                          (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [400] << you may want to use 333 for more stability

System Memory Multiplier ..............:3.20
                          Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............:1066
                          DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
                          CAS Latency Time........................5
                          tRCD .........................................5
                          tRP'...........................................5
                          tRAS..........................................15/18

Advanced Timing Control
                          tRRD...........................................3-4 (3 will likely be fine)
                          tWTR..........................................6-8 (= +7 in memset)
                          tWR............................................7 (+5 =12)
                          tRFC...........................................52-54
                          tRTP...........................................3-6 (set to 3 should work) (= +2 in memset)
                          Sorry for the stupid question...
                          I am not sure what you mean by (= +7 in memset).
                          You are referring to the program memset?

Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Channel A
                          Static tRead Value.........................:8
                          tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
                          tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                          tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                          tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                          Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
                          Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                          Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                          Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
                          Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
                          Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Channel B
                          Static tRead Value.........................:8
                          tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
                          tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                          tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                          tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                          Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
                          Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                          Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                          Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
                          Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
                          Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
                          Voltage Type.………... Manual
                          CPU
                          CPU Vcore….……….........................:Auto
                          CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: <<< 1.34
                          CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: <<< 1.56
                          CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .81-.82
                          CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .87-.89

MCH/ICH
                          MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 1.25-1.3 (Start at 1.3)
                          MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
                          MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
                          ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< 1.55-1.65
                          ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< 1.2-1.4

DRAM
                          DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.1
                          DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
                          Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
                          Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

Advanced Settings
                          Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                          No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                          CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                          C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                          x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                          CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                          CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                          Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]
                          Ok, I will get this set ASAP.
                          Also, I should be able to test the board outside the case tonight.

As always, I really appreciate your help and patience.
                          I know you have a lot going on here, and it must get tough dealing with us clueless folk.

Thank you again,
                          Rod
                          Last edited by rjkardo; 10-02-2008, 08:29 AM. Reason: Spelling Correction

Comment

I was thinking, maybe the I/O shield on her case is shorting something? I dunno, but it does sound like you should maybe get her a new case from what you say now.

+7 in Memset, I updated the memory guide last night with the rest of that. What I mean is what you set in the BIOS will show +2 or +5, or +7 in the program Memset. So ya, like you asked. Just wanted to note that to you here incase you wondered why things were different in memset then what you set in the BIOS.

I would like to see both of your systems Advanced Memory pages images as well which were left out of the last packages you uploaded. But if they are both the same no need really

And to explain your 2.6 instead of 3.0, you should be loading optimized defaults not fail safe. That is why it set your CPU like that. Try please to always use Optimized defaults instead, and of course then add the MCH voltage, set the trfc and set memory voltages (These 3 are critical to be manually set after you load and use Optimized defaults, at least for 2x2GB ram)

Hey no problem man, I am here to help when I can. I know how hard it can be for things to not work and not be able to find much help!

I am sorry that we have not solved this yet, it is very strange.

Hey, I know you have the same cards, but have you compared GPU-Z findings to see that they are the exact same? If not, Here is GPU-Z >>>
                            GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility

If it everything from her pc works in your system and or outside of the case I think you should just pick her up a new case and ebay that haunted one

Comment

I was thinking, maybe the I/O shield on her case is shorting something? I dunno, but it does sound like you should maybe get her a new case from what you say now.

+7 in Memset, I updated the memory guide last night with the rest of that. What I mean is what you set in the BIOS will show +2 or +5, or +7 in the program Memset. So ya, like you asked. Just wanted to note that to you here incase you wondered why things were different in memset then what you set in the BIOS.

I would like to see both of your systems Advanced Memory pages images as well which were left out of the last packages you uploaded. But if they are both the same no need really

And to explain your 2.6 instead of 3.0, you should be loading optimized defaults not fail safe. That is why it set your CPU like that. Try please to always use Optimized defaults instead, and of course then add the MCH voltage, set the trfc and set memory voltages (These 3 are critical to be manually set after you load and use Optimized defaults, at least for 2x2GB ram)

Hey no problem man, I am here to help when I can. I know how hard it can be for things to not work and not be able to find much help!

I am sorry that we have not solved this yet, it is very strange.

Hey, I know you have the same cards, but have you compared GPU-Z findings to see that they are the exact same? If not, Here is GPU-Z >>>
                              GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility

If it everything from her pc works in your system and or outside of the case I think you should just pick her up a new case and ebay that haunted one
                              Ok, I updated her bios with the new settings and the pc got stuck, I had to boot it 4 or 5 times before it would start up. Not sure what happened, but it would not even get to the 'green' flash screen that allows you to access the bios. But then it booted, and since then has booted fine.
                              But still no good; NWN2 causes the nv_disp.dll error and/or lockups and WoW still goes color-crazy. So I pulled the mobo out of the case, set it on some cardboard and pulled all the case cables (LED, HDD Light) except the power cable. Still locks up.

I ran out of time, so tonight I am putting her entire system, mobo included, into my case and putting my system in her case.

There *HAS* to be a reason for this, and I will find it...

Oh, in the bios, what is C.I.A.2 ? I see it in my MIB Tweak but it is not on the list...

Thanks again,
                              Rod
                              Last edited by rjkardo; 10-03-2008, 12:46 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

How did you flash? I hope not with @BIOS, that is why I made this thread >>

At least you survived, that is a plus!

C.I.A.2 is a "Generic" overclocking feature, leave it disabled. Here is some info if ya wanna check it out >>>
                                CIA2

Good luck, ya there is something for sure wrong here

Comment

Working...
                                X