• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• budget G31 mobo killing USB devices

RIP lacie 160gb drive
    RIP adata 32gb USB
    RIP sandisk 4gb USB drive.

All been plugged into a gigabyte G31-S2L motherboard.

It works fine as well, except the fact it hates flash drives (mouse and keyboard work, tried plugging into front headers, and they still work fine).

Who do i send the bill to?

Any help?
    Last edited by Johnny123; 08-20-2008, 10:38 PM.

Re: budget G31 mobo killing USB devices

Well you went cheap, what did you expect.......

J/K Sorry, Just had to say it as I seen the "Budget" board mentioned.

So, were these all plugged into the Same USB slot or port? Legacy USB Storage Detect Enabled? What are you powering them with if a external source is needed?

Comment

tried different ports and it's not just the one port which kills devices. This is in a computer i built for someone.

Comment

Ahh.....

So are you there when it kills things? Or do they just tell you this, is it believable that the board did it and not them somehow? Just asking

I would think something else is killing them if the keyboard and mice survive, but you never know.

As for replacement if the 160GB drive is a Seagate they will replace it no problem, not so sure about other Disk Manufacturers RMA service

As for the others I am not so sure. If it was me I would take them back to the store and claim DOA

Comment

Hello Johnny123,

Did you measured all PSU voltages (+12/+5/+3.3)? Are they under the tolerance?
          GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
          i5-4690K + Corsair H90
          Sapphire Radeon R7 240
          16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
          Corsair CX750M
          Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
            Ahh.....

So are you there when it kills things? Or do they just tell you this, is it believable that the board did it and not them somehow? Just asking

I would think something else is killing them if the keyboard and mice survive, but you never know.

As for replacement if the 160GB drive is a Seagate they will replace it no problem, not so sure about other Disk Manufacturers RMA service

As for the others I am not so sure. If it was me I would take them back to the store and claim DOA
            Well, I had to transfer a file to it, so i tried one USB which worked in my computer, put the file on there then plugged it into the other computer and nothing happened, then plugged back into mine and nothing happened, then tried in 4 laptops and two other computers and nothing. That happened with all drives.

The 160gb external has a toshiba laptop sized drive in it.

Originally posted by svcglobal View Post
            Hello Johnny123,

Did you measured all PSU voltages (+12/+5/+3.3)? Are they under the tolerance?
            Hmm, it's a new computer so i don't suspect the power supply is to blame but i'll have a look and come back.

Comment

New does not always mean working within specs. He is correct the PSU may be giving out wrong voltages and frying things

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                New does not always mean working within specs. He is correct the PSU may be giving out wrong voltages and frying things
                Absolutely. I was told by one graduate Newegg's staff that the second place of things returned via RMA are PSU's (the first are memories and third MoBos)...
                GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
                i5-4690K + Corsair H90
                Sapphire Radeon R7 240
                16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
                Corsair CX750M
                Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

Ya, The MOST Important thing in your setup is your PSU. It is the Life of your PC, something to not skimp on for sure!

Comment

Working...
                  X