x48t-dq6 and 4870x2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x48t-dq6 and 4870x2

I have recently purchased a X48T-DQ6 and a HIS 4870X2. I am finding that when I am playing games, a buzzing noise comes from the computer. I have moved the GPU from the top PCI-E slot to the bottom PCI-E slot and still have the noise. I was finding that a buzzing noise was coming from the computer when I had a 8800 GTS GPU, but the noise wasn't as loud. I have a 1000watt Corsair Power Supply, Q9450 CPU and OCZ 1600MHz Platinum RAM. The parts are installed in a Silverstone TJ10 Case. Any ideas what could be causing this problem? I have tried unplugging the front USB and Audio Headers, and have removed all expansion cards.

Re: x48t-dq6 and 4870x2

Is the noise coming from the speakers, or inside the case itself?

If it is in the case you are going to need to test your card in another PC or test another card in your PC and see if the noise is from the card or not.

Other things that can make that noise is your PSU and caps on your motherboard

Comment

The sound is coming from in the case around the video card somewhere. Considering there was previously a fainter noise coming from the case before with my previous video card, I feel that it could be the motherboard. Considering that it makes the noise in both PCI-E slots, would there still be a possibility that it is the board. I thought that from using two different slots, it would be using different capacitors.

Comment

Well from what you say I am not sure. If it is the card then it would make the sound in any slot so slot number would not matter if it is the card.

I do not suspect the board itself personally until you rule out the card and PSU

The only way I can think you could tell is to try another card in your system and see if the sound is still there. Or take your card to a friends house and see if it makes the sound in his PC, or another PC in your house if you have

Comment

Thankyou for your reply. I have previously been using a 8800 GTS which in some games would make very faint noises, but it wasn't consistent in all games like the 4870X2. I'll try a different PSU and see what happens.

Comment

Don't you have a different card you can test in your system to see if the sound goes away? If not can't you take your card to a friends and see if his system then makes the same sound with your card in it?

Ya, it could be your PSU but I would not buy another one before I found out if it was the card making the sound or not

Have you adjusted the fan on the card, sometimes certain fan speeds may sound like buzzing rather then actual fan sounds as well. Just another thing for you to think about

I know the card is $$ Expensive and you do not want to RMA it, but it is better to find out if it is the card before you buy other new items and then later find out for sure it is the card.

Comment

I'm %100 sure that it isn't the fan on the video card making the noise. I have tested another card and it doesn't make the same noise. I might add that there was a funny faint buzz when playing games with the previous card, but not nearly as loud as the new one. It is a strange problem, I can hear buzzing noises when I scroll down web pages, etc.

Comment

OK, well I mentioned fan as a additional thought. You still need to see if it is the card or not, the capacitors on the card can also make this noise

Do you have a Sound card connected? If so can you move it to a lower PCI slot away from your GFX card, this also sometimes causes noises

Comment

Comment

So what are you asking here? Why his system is better then yours? That is only a few 100 points, maybe he has better ram timings or something else better then your build

And newer drivers is also not always better, maybe you should test some older ones.

If your PSU is making noises I would advise you upgrade it now and do not use the system until you get a new PSu or you might fry your board.

Comment

Originally posted by zoolio View Post
                      I have recently purchased a X48T-DQ6 and a HIS 4870X2. I am finding that when I am playing games, a buzzing noise comes from the computer. I have moved the GPU from the top PCI-E slot to the bottom PCI-E slot and still have the noise. I was finding that a buzzing noise was coming from the computer when I had a 8800 GTS GPU, but the noise wasn't as loud. I have a 1000watt Corsair Power Supply, Q9450 CPU and OCZ 1600MHz Platinum RAM. The parts are installed in a Silverstone TJ10 Case. Any ideas what could be causing this problem? I have tried unplugging the front USB and Audio Headers, and have removed all expansion cards.
                      Hi, i have the same problem with zoolio.

I didn't format my hard disk.

Comment

Ya, a format would not help. Have you tried moving your Card to the other slot? Have you updated the BIOS? If not PLEASE see here and DO NOT USE @BIOS >>

Can you test if this is the same with another PSU or card in your system?

Comment

Yes, i flash my bios with @bios, it's bad?

For my x48t dq6,the last bios is the f6a version, and i flash at the f5 version with @bios, so i reflash with an usb key and qflash?

I test my system first with a 720w enermax, then i bougth a corsair hx 1000w.

I test with my 8800gts v2 and no problem.

Comment

guys i have the same card. that buzzy noise that comes out from it is NORMAL. I returned my pc 3times to the shop to get it fixed and we tried with different manufacturers of the hd 4870x2(sapphire,asus) and it still makes the same noise on heavier load. One of the tech guys mentioned it was coming from impulse power controllers inside the card and tehre's nothing you can do to remove it. He also said that all newer graphics cards should be making that sound , some tho abit less.

So all in all: yes the hd4870x2 has better performance then it's nvidia counterparts and it costs the same as they do , but that comes at other costs:
                            - huge power supply consumption
                            - alot of heat in the card , heating the components around it
                            - sucky automatic fan control , which doesnt increase the fan speed in time when the card gets loaded and it overheats and reboots the pc(fixed by manually setting higher fan speed but it gets quite noisy)
                            - high buzzing sound

That's for me atleast , so now i'm thinking to switch the card for an nvidia one :(

Comment

Ok, so i think to take an geforce gtx280, i will retest when i get the sapphire card.

But i can't explain why i did 15700 points to 3dm06 with my pc(see the signature), and my retailer did 15980 with a e8500 at 3.16ghz.

Comment

Working...
                              X