Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EP35-DS3 - Vista boot failure after bios update! (F2->F3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP35-DS3 - Vista boot failure after bios update! (F2->F3)

Help!

I used @BIOS program to install BIOS update for my EP35-DS3 motherboard, my previous version was F2. I used 2nd Taiwanese server that found available update that was for EP35-DS3 (F3). I proceeded with install, rebooted, went to BIOS setup and selected "load optimized defaults" and BLAM! My Vista Enterprise install fails to load. Each time I try to boot, loading stops to a sporadic error that nags about unavailability of a system file. It seems to be a different file each attempt.

I have tried to load fail-safe settings but it doesn't help either. What is causing this behaviour? What should I do now? Help...

My system has q9300, EP35-DS3, 4GB OCZ memory, ATI 4870, Western Digital SATA 500GB HD, Corsair HX620W power, Vista Enterprise with SP1.
    Last edited by eikka; 08-28-2008, 02:06 PM.

Re: EP35-DS3 - Vista boot failure after bios update! (F2->F3)

Please remove all but one stick of ram in Slot one and see if that helps

If not it sounds like you are just going to need to clear your CMOS. Luckily since you can load your BIOS your board is not fried for now.

To Properly clear the CMOS please unplug the PSU from the wall and put a Hard Drive jumper or Optical Jumper on the Clear CMOS pins and let the PC sit for 20+ minutes or so. Then remove the Jumper, plug in the PSU and As above put only one stick of Ram in Slot one.

Do you have a Floppy or USB stick? If so I would recommend doing this first >>>

Use Qflash to re-flash your BIOS right now. Download the CORRECT BIOS for your board Model & Revision (Revision Number is on the bottom corner under PCI Slots, you are ok on this as there is only one rev... 2.1) From here, F2 or F3 >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP35-DS3 (rev. 2.1)

You will need to extract the BIOS file (.F2 or .F3) from the downloaded .exe file for use in Qflash. This .F3 file is the only one you will need. Place it on a floppy or a FAT32 formatted flash drive and enter qflash from boot using the "END" key at startup, or F8 from within the BIOS

If you do not have a extractor or Winrar (What I use) here is a trial download, after install right click the downloaded exe BIOS file and choose "Extract Here"

Scroll down and download Winrar 3.71 >>>
    WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files

If you do not have a USB ort Floppy you only other option would be getting on another PC and making a FAT32 Partition on a Disk and putting the BIOS file (.F3) on it and hooking it up to the PC and see if you can see it in Qflash.

*NOTE*

In Qflash the options presented to you may not look right as far as USB or disk/floppy. They may Say Disks, or Drives, just look thru each one for your BIOS file

Again though, since you board is not fried (Meaning you can still enter the BIOS) you may be fine with just starting it up with one stick. If not please post back to me what settings you are using in the MIT section and I will see If I can see the issue (Normally Static tRead Value too low)

Comment

Thank you for the detailed instructions!

I have rev 2.1 and I think @BIOS provided me with proper bios version. And actually, the version shown by @BIOS was exactly EP35-DS3 (F3), which is my MB exactly.

What I did next was clear the CMOS. Since the proper resetting to the defaults via BIOS setup didn't help, I turned off the power from the computer (I didn't remove PSU power cord from the MB though) and used a screwdriver as a jumper for 30 secs on the CMOS clear pins. After this, I booted the comp and was directly greeted with a warning about improper BIOS settings and a menu that allowed me to reset the bios to default. I selected exactly that, and ba-da-boom! Vista booted up normally and I have used it for a day without any problems.

So, overall, the BIOS file itself did not seem to be corrupt, but most likely the @BIOS software severely screwed up the flashing phase. It still prompted a successful bios update, so there must be a bug in the @BIOS software. It seems that it is quite dangerous to use @BIOS for flashing bios, and I strongly suggest people not to use it!

Do you think I am on a safe side now? Should I now go change any settings from the bios? Perhaps try to load optimized factory defaults? Or should I re-flash F3 bios manually just in case (I personally don't see a need for that now)? Thank you for all your help!
      Last edited by eikka; 08-28-2008, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Don't get LSD started...he's constantly warning people about @BIOS. The stickies above also mention not to use @BIOS, but rather, to use Q-Flash and a floppy.
        That dual-bios can be a lifesaver though...it has pulled me through a couple of times now.
        Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
        Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

He, I guess I learned it the hard way then. I wouldn't mind if it were capitalized in yet another sticky thread title: "Never, ever, use @BIOS. Yes, it is your motherboard manufacturer's software, but do not let it distract you from the TRUTH. That software will cannibalize your system."

Comment

Originally posted by mxcrowe View Post
            That dual-bios can be a lifesaver though...it has pulled me through a couple of times now.
            Wait a minute... Was is the dual bios menu which allowed me to reset factory settings to the main bios?

Comment

I assume so. My machine brings me back to the F3 BIOS that the mobo shipped with. After that, I flash back up to where I want to be. This has happened when I pushed parameters too far, and when Q-flash failed for some reason.
              Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
              Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

Update: I seem to have serious troubles with my MSI ATi Radeon 4870 card now. When I watch HD video trailers, screen gets garbled with white stripes and Vista halts. Reboot fails immediately after stall, but if I let the card cool down, the computer boots to a Vista screen but another lockup follows after a short period of time. I reflashed F2 bios using Qflash tool as instructed by lsdmeasap but it didn't have any effect for this problem.

So, I have sent the card for RMA and use an old X1300 card as a replacement for now. That card doesn't seem to have any problems with Vista using the same Cat 8.7 drivers... But I'll keep testing and report how things develop from here.

Comment

Yeap Sounds like a card issue to me. When you get your RMA'd one you may need to add a after-market cooler to keep it cool as it sounds like it is overheating

Comment

Working...
                  X