Optimizing my BIOS settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimizing my BIOS settings

Alright, I've successfully flashed the BIOS (Big thanks to LSD) but now I need to optimize my BIOS settings before I reformat my computer. So I'll list my computer configuration:

GA-X38-DQ6
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
    Sapphire ATI Radeon HD3870
    Sapphire ATI Radeon HD3870
    OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2-1066 PC2-8500 2GB memory stick (5-5-5-18) 2.1-2.2V
    OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2-1066 PC2-8500 2GB memory stick (5-5-5-18) 2.1-2.2V
    TruePower Quattro 850w PSU
    Western Digital RAPTOR 150GB 10,000 RPM
    Plextor PX-800A CD-RW/DVD drive

Everything else is onboard on the X38-DQ6 motherboard. I've done this once before but I wasn't quite sure that I completely optimized the BIOS. So, is there a good place for me to go that will help me optimize my BIOS? Or is there someone on these forums that can help me? I'd greatly appreciate it! :D
    Last edited by JWT2k6; 08-24-2008, 02:21 PM.

Re: Optimizing my BIOS settings

Well I posted and pinned two guides for optimizing and overclocking a Gigabyte board, have you read them over? If not you should so you can get to know your BIOS better.

Here is what you should use for your system with no overclock at 2.4GHz >>>

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [266] = 2.4Ghz (9 X 266 = 2.394)
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [4.00] = 1064 Ram Freq
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________12/15

These settings below are ranges, start with the highest and later move Lower ONE AT A TIME and test after each move otherwise you will never know what is causing your errors if you move to many at once

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 4-6 (9-12)
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-6 (11-14)
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________52-62 (May do 48-50 once you get started Tweaking it)
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-6
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV or 900mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal] <<< 150ps for quad (May not be needed until you up the FSB)
    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal] <<< 250ps for quad (Same as above)

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +0.15V- +0.2V] << Will need +.1 likely more for 2x2GB
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.35] <<< You can leave in Auto for now until you overclock

Comment

Alright, I have a couple of questions:

1) The System Memory Multiplier (SPD) has two options for 4.00: 4.00A and 4.00C. Which one should I use?

4.00A -> FSB 266
      4.00C -> FSB 200

2) I don't even see a "Performance Enhance" option available. It's funny now because I swear I did have an option like that which lets me choose "Standard", "Turbo", etc. etc.

3) I don't see any of the options between "Performance Enhance" and "System Voltage Control" that you listed above.

4) For the CPU Clock Skew and the GMCH Clock Skew changes, you noted that I may not need them until I up the FSB. Do you mean when I change the FSB OverVoltage Control to +0.1V?

5) For GMCH Overvoltage Control, you say that I will need +.1 likely more for 2x2GB. Do you mean I would need +.1V total or +0.2V total?

6) On CPU Voltage Control, you noted that I can leave in auto until you overclock. Do any of the changes you recommended constitute an overclock? I've never overclocked before and I don't particularly want to at this point.

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Ok Sorry so long to reply

1. You are using FSB of 266 so you would choose 4.00A for the 266 Strap

2 + 3. Yes, those were the available choices for this setting. Sounds like you are using a OLD BIOS which you will need to either update or do the following >>>

On the MAIN Page of the BIOS hit Ctrl + F1 and the screen will flash, then go into MIT section and you should see the rest of the Hidden settings you are not seeing now.

Some of the newer BIOS's have this Ctrl + F1 Hotkey removed and all settings are shown reguardless. If you are using a newer BIOS then you either did not load optimized defaults and save and apply after you flash.... Or the X38 BIOS's just simply have not been update to not need this hotkey.

It is a normal thing to have to use this, I will add it into the Memory Guide I think it is already in the Overclocking guide.

Sorry to have not mentioned that, but I had not seen anyone ask in so long I thought all BIOS's had been updated will past this need for the Hotkey

4. No I meant when you start overclocking past 400 or so FSB. You do not need FSB Voltage +.1 at stock CPU speeds, but you can add it for stability if you like

5. I mean you will likely for sure need at least +0.1V but may need 0.125, 0.150, or 0.2 depending on if you can get your ram stable or not, and what Voltage options you have on that setting. +0.1 or +0.15 or +0.2 all will be fine and no harm in using them. If you find .1 fails and you do not have .125 or .15 then use .2

6. Nope all settings Above are for stock, no overclocking at all. You can even leave the ram subtimings in Auto if you like but you will get better ram performance if you take the time to set them. If you do decide you want them in Auto, at least set Refresh to Act to 52-62 for 2x2GB and Static tRead Value to 7-8

All of the above is just making stock better, no overclocking at all except for your ram overclock to 1066. But that is what you bought so you must overclock it to run 1066MHz otherwise it will run at 800MHz

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I have two more questions and then I think I'll be done.

1) The "Performance Enhance" option is defaulted at "Turbo". I set it back down to standard, but I was curious as to why Turbo is the default option in the first place.

2) Some of the ranges you provided were higher than the default, so I left them alone. I'm assuming this is alright if my hardware can handle the lower numbers than provided in your listed ranges.

Comment

Well, because they want your system to be FAST! No, really I am not sure as in a lot of configurations and especially for people who do not even go in the BIOS this causes many issues.

That all depends, If you are stable then yes that is ok. But just so you know what you see as "Default" on the left if AUTO is used is not always what you get in windows. It is just what the BIOS happens to be using at that specific time.

What settings specifically do you mean anyway as some will matter if they are too low

Comment

Working...
            X