GeForce 9800 GTX compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce 9800 GTX compatibility

I got one question. I thik it's possible that it was already answered in other threads, but I'm new and I didn't have the time to see every thread on Forum. My question is:
    Will the GeForce 9800GTX card run with max. performance on Gigabvyte board GA-8I945GZME-RH. I want to buy better graphic card. I think GeForce 9800GTX is a good choice, but I don't want to lose money on it if it won't work on my board. If someone know something about that pleas answer my question. Maybe someone have this board and that video card so please write how is it working.

Re: GeForce 9800 GTX compatibility

NO, that board would not let that card run at it's best >>>
    GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-8I945GZME-RH

It only has a x4 bandwidth slot. You would be better of buying a cheaper card or a better board

Comment

Yeah, I recently found some more specific info about 9800 GTX. Thx for help anyway.

Comment

Anytime, so what did you decide/find?

Comment

I found out that 9800 GTX is not compatible with normal PCI Express x16. The best choice would be Geforce GTX 260, but it's somewhat expensive. So I decided to get GeForce 8800 GTX or Ultra. They are slower than 9800 GTX but it's very small difference. And those cards are compatible with new PCI Express 2.0 (Like one that are needed by 9800 GTX) but they also have full support for normal PCI Express x16. Still have to decide wheter I should buy 8800 GTX or Ultra. I'm waiting for response from Nvidia support center. I hope that They will help me to choose one of those models. When I get a response, I'll put everything on this forum, so everyone will be able to get some help. And again thx for help.

Comment

PCI-E 16x works just fine with any PCI-E 2.0 card, whoever told you they dont is crazy

They both work fine interchangeably >>>
            PCI-E 16x Card works fine in PCI-E 2.0 Slot
            PCI-E 2.0 Card works fine in PCI-E 16x Slot

Comment

Theoreticaly yes. But I got info from Nvidia support center, that for GeForce 9800 the PCI E x16 slot might not be enough. It will work, but it won't be able to unleash it's true power. Other Nvidia cards are compatible with slots 2.0 and x16 (like GTX 260 or 8800 series). And I want a graphic card, that will be able to work with it's max. power. And if it's going to 800 Ultra or GTX. Ultra is more powerfull, and sometimes it has better performance than 9800 GTX, still it needs minimum 500 Watts of energy, and is more expensive than GTX. GTX is cheaper and needs only 450 Watts of energy. Still it lacks some power in comparison to 9800GTX or 8800 Ultra. It's a choice between better and cheaper.

Comment

They are LYING to you to get you to buy their products

Comment

It's possible, but still 9800 GTX will have hard times unleashing even half of it's power on my board ( I got this info from Gigabyte support centre). So They were not lying about weak performance of 9800 GTX. I'm thinking about buying 8800 Ultra, or waiting 'till GTX 260 prices will lower a bit, so I'll be able to buy it without spending too much money (I belive it will happen shortly, 3 months max. and this card will be the best choice I think.)

Comment

Yeah a 945 Chipset may limit it a bit, but the PCI-E 16X slot will not. There is decent P35 boards for cheap maybe you should look at one of those to run with a lesser card to find a cheap balance

Comment

I think buying P35 board isn't bad idea. But I decided that I'll buy GTX 260. It don't have such a big price that I can't afford that right now, still I'll wait a month or so, till the price will go down a bit. I got to change my power supply adaptor as well (got only 350 Watts right now and need 500 Watts). I'll probably change my board but it's sth I'll do in future. Now I'm concentrated on changin' my graphic card, cause my GeForce 7300 LE wasn't such a good idea when buying a PC ;/ I think I know everything I should for now. I got my mind clear, and I was able to choose the best option for time being. Ok, again thx for help Lsdmeasap.

Comment

Anytime, I know decisions, decisions dont ya just hate it! I try to decide for months and when I am almost ready something new is out!

Dont skimp on your PSU it is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of your system

Comment

Working...
                        X