Just Brought GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Brought GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R

Okay I have taken the time to read up on a lot of things regarding this motherboard so know I hope you can answer a few Questions. Heres what I got:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R
    Intel Q6600 GO
    2GB Mushkin DDR2 1066mhz
    Swiftech H20-220 Water Cooling
    Window XP x64

I'm going to be installing windows xp x64 today and my question is regarding the Bios update to F9:

1. After I load Windows XP x64 do i then go into bios and Qflash to F9? Doing that will it install all previous Bios updates or do I need to do each update seperate? Or do I install Bios updates before I install windows xp x64?

2. The overclocking tool for this motherboard, is it best to use the Bios or will this tool provide same?

Please provide as much feedback as you can for the bios update I will be using a USB pen that I have so if anyone has done the update with this please list steps of what is needed in the easiest way possible :)

I'm new to the forum but I hope I can find a good place to come and chat here because my wife has had it with me talking about computers to her lol. I guess I will list 10 ways working on your computer can ruin your marriage lmao.

Also if someone with same setup can post their bios so I know where to start to get to 3.2-3.4 would be a big help or if a Mod can provide me with a template on where to start also. I have been reading over forum so far and I think I am really in love with all the helpful information I'm finding.
    Last edited by Shauntx; 08-23-2008, 05:53 PM.

Re: Just Brought GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R

Hi Shauntx,
    I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the support and information available here. Plenty of experienced people to help with your new system.
    There is no need to flash all the various BIOS updates - BIOS updates are not like Windows patches. You only have one BIOS operating at a time; hopefully, the one that works best for your computer (not necessarily, but usually the latest update). If everyone is saying that F9 is solid, I'd start with that. Optimally, I'd flash the BIOS before I even loaded the O/S, but you should be able to get through the O/S install with whatever version is currently on the mobo, then flash to F9. I have used the Windows-based and the BIOS-based flashing techniques, but many people have confirmed that the Windows-based system is potentially hazardous to your system (i.e., could brick it), so use Q-flash.
    I would not recommend using the Gigabyte OC tool (nor, for that matter, the DES energy management tool). You will find plenty of support here to get your system stable and then overclock as you wish by properly setting the BIOS parameters.
    You can see my basic stable settings at:

to get you started, but keep in mind that I have an E7200 and the DS3L mobo and 800mhz memory. There will be some differences.
    Funny comment about your wife...mine is also getting glassy-eyed every time the topic turns to computers...especially Linux.
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
    Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

Hey thanks for the fast reply I think I will update bios before I load windows as you said. Hopefully a mod or someone with Q6600 can give provide their bios settings to give me an outlook of what I need to change. Also yeah sometimes its at the point where I have to sneak on the computer and tell her I'm just paying some bills lmao... Any know of any good computer addictive groups lol I think I might have to attend a few classes because I can't ever see myself going without a computer more than 3-4 hours at a time.

Comment

Do you have 2x1GB DIMMs or just one 2GB stick?
        I think you can find settings for your CPU and memory by searching recent threads here. If not, LSDmeasap will likely give you some specific guidance.
        Hey, there are certainly more destructive habits out there than computer addiction...
        Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition

Comment

I can post you some settings for Q6600. Soon as you update your BIOS let me know what speed you are trying to run your CPU at and I will post some settings for you.

To update with Qflash you will need to extract the BIOS file on a different PC if you do not have windows installed yet

You can flash using a USB Stick, must be FAT32 or FAT16 either will do. Legacy USB Storage Detect Must be enabled as well in Integrated Peripherals page. Put the BIOS only file on the USB and leave it in when you reboot to Qflash. The one Name BIOS_Filename_Example.FX <<<< X is the BIOS #

You can also make a FAT32 1GB partition on your Hard drive and put the BIOS files there and from Qflash you will then be able to choose Disk/HD as well and see BIOS files within this 1GB partition

The exe is a SFX file (Self extracting file) made to extract the BIOS file (.F10 << Example of F10 Bios File extension) along with the DOS flash based utility to a Floppy drive, to flash in DOS. You can double click this EXE though and let it put all 3 files onto a floppy and Qflash will see only the needed BIOS file.

But if you want to use USB or the 1GB partition way you will need to extract the BIOS file out of the exe. To do this you will need winrar, here is the trial >>>>
          WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files

Scroll down and download "WinRAR 3.71"

Then after you install this, you will right click the exe BIOS file and choose Extract Here. 3 files will be extracted, only the .F7 (Again .F7 is a example of a F7 BIOS file extension name) will be needed to flash. This .F file is the actual BIOS file and is the only one you need to flash with any of the above 3 methods

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
            I can post you some settings for Q6600. Soon as you update your BIOS let me know what speed you are trying to run your CPU at and I will post some settings for you.

To update with Qflash you will need to extract the BIOS file on a different PC if you do not have windows installed yet

You can flash using a USB Stick, must be FAT32 or FAT16 either will do. Legacy USB Storage Detect Must be enabled as well in Integrated Peripherals page. Put the BIOS only file on the USB and leave it in when you reboot to Qflash. The one Name BIOS_Filename_Example.FX <<<< X is the BIOS #

You can also make a FAT32 1GB partition on your Hard drive and put the BIOS files there and from Qflash you will then be able to choose Disk/HD as well and see BIOS files within this 1GB partition

The exe is a SFX file (Self extracting file) made to extract the BIOS file (.F10 << Example of F10 Bios File extension) along with the DOS flash based utility to a Floppy drive, to flash in DOS. You can double click this EXE though and let it put all 3 files onto a floppy and Qflash will see only the needed BIOS file.

But if you want to use USB or the 1GB partition way you will need to extract the BIOS file out of the exe. To do this you will need winrar, here is the trial >>>>
            WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files

Scroll down and download "WinRAR 3.71"

Then after you install this, you will right click the exe BIOS file and choose Extract Here. 3 files will be extracted, only the .F7 (Again .F7 is a example of a F7 BIOS file extension name) will be needed to flash. This .F file is the actual BIOS file and is the only one you need to flash with any of the above 3 methods

Okay will do and if you want you can post examples of bios that I will need for 3.2-3.4ghz. Also I'm using 2 (1gb sticks of memory). So am I correct to use the F9 lastest update before I install windows xp x64 right?
            Last edited by Shauntx; 08-23-2008, 07:07 PM.

Comment

OK, I will post you some settings tonight when I get back online.

Please read thru both pinned guides I posted while you wait to get better familiar with some of the BIOS. Yes I know it is not the same, but it will help you some for sure.

Yes if you want to flash you can do it now or later. Does not matter when you flash

Comment

OK, I will post you some settings tonight when I get back online.

Please read thru both pinned guides I posted while you wait to get better familiar with some of the BIOS. Yes I know it is not the same, but it will help you some for sure.

Yes if you want to flash you can do it now or later. Does not matter when you flash
                Thats it I found a home here not only are you guys fast but I get to speak to Forum MODS geez! This is unheard of from all the other forums I have been on. I'll await your bios examples for a q6600 thank you Sir.
                Last edited by Shauntx; 08-23-2008, 09:26 PM.

Comment

DaShaun,
                  Slightly off topic, but just wondering...why are you going with XP 64? Unless you have more than 3GB of memory, I can't see what XP 64 buys you other than a bunch of potential driver headaches. If you do intend to scale up to 4GB sooner or later, you might want to consider going Vista x64, which has much better driver support than XP x64. The 64-bit flavor of XP is a bit of an orphan, in my opinion.
                  Of course, we can really get your wife mad and dual boot your machine with a 64-bit Linux O/S...

Comment

Originally posted by mxcrowe View Post
                    DaShaun,
                    Slightly off topic, but just wondering...why are you going with XP 64? Unless you have more than 3GB of memory, I can't see what XP 64 buys you other than a bunch of potential driver headaches. If you do intend to scale up to 4GB sooner or later, you might want to consider going Vista x64, which has much better driver support than XP x64. The 64-bit flavor of XP is a bit of an orphan, in my opinion.
                    Of course, we can really get your wife mad and dual boot your machine with a 64-bit Linux O/S...
                    No I have both Vista 64 bit and Windows Xp 64 however I have after testing and comparing the two found out that Windows xp 64 hands down is by best! Windows Vista well I think the name says it all (good try) Windows Xp 64 drivers are actually pretty easy to find! You just got to know where to look. If you get a chance can test the two let me know what you come up with! Windows vista still has some time to prove itself to me. Windows xp 64 is nice and I enjoy the speed on one of my other computers. Also on my other computer I started using it because I have 12 GB of ram.
                    Last edited by Shauntx; 08-23-2008, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Ok, to each his own...
                      I've been using XP since before it was called XP and still have 2 XP machines (kids). I resisted Vista for a long time, primarily because of the bad press, and because I hate the thought of the O/S chewing up so much resources, but frankly, Vista runs everything at least as quickly as XP for me, and the resource issue is largely irrelevant when you have a 500gb HD and 4gb of RAM. When I do get on the XP boxes now, I actually feel the downgrade from the Vista environment. I'm not trying to convert anyone and for sure, choice is good.

Comment

Originally posted by mxcrowe View Post
                        Ok, to each his own...
                        I've been using XP since before it was called XP and still have 2 XP machines (kids). I resisted Vista for a long time, primarily because of the bad press, and because I hate the thought of the O/S chewing up so much resources, but frankly, Vista runs everything at least as quickly as XP for me, and the resource issue is largely irrelevant when you have a 500gb HD and 4gb of RAM. When I do get on the XP boxes now, I actually feel the downgrade from the Vista environment. I'm not trying to convert anyone and for sure, choice is good.

Yeah I hear ya. There are many things that I do like on vista (softer on the eyes). But alot of the programs I have created and been working on too are used for windows XP I might convert them within next 6 months (wife will really be mad because that can take weeks to do lol).

Comment

Hey, No problem. I am here to help, as are many of our other members. Ya we are not as large as alot of places, but we all do try to chime in as soon as we can to help others.

Here is some suggested settings for 3.2 for now. I will help you with 3.4 if you think you can reach it with your cooler, and after you play with your PC for a while!

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
                          Robust Graphics Booster ...............: [Auto]
                          CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 9
                          Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
                          CPU Frequency ...........................: 3.20GHz (9 X 355 FSB = 3.195)

Clock Chip Control
                          Standard Clock Control
                          CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
                          CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 355 Mhz (FSB)
                          PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
                          CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
                          PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
                          CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 150ps << Both may work fine with lower
                          MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 250ps <<< See above

DRAM Performance Control
                          Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
                          Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
                          (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [400]
                          System Memory Multiplier ..............: 3.00
                          Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 1065 MHz
                          DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
                          CAS Latency Time........................5
                          tRCD ......................................... 5
                          tRP'...........................................5
                          tRAS..........................................12/15

The timings below, and the one 12/15 ranger above, are ranges. Set to highest and once you get your CPU stable you can start to bring them down. ONE AT A TIME with testing between each move or you will never get stable because you move too many and you wont know which is causing the errors

Advanced Timing Control [Press Enter]
                          tRRD...........................................3-4
                          tWTR..........................................(4-6) 9-11
                          tWR............................................3-5
                          tRFC...........................................(48-50) 52-62
                          tRTP...........................................3-6
                          Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Channel A
                          Static tRead Value.........................:7-10
                          tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
                          tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                          tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                          tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                          Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
                          Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                          Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                          Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
                          Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
                          Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Channel B
                          Static tRead Value.........................:7-10
                          tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
                          tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                          tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                          tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                          Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
                          Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                          Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                          Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
                          Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
                          Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
                          Voltage Type.………... Manual
                          CPU
                          CPU Vcore….……….........................: 1.30-1.35V See Below >>>

This is up to you and your Board/chip/cooler. A good place to start would be 1.30-1.4 or so. If it wont boot add some more. As long as your temps are good you should be good up to 1.5+. Again with you not knowing much you of course will have some issues here, I would suggest you leave the ram at the highest settings I suggested until you get your CPU Stable

CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: <<< Leave
                          CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: <<< Leave
                          CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< Leave
                          CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< Leave

MCH/ICH
                          MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 1.2V - 1.3V
                          MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
                          MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
                          ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< Leave
                          ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< Leave

DRAM
                          DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.1V
                          DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
                          Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
                          Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

Advanced Settings
                          Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                          No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                          CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                          C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                          x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                          CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                          CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                          Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Just so you know now and not wonder or get scared. A bouble reboot is normal when changing BIOS settings. So if you see a double boot it is fine, as is single of course. Which will only happen with minor changes. A double is the norm.

A triple reboot means the settings failed and the BIOS MIT section will be reset to default, you will need to try again. This is usually to tight of ram timings, or not enough CPU Voltage

Comment

Here is some suggested settings for 3.2 for now. I will help you with 3.4 if you think you can reach it with your cooler, and after you play with your PC for a while!

WOW you are great I will try these settings, also I'm using Liquid cooling so I don't think temps will be a factor. Also when I go to check the memory by chance does anyone know how to do it? Do I need to get something to open that .iso file? or just download it like the bios? I want to try and get everything as good as I can.

Comment

Ahh, yeah a ISO is different then any other file. It is a image file and must be burned as such.

No extraction. You need to burn it differently then most all other data. If you have Nero here is how, along with some other ways. >>>
                              How to Write ISO Files to CD

How to burn a ISO Image using NERO

Burn ISO File - How to Burn an ISO Image File to a CD or DVD - Write ISO File

How to burn a ISO Image using Nero Burning ROM - www.hiren.info

I use UltraISO or MagicISO, both of which I believe have trial Versions, but I am not sure of those limits so best to use above methods.

MagicISO Download and How to, just incase you do not have Nero or do not want to try the freeware linked first >>>
                              Using MagicISO to create ISO image files
                              MagicISO - Burn ISO, BIN, NRG

Unless.... You have a floppy, in that case just download the floppy version.

Comment

Working...
                              X