Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R, the vdroop / vdrop is very large

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R, the vdroop / vdrop is very large

I have a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R, the vdroop / vdrop is very large, in set bios vcore 1.59375v

idle is 1,508 ~ 1.524v
    Full is 1.4720 ~ 1.4400v

would fix?

Re: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R, the vdroop / vdrop is very large

There is no loadline control in P45 boards yet. I am not sure if they will add it or not

If you want, I can look for your a Vdroop Mod page if you know what I mean. I have seen them for P35 boards but have not looked for P45 but I am sure they are posted somewhere if you want to Mod your board

Comment

Maybe he should be told that Vdroop is designed into the system???

Each phase requires one switching regulator, at least two MOSFETs, and a few other associated support components (mainly inductors and capacitors). Although the proper selection of these component values is beyond the scope of this article, the axiom - "bigger is always better" is certainly not true in this instance. For example, the addition of extra capacitors, the favorite VR circuit modification of the over-zealous albeit misguided basement-hobbyest, often does more harm than good. Understanding why there are those that attempt to make these changes isn't hard to do considering all the recent (actually, rather historic) negative publicity surrounding the dreaded "Vdroop problem" that seems to be prevalent in today's motherboards. We're here to tell you that you're much better of learning why Vdroop exists (and why it's needed), rather than attempting to hack up your expensive, well-engineered motherboard in a horrific effort to "correct" the problem.
      Intel Processor Power Delivery Design Guidelines and Specifications: Vdroop Explained - The Tech Repository Forums

Intel Processor Power Delivery Guidelines

If you've ever overclocked a system, chances are that at some point or another you've had opportunity to become upset with your Vdroop "problem." Some users, confused as to why their system refuses to exactly match actual processor supply voltage to the value specified in BIOS, are quick to blame the quality their motherboard; still others find fault with the difference noted between their board's idle and full-load processor supply voltages. Actually, load line droop (Vdroop) is an inherent part of any Intel power delivery design specification and serves an important role in maintaining system stability. In most cases, comments regarding unacceptable power delivery performance are completely unfounded. To make matters worse, unjustified negative consumer perception surrounding this often misunderstood design feature eventually forced a few motherboard manufacturers to respond to enthusiasts' demands for action by adding an option in their BIOS that effectively disables this important function.
      AnandTech: Overclocking Intel's New 45nm QX9650: The Rules Have Changed

From the same article:

Finally, let's take one last real-world look at the consequences of removing Vdroop. ASUS' implementation of this feature, labeled as Load Line Calibration and included with their latest line of motherboards, is particularly worthy of our attention for a number of reasons. The first is that setting lower voltages with this option enabled actually results in a condition in which the CPU voltage under load is higher than the idle voltage. Imagine our confusion as we desperately struggle to understand why our system is Prime95 stable for days yet continues to crash under absolutely no load. What's more, in spite of the absence of droop and for reasons unknown, enabling this feature artificially raises our CPU's minimum stable core voltage at 4.0GHz from 1.28V to about 1.33V. As a result, our system uses more power under load than is otherwise necessary. Our efforts to reduce our processor's supply voltage backfired - instead of lowering the system's total power consumption we managed to affect a 20W increase.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
        There is no loadline control in P45 boards yet. I am not sure if they will add it or not

If you want, I can look for your a Vdroop Mod page if you know what I mean. I have seen them for P35 boards but have not looked for P45 but I am sure they are posted somewhere if you want to Mod your board
        rather like a Mod, if possible pencilmod

vdroop is necessary, but not so huge

Comment

Yeah, Please remind me tonight via PM or this thread and I will look for you a pencil mod

YeahMerman thanks, Vdrop and Vdroop are necessary, but not always needed and for sure not always needed so large. I feel him for sure, I almost pencil modded my 965P because of a HUGE Drop. 1.59 should not ever got to 1.4 anything

Comment

Yeah, Please remind me tonight via PM or this thread and I will look for you a pencil mod

YeahMerman thanks, Vdrop and Vdroop are necessary, but not always needed and for sure not always needed so large. I feel him for sure, I almost pencil modded my 965P because of a HUGE Drop. 1.59 should not ever got to 1.4 anything
            ok, Thanks

Comment

Well I found you at XS. You should get a mod posted for you there once you take a picture for them

That is you best bet as I have not found a Shamino Mod, which is usually the guy who would post them

Comment

Seems to me if the board is out of spec it should be returned not hacked.

But if hacking for one's own enjoyment that is different even if misguided.

Comment

Originally posted by gugle View Post
                  vdroop is necessary, but not so huge

Intel Processor Power Delivery Guidelines (Cont'd)

In this next case we eliminate Vdroop altogether and examine the chaos that ensues. As illustrated by our model, removing Vdroop does nothing to reduce the magnitude of the idle to full-load transient but does increase the settling time as the VRM must recover to a higher final regulation voltage. As in the case of no Voffset, it is possible to exceed the maximum allowable CPU voltage (VID). Clearly, removing Vdroop gains us nothing and only serves to create problems that are more serious.
                  AnandTech: Overclocking Intel's New 45nm QX9650: The Rules Have Changed
                  Last edited by Merman; 08-26-2008, 08:43 AM.

Comment

thanks for information Merman, but it is very vdroop

It vdroop / vdrop mod for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R? - XtremeSystems Forums

Comment

Originally posted by gugle View Post
                      thanks for information Merman, but it is very vdroop

It vdroop / vdrop mod for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R? - XtremeSystems Forums
                      You are welcome for for the info.

I didn't see the mod. Are you having the booting problems, which are probably bios settings, before any Vdroop mod??? If so you have your forums mixed up. Booting problems are best posted here and Vdroop mod procedures on the Xtreme Systems forums.

Comment

I think he just wants the mod, no matter

I have helped him some with overclocking, but I think he is trying to reach a high overclock but needs to much volts in his opinion

Ya, usually over there someone will eventually do the mod and post it, just no one has yet so far. I been watching it myself

Comment

I think he just wants the mod, no matter

I have helped him some with overclocking, but I think he is trying to reach a high overclock but needs to much volts in his opinion

Ya, usually over there someone will eventually do the mod and post it, just no one has yet so far. I been watching it myself
                          I understand but he did post this on the XS forum on 8/26.

the motherboard restarted, and now it's more boot
                          it turns on or off, On-Off

I tried clear-cmos, remove the battery, exchange CPU, VGA, but nothing happens.

is calling and off, and does not emit any beep

help me
                          Definitely the wrong forum for this kind of basic help and everyone in that Xtreme Motherboard Vmods forum thinks their motherboard has too much Vdroop.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Comment

Working...
                          X