Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45 DS3L random freezing issue

Hi,

I am new to the forum as you can see, and I am not following well the computer hardwares trend etc -- put it this way, I am pretty much a noob but is keen to learn, so take it easy one me please!

With some research and recommendation, I have recently built a new computer on my own... while being proud of putting everything together since its the first time I do it, I am having some troubles with the system as per title. My build is as follow:

GA-EP45 DSRL (not sure what was the stock bios version...)
    E8500
    2x1G Apacer DDR 800
    W.D. 620G HD sata
    Gigabyte 9800gtx
    Thermaltake 550W

I built this 3 days ago, putting everything in nicely, except I am not sure how to install the ram properly to enable dual channel... but anyway, I put both sticks in bank 1 and 3 (same colour).

I have installed Windows XP with service pack 2, and update it straight to service pack 3. Everything was running fine with no freeze until I install the stock graphic card DVD driver; post restarting I then got this random freeze (where the screen just stop at where it was, mouse not working, keyboard freezes with numlock/caplock not responding, harddrive LED constanly lighted up), which could be 1 minute to 10 minutes after booting into OS.

I uninstalled the video driver, and things got back to normal again! I thought it could be due to the drivers so I downloaded the latest NVIDIA drivers and installed them, restarted, things started again!

I uninstalled the drivers once again, and did some research, found that there are some new bios available. I noted the latest is f8 but only f7 is available for download on the Australia website (which is where I am from), hence I flashed it to f7.

I did another fresh XP reinstallation, followed by drivers, update to SP3, and then NVIDIA drivers. I left it alone but not doing anymore updates but just surfing the net for about 1.5 hours, no freeze nothing, thought I got a stable system then but I did another windows update and install some non-essential fix and software. AFter finishes installing windows media player 11, I restarted, and the there is this pop out saying GVSR.exe closes down unexpectedly, and then 2minutes after, it freezes!! Been rebooting and it just keeps happening like before... so I decided to uninstall whatever I installed in the last update, including windows media player 11 --> system back to stable state! And I left it there formatting my 400G partition overnight, and this morning I check, the system still works fine! So then it makes me wonder if windows media player 11 has anything to do with it hmm...

Came across thsi forum and several other posts elsewhere, I noted that there is this significant issue with the memory issue with this board, I just wonder if I could just save myself from worrying that this system could hang up anytime if I install something or if the memory compatibility is an issue that makes this board prone to fail etc etc etc, and return the board for an ASUS P5Q (though it is about AUD30 more expensive.... which I rather pay than having endless hours to deal with the issue) as I heard the ASUS is pretty stable.

ANy input will be highly appreciated! Thanks!!

Re: GA-EP45 DS3L random freezing issue

Congrats on building your first PC!!!!

That is correct for Dual Channel 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 is the slots to be used

Nvidia drivers (ATI as well) always have issues. I normally find a older version and keep using it for a while until I hear a newer version is working good. If you would like older versions go here >>>

Nvidia >>>
    Download NVIDIA drivers | drivers for mobile cards and laptops | laptopvideo2go.com

ATI >>>
    Old Version of ATI Catalyst Drivers Download

I doubt WMP has anything to do with this, Do you have the latest Intel Chipset Drivers installed? If not go here and install them and see if it helps your issues >>>
    Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters

Choose your system and then download the infinst_autol.exe file and double click when download is done then reboot

This is the ONLY thing google turns up for GVSR.exe, does not look good >>>
    INTEL 845 GVSR.EXE, Spyware Remove

Had you installed other things or been to some sketchy sites already on your new install?

I doubt this has anything to do with your issue either, but just thought I would inform you about what I had seen.

*NOTE*
    Do not install the software on the page above I linked about GVSR, it is likely spyware as well. Just wanted you to see that it is OLD Spyware

Do you have the MIT section all on Auto? This all sounds like a memory related issue as well to me. Freezing is normally one of three things. A virus/or spyware, A hard drive going bad, or ram related errors.

I do see Apacer is on the QVL ram list, and it is not in my personal list of NON compatible ram so you should be ok with that brand. Have you tested it with memtest86+? >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Always best to test ram as soon as you get up and running, or on a different stable system, when you first buy it. For a few reasons, DOA happens.... with all brands. And it saves you headaches in the long run so you are not trying to get a dead or dying stick to stop giving you issues because you did not know it was dead/dying

You should do that, if you get errors redo it with one stick at a time until you find the one with the errors if any.

If your ram errors, please link me to the place you bought it so I can see the specs. Then I will give you some suggested stock settings to test again. I say that because leaving things on AUTO in the MIT section of the BIOS often times is incorrect and could also cause the errors itself.

Comment

Hi,

THanks for the reply! I will try the memtest later the night!
      By the way, its actually GSVR.exe, not GVSR... my bad! And it seems like its something to do with power management with gigabyte's board??

GSvr.exe - Program Information

Thanks again! I'll keep you updated!

Comment

gsvr is the service for Gigabyte's DES program. That piece of shyte always crashes - amazing that they shipped it with the mobos. I would strongly recommend uninstalling DES and just live with SpeedStep and C1E setting in BIOS for power management.
        However, I would be surprised if that is the source of the system hangs. Sounds more likely to be the video driver.
        Yes, you picked a very challenging motherboard for your first build. I have never had so much trouble getting a system stable in my life, and there are plenty of people on this forum having similar problems.
        Good luck getting tech support from Gigabyte, who just avoids whatever issue you might bring up.
        Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
        Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

Ahh ok guys, yeah it was a typo then. Yeah DES is not worth the troubles, and it has been shown to only save 2-3$ a year anyway. I would uninstall it as well

Please post back if you need more help with MIT settings once you get up and running

Comment

hi,

how do i actually uninstall it then?

yeah it does sound like i am putting myself in a pretty difficult position by picking this board for my first build :( really thinking of returning it for exchange but shall see how it goes. the vendor that i bought this from (MSY Australia) offers me tech support (small fees apply) as he knows there are a lot of people having trouble with this board...

i haven't got the chance to run memtest yet but again the computer has been stable-ish, hasn't got any freezes since i flashed the bios to f7 and removed windows media player 11... whether it was just pure luck or what.

i downloaded and flashed the bios again to the latest f8. went on to surf the net and in less than 30 minutes, it freezes! so i went to bios and check the settings... the settings were 5-5-5-18 as auto, i increased the MCH core to +.1, and dram voltage to 2.0 (based on my memory of what I read in some other threads here before...), save and exit... first boot freezes in startup screen, 2nd boot freezes 2 minutes into windows, 3rd boot freezes 1 minute into windows...

i then changed the ram from 1/3 to 1/2 (as for the 'bank' if thats what its called)... i think thats single channel. reboot and went into windows but didn't last 1 minute as well.

so i reboot again and reset bios to optimised default, rams are still in 1/2 slots, managed to stay in the windows long enough to download bios f7 again and flash it back to f7...

and now i am writing this! it is about 20 minutes since i booted into windows... so fingers crossed.. i am leaving the windows open and need to head out for 8 hours... hopefully i see the system stil running...

see what you guys think!
            Last edited by prion; 08-23-2008, 06:30 AM.

Comment

You can simply uninstall DES from the Add/Remove Programs tool in XP.
              I doubt Windows Media Player is your culprit either.
              You kind of lost me on the flashes...did you end up at F7?
              You definitely need to Memtest86(+) your DIMMs one at a time and then together to eliminate any memory failure possibilities. Then go through and apply the BIOS settings recommended by Lsdmeasap in various threads on this forum. My settings for a similar board are at:

You should be able to get dual-channel stable with F7. I don't know about F8 yet...have not tried it. Unless it is stated that F8 addresses the resume from S3 BSODs, I don't intend to install it.
              Last edited by mxcrowe; 08-22-2008, 09:55 PM. Reason: Drinking beer prior to posting...
              Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition

Comment

If you do want some suggested settings let me know what you are wanting to run your CPU at and I can post you some.

The above is correct for removing the DES software

If you do decide to Get a different board instead of giving yourself the time to attempt to get this one going, I would suggest a GA-P35-DS4 or GA-P35-DS3R, they are great overclocker and have a less advanced BIOS. Just telling you my suggestions here incase you decide to get a different one while no one is around trying to help you here.

Yes, please test the ram for sure.... DOA happens with all brands and can be the cause of errors for sure. DOA does not always mean Dead is all I mean here, please test!

Comment

hi mxcrowe, sorry I did mean that I ultimately flashed to f7... it was a typo and i have editted and bold the error, sorry! i'll try uninstalling DES later, just got home... and amazingly the machine is still running! i am typing now from the system booted since this morning when i wrote the previous post.

as for the memtest, i will try to run it tonight and post the results tomorrow. as for suggestion of how i want to run my pc... i am not sure what are the choices i have actually :P i would say just... to run it normally as a stock machine? i don't mean to overclock anything at this stage... at least not with the current state of the machine which i'm not even sure how stable it is! and i haven't got enough knowledge to do so yet...

thanks for the help guys! i am really grateful!

Comment

by the way, one other thing: its about the chipset driver.

Lsdmeasap, i used the link u posted and downloaded the latest chipset driver infinst_autol.exe, double clicked it, and with the install shielf i just click next twice, then without any installation process seen, in less than 0.5 sec it says that installation is finished, and i am prompted to click 'finish'... it doesn't even ask me to reboot, i was like erh... what the??

i ended up downloading an extractable chipset update and manually update all update-able system device (under device manager), so far it works fine... *fingers crossed*

Comment

is DES = 'Energy Saver Advance'?

can't see any other thing on add or remove programme :\

Comment

I don't remember exactly how they list it in the Add/Remove programs app, but that sounds like it. DES stands for Dynamic Energy Saver, though it is often listed as Dynamic Energy Saver Advanced. In this case, "advanced" means "retarded".

Comment

Well that likely happened because/if you installed them off the disk the program saw no need to update them as it saw they were installed.

Yes, DES is the Energy Saver application (Dynamic Energy Saver)

Comment

Interestingly there was an infecton that just so to happen out of the blue and I couldn't clean it effectively, I just did a full XP reinstallation! I ended up installing these stuffs in order: the latest chipset drivers downloaded into my usb, updated XP to SP3 + associated security updates, then NOD32 antivirus, spybot S+D, windows defender, did a thorough scan with no infection, installed graphic drivers, and the whole process took me about 4 hours... no freezes at all.

I then had to install nero for burning the memtest iso... and interestingly, the system hangs at the very beginning of installation of nero 8!! just like how it freezes before i flashed the bios. or just like how it freezes when i installed windows media player 11. i rebooted, and tried again, and same thing happened and the same timing! so i have to dig out my old cd of nero 7, insert it to my dvd drive... praying hard, and the installation went fine without freezing! weird! very weird! i quickly burn memtest onto a cd rom.

while the DIMMs are sitting at 1/3, i removed each of them at one time and ran memtest with no errors. While I am writing now, I am at work and at home the sytem is probably still running the memtest with BOTH DIMMS at 1/3. By the time I get home I will report if it is a normal test or not.

But what is it with this freezes post flashing bios to f7, when they happen at thetime of installing some specific programs?? I haven't retried installing windows media player 11 on this XP installation, I suspect I might get the same response but who knows, but it is weird that each time I tried to install nero 8 it hangs, but with nero 7 it works... what on earth!!!

I haven't done any tweaking with the rams just yet as lsdmeasap suggested to finish testing the ram making sure they are not DOA first... which seems like the case.

While I am learning stuffs during this process, I do need this system to be up and running ASAP, and this prolonging issues with freezes due to unknown reasons is starting to drive me crazy! Each time I thought things were going fine... they weren't!

Comment

Nero 6 FTW if you are using XP...... 7 and 8 suck for sure

You can also grab a trial of MagicISO to burn ISO's if you like. Or there is plenty of actual freeware to burn ISO as well, unless you use Nero for other things you may want to look into that

As for your F7 comment, any number of things could be wrong with the BIOS itself. That is why there is often Beta's and updates. Not only to add things in but fix past things that are messed up.

Will your CPU support F6? If so you may want to try that one out

Comment

Working...
                              X