Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-EP31-DS3L: What is BIOS version 'FB'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP31-DS3L: What is BIOS version 'FB'?

The GA-EP31-DS3L is a new variation of the P31 motherboard with Dynamic Energy Saver (DES), and I wish to use it with a 45nm CPU (E7200 or E8400).

Gigabyte usually state BIOS version as F1, F2, F3, etc., but for this product the CPU support list shows that version FB supports 45nm, 65nm and all earlier supported CPUs. Also, the BIOS page indicates FB to be the only version available to date (released 5th August 2008).

My first thoughts were that the 'B' in FB might indicate a Beta version, yet it is hardly Beta if the product is in production with only this BIOS version available.

Can anyone explain the meaning of version FB, or reassure me that this BIOS version will work with, and be stable with, the E7200 or E8400?

James

Re: GA-EP31-DS3L: What is BIOS version 'FB'?

The site clearly states they support 45nm and both CPUs you want to use are on the list. You are looking at Rev 2.0 of that board, which only has one version of BIOS so far, and it is called FB. There are earlier versions of the BIOS (F1-F4) for the original Rev of this board. No idea why they decided to use FB for this one, but it is unlikely to be beta.
    Look around this forum before you move ahead, and make sure you are comfortable doing some tweaking in order to get the system stable. Report back and let us know how it goes.
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
    Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

If you are not already using that BIOS, please DO NOT USE @BIOS to flash to it.

Aside from that ya, it is named strangely as they normally would have either a F1 for first, or a F1x for a Beta version

And yes FB will support those CPU's

Comment

Thanks to you both.

mxcrowe,
        I hadn't noticed this board is at Rev 2.0, so I need to ensure I buy that exact revision.

> make sure you are comfortable doing some tweaking in order to get the system stable

Now I'm worried! My new system isn't for gaming, and I've no other interest in overclocking, so I'm hoping it will be stable from the start, without any tweaking required.

Lsdmeasap,
        Thanks for the advice re @BIOS - a quick look through some posts revealed the reason behind your advice. A Sticky on that topic would be useful, but mainly if it was read before getting into trouble.

James

Comment

James,
          I wouldn't recommend this family of boards to those who are uncomfortable with getting into the BIOS and playing around a bit. Lots of folks have had to work pretty hard to get to stability. OTOH, these boards do offer a lot of options for those who like to tweak their settings and get the most out of their systems. Beyond that, I believe Gigabyte is currently struggling with some memory compatibility issues, particularly where Vista x64 is concerned. Look around on the forum and you'll get a pretty good picture of the state of things.
          Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition

Comment

mxcrowe,

OK, now you definitely have my attention! Maybe a little background would help you to advise me further.

Why am I building my own PC? (1) Because I did it once before, about 5 years ago, but that (my current) system now needs replacing, and (2) though I could buy a reasonably specified system from Dell (or similar), it would probably not be as good as a system I specify and build myself.

However, just because I did it once before, does not make me a system builder. As they say, 'a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing' (but maybe in this case substitute 'troublesome' for 'dangerous'!) While I have a passing interest in the technology, I'm a programmer at heart. So, I've no need for a top of the range gaming system, nor do I have any interest in overclocking, or tweaking.

What I do need is a stable platform, sufficient to cope with the demands of software development. This probably translates to a 2 to 3GHz CPU, 2 GB memory, and Windows XP.

I was interested in the GA-EP31-DS3L because it is highly recommended by some, is low cost, and appears to meet all my requirements. But now you have put some doubts in my mind...

Any motherboard suggestions or recommendations for my requirements?

James

Comment

I have recently put together three systems for my family with the idea of absolutely minimizing costs while still producing a decent platform for web browsing, school work, research, and some basic games. For this purpose, I choose ECS or EVGA motherboards at rock-bottom prices (~$40 after rebates). I get audio and video built-in. 2Gb of 667-800mhz memory (~$32). Intel 2000 series CPUs (less than $80, can be OC'd). Inexpensive SATA drive. I usually have cases, PSUs, fans, and optical drives laying around, so the new build is around $200 for a pretty nice system.
              For my own system, I got a bit more, but I like to play some games and push the envelope, so it's worth the extra expense to me. In the past, I've always had good luck with Asus. LSD thinks they are not as good as they used to be. This is my first Gigabyte experience and I must say it is not what I expected. I am still hopeful that they sort out these stability issues eventually (I just restarted from BSOD after coming back from hibernate ).
              From what you're describing, I think you'd be better served by taking my "family PC" approach. You can get an awful lot of machine for $200 these days. And you can always add a gfx card later, if necessary.

Comment

mxcrowe,

There is merit in the approach you recommend.

In addition, I may source the MB, CPU and memory from a company like Novatech (UK), who supply these components as a built and tested bundle. This should reduce the gamble of potential problems or tweaking. I don't need such 'fun' right now, just a reliable system.

Thanks again,
                James

PS: It's 2am here, and I'm off to bed - guess I'll miss that important speech in about 1 hour from you know who!

Comment

Yes, that's a very solid idea. Takes a lot of the unknowns (fun?) out of the equation for you. Good luck with the build.

Comment

Working...
                  X